Bills opening stadium discussions with NYS and Erie County

Big Turk

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who’s “we”?

"We" the Bills & Bills fans.

It's pretty normal at this point in conversation to refer to your team as "we." But if it bothers you, just replace it with "they," and the point is the same :)

11 hours ago, BigDingus said:

It's pretty normal at this point in conversation to refer to your team as "we." But if it bothers you, just replace it with "they," and the point is the same :)

"Bite the bullet, take the hit now, and foot the bill for a new venue so we can avoid throwing more money away down the line."

Why should Bills fans be stuck paying for this?  That should bother anyone.

Leave the fans out of that "we".  Non-fan taxpayers as well.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

Why exactly is the NFL demanding a “new” stadium? I don’t understand the economics begins building a new stadium versus the existing one. It’s not that a new stadium will fit more butts in the seats. 

Basicly 500 mil brings Buffalo to bottom third in stadium quality.  For another 500 mil they probably have a top 10 or 5 stadium.  Instead of a frat party they can make the in stadium experiance better.  As much as tailgating got us through the 20 years of suffering the league and Pegulas are not a fan of it.  

To answer the economics are little to any impact.  Imo having a nice stadium to an owner is the same as having a franchise qb.  Also, a Billionaire doesnt want to be told by anyone that something he has is outdated...

Edited by Mat68

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Something that @Kirby Jacksonpointed out that matters here: you can't create a new pricing structure without a new facility. That alone makes a new stadium a given. 

Those who are getting emotional about the old stadium I love may be disappointed. I see this ending with a new stadium, probably downtown. One guy’s guess. With or without Kirby’s info, it makes too much sense to ignore. 

On 4/3/2021 at 10:53 PM, BigDingus said:

I think the point is where does the money come from?   

1 hour ago, haroldwaide said:

With a good chunk of infrastructure needed fir a new stadium all ready in place in OP it doesn't make sense to start new someplace else.  Plus, they've had 47 years to study traffic at that location.  Always a plus, in my opinion.

Not intended to be too argumentative: but if an NFL city’s downtown road infrastructure can’t handle the traffic from a 65,000 seat stadium when virtually the entire crowd ‘car pools’ to the event on a Sunday afternoon ...then it isn’t an NFL city. Downtown Buffalo’s road system will be fine. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, haroldwaide said:

With a good chunk of infrastructure needed fir a new stadium all ready in place in OP it doesn't make sense to start new someplace else.  Plus, they've had 47 years to study traffic at that location.  Always a plus, in my opinion.

One reason to replace what we have is what we have is getting old. I know I was surprised to learn that Highmark (meh) Stadium is older than War Memorial was when it was replaced. And those of us old enough to remember that dump believed it was built by the Romans.

But the real reason for a new stadium is money. It's why the NFL has been pushing for one for what seems like forever. As far as the league is concerned, Bills tickets are too cheap. And you can't simply double prices in your current stadium. You have to build a new palace.

And it's more than just ticket prices. Other than charging you for parking, teams don't make money off tailgating. Instead of acres of people eating food they brought with them, replace it with bars and restaurants in and around your new palace, some of which the team owner might have a stake in.

So get ready for change.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 4/3/2021 at 7:41 PM, Saint Doug said:

Why exactly is the NFL demanding a “new” stadium? I don’t understand the economics begins building a new stadium versus the existing one. It’s not that a new stadium will fit more butts in the seats. 

One thing to remember is the NFL shares some revenues like TV deals. Basically that shared revenue covers player costs. There is a lot of money being shared. 

So what I'm trying to say is the Buffalo Bills likely wouldn't survive without shared revenue. So that's part of the reason why there is pressure on the Bills to get this done. They have to keep up with the league. Bills need to increase their revenue. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

I’ve posted this before. The Bills have an opportunity to provide a completely different game day experience. One that fits their tail gating tradition and small city feel. A really creative design team would construct a new, modest, smaller capacity, open air, but covered seat stadium in Orchard Park that would have parking facility amenities to reinforce the tailgating experience. Then, simply charge more for parking and people would pay it. Large parking lot food, restroom, video, etc venues would make the pre and post game experience truly unique to WNY and very fitting to the Buffalo experience.

Edited by SoCal Deek

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve posted this before. The Bills have an opportunity to provide a completely different game day experience. One that fits their tail gating tradition and small city feel. A really creative design team would construct a new, modest, smaller capacity, open air, but covered seat stadium in Orchard Park that would have parking facility amenities to reinforce the tailgating experience. Then, simply charge more for parking and people would pay it. Large parking lot food, restroom, video, etc venues would make the pre and post game experience truly unique to WNY and very fitting to the Buffalo experience.

The only people who want to keep the tailgating tradition as is are the fans.

The Bills and the NFL want no part of it. It makes them no money and does nothing for "The NFL image"

I understand it from the NFL point of view. When someone inevitably breaks their neck or back, the NFL and the Bills are going to come in hard.

At this point, I don’t really care what happens.

I would prefer to stay in OP, but I am a throwback traditionalist type. That said, I had plenty of fun out there as a little kid in the 80’s, as a teen/college guy in the 90’s, and well into my adult life as a season ticket holder. For most of the drought years it wasn’t even about the game, but more about the fellas and the food and the bustin chops at the tailgate. So many good memories with good friends and family.

If it all changes it changes, I’m sure the next generation will make their own way, one way or the other.

But whatever happens, I hope they keep public money out of it. Let the billionaires club foot their own bill.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Lol at the covered seat part. The Bills have the worst wind of any team. Covered seats isn't helping much. 

Wherever it is built, cover the whole stadium.