Bills opening stadium discussions with NYS and Erie County

Big Turk

2 hours ago, BTB said:

I like how whomever dreamed that up, made the 190 disappear.  😂

I also like how the field house is down there, when there is no reason why the administration and practice facilities would not stay in OP. 

There was talk of burying the 190 under downtown ala Big Dig. But it would be easier to do if they dug out the highway next to the current one.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/31/2021 at 10:31 AM, PrimeTime101 said:

that is a horrible conclusion you have there. A domed stadium will bring in way more revenue then just a bills game. Way more revenue then the current stadium from other events. If you build it they will come. We almost had a MLB team come here but not enough seats. You could create a dual purpose situation at the hopes of bringing other things then just football.

the MLB quest was dropped by the prospective owners when they seen the crazy(at that time) franchise fee to join. They backed out and went minor league only.

Pilot field was built with plans and engineering built into it to add a second deck and be completely MLB ready in all aspects.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/31/2021 at 10:47 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The top of the current stadium is low. Could they just put a roof over the current?

they looked into that a couple times and determined the engineering was not tenable. Highmark is a old open air style that is very laid back. Roof spans would be too long.

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But still more than none which is what the option would be if they do an open-air stadium.

Again, no one is expecting a major revenue generator. But something is more than nothing.

Given the cost of a roof, they would be better off with no roof and no handful of indoor events per year.

There is something:  Bills stadium in Orchard Park

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

See my post above.  Lucas has 4 nonfootball events booked after the NCAA Final 4 through next January.  1 concert.  The place still sits empty a lot.  The convention center has a handful of large events booked through October.

Making a new convention center won't bring in more conventions.  There aren't enough regional events booking to make any financial sense and outside events aren't skipping Buffalo because of the convention accommodations.....

can't compare this covid restrictive era to normal years.

24 minutes ago, cba fan said:

can't compare this covid restrictive era to normal years.

I cited similar stats for that same venue a few years ago when this topic last came up.  It's a "gold standard" Stadium/Convention center----and still underbooked annually.

Let the rich guy build his house.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

the MLB quest was dropped by the prospective owners when they seen the crazy(at that time) franchise fee to join. They backed out and went minor league only.

Pilot field was built with plans and engineering built into it to add a second deck and be completely MLB ready in all aspects.

Actually Buffalo was passed over for Miami in expansion. But then Bob Rich was offered the Expos for $190MM instead. He passed. He never had to pay a franchise fee but he know he could never afford to compete in MLB.

8 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Build walls where the current fencing is, and use that to support a roof structure over it.  Boom, done.  You can keep the stadium as is, and have a dome. 

Jack really? The concourses. The concourses. The concourses. The bathroom troughs... There are certain structural issues that can't be overcome due to the foundation of the stadium for moving people around. I love the stadium but can easily see so much downside that isn't remotely worth saving. It's time I'm afraid, to move on. Let them figure it out.

$1B for a brand new stadium... or half that to renovate the same stadium, again.

I love the Ralph but it’s time Buffalo got a new stadium. It’s like kicking the can down the road. Then 6-7 years from now, renovate again or spend another $500M?

I say this but keep it in Orchard Park. Same Spot

4 hours ago, cba fan said:

second deck would need to be 110% more seats then the rest of the deck combined near 90 mil project not everyone was down with

On 3/30/2021 at 11:31 PM, jeremy2020 said:

I don't think they have much choice. I believe the NFL is pushing hard for them to get a more modern stadium. So the question is should the team move or should they get get a new stadium/update the existing?

There is no option C. "leave it alone". 

Yeah... And get their meat hooks in parking and tailgate.  Leave it alone.  The new biz model NFL will be the death knell for WNY football.  We're cooler draggers... 

On 3/30/2021 at 10:41 PM, Logic said:

If they're going to build a new stadium, I hope it stays in Orchard Park.

I can't remember which team's new stadium it was (Pittsburgh? Houston?), but they just built it on what used to be the parking lot of the old stadium, and turned the site of the old stadium into the new parking lot.

I'm all for whatever it takes to keep the Bills in Buffalo long term, but game days sure would lose a lot of their charm and what makes them special if the stadium left Orchard Park for downtown Buffalo. Having been to away games in city centers, I can say that the Bills game day experience is much, much, MUCH more fun and unique and special. 

Keep the Bills in Orchard Park.

That’s what they did in Foxboro. Built the new stadium on the parking lot

2 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

$1B for a brand new stadium... or half that to renovate the same stadium, again.

I love the Ralph but it’s time Buffalo got a new stadium. It’s like kicking the can down the road. Then 6-7 years from now, renovate again or spend another $500M?

I say this but keep it in Orchard Park. Same Spot

In 7 years, it'll likely be even more expensive to renovate.

It's just crazy to look at how much it cost teams like Arizona, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, etc. to build their stadiums...yet we'll be paying half a billion jsut for renovations. If we keep pushing it back, costs will just soar even more out of reach. 

When you think about it, Jerry World was the crown jewel of the NFL & treated like a crazy attraction. By the time we start building, we'll probably be paying more than Jones did. Sinking another half a billion dollars into renovations just feels like a huge money sink. Bite the bullet, take the hit now, and foot the bill for a new venue so we can avoid throwing more money away down the line.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve mentioned it before: I believe Rich Stadium is older than the Rockpile was when it was torn down. That’s hard to get your head around. I’m guessing it’s time for it to go. 

That’s wild

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

In 7 years, it'll likely be even more expensive to renovate.

It's just crazy to look at how much it cost teams like Arizona, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, etc. to build their stadiums...yet we'll be paying half a billion jsut for renovations. If we keep pushing it back, costs will just soar even more out of reach. 

When you think about it, Jerry World was the crown jewel of the NFL & treated like a crazy attraction. By the time we start building, we'll probably be paying more than Jones did. Sinking another half a billion dollars into renovations just feels like a huge money sink. Bite the bullet, take the hit now, and foot the bill for a new venue so we can avoid throwing more money away down the line.

Who’s “we”?

• Thank you (+1) 1

The future is the generic downtown dome with faceless corporate sponsorship with the "biggest jumbotron" for the next 3 months until the next stadium is completed. It has what the NFL wants for seating, luxury suites, concessions etc. The NFL will get it. Either now or in a decade. Enjoy the awesome current stadium experience with all of its warts while it lasts. 85% of whats great about home games aren't the troughs you pee in, but the people you avoid looking at while at the trough. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2