Bills opening stadium discussions with NYS and Erie County

Big Turk

15 hours ago, Nitro said:

I disagree. There are plenty events to put in a football stadium specially downtown.  Indy hosts large conventions, NCAA basketball games, concerts, marching band competitions and GEN CON among the numerous uses.  It hinges on having a convention center close by.  Indy downtown has exploded in hotels, restaurants, bars, condos and apartments.  It could be a boon for Buffalo.

They have NCAA tournament games at the arena.  They have concerts there too.  Are those events programmed at the appropriate venue?  I’d say so.  I don’t see 40,000 people showing up to NCAA tournament games unless it’s the Final Four.  Would Buffalo get that part of the tournament?  Doubtful at this point.  How many musical acts are stadium worthy?  Not that many compared to arenas if you’re using that as part of Return on Investment.  

Buffalo has a convention center now that isn’t used that much from what I can gather.  It’s an old building that needs to be replaced.  That might help get more events in the city in general.  

I just don’t see a retractable roof on the horizon.  It’s possible; I know some fans want it or assume it will be part of a new building.  I’m just skeptical.   Folks need to worry less about a roof and more about the public transit and railway access if a stadium is put downtown.  Time for the city to step into the 21st century.

Here's an idea: 

imagine LIVING in an NFL stadium.

condos with a view of the field.... 

You don't even have to leave home to watch the game at your team's stadium! 

It would be like living in a luxury box, with a private entrance so fans couldn't invade your apartment. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's an idea: 

It would be like living in a luxury box, with a private entrance so fans couldn't invade your apartment. 

Done! 

https://www.playpennsylvania.com/veterans-stadium-secret-apartment-memoir/

16 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's an idea: 

Didn’t they have that in Toronto? I seem to recall hotel rooms that looked into the stadium. Not sure if they were popular but I’d imagine that’s a way better idea than having your full time residence look into a dark empty stadium much of the year. 

On 4/1/2021 at 9:45 AM, May Day 10 said:

A renovation to Rich Stadium would be unlike anything that has previously taken place and quite possibly could displace the team for a portion of a season (or more).  Maybe the closest thing was the 1998 renovation when they added the clubs.

It would basically be rebuilding a new stadium in-place, much like they did in Chicago, Green Bay, and Kansas City.  The latest thing in 2013 or whatever, was largely cosmetic.

It's my understanding that the upper decks need to be replaced. That makes sense in a 50 year old concrete and steel structure that lives in a nasty winter environment in a place where they use rock salt. If it were a bridge nobody would argue why it needs to be replaced at this point. The supporting columns have already had work done to them at least once.

That kind of work can't be done in one off-season. Even if you start immediately in January or February you can't have everything torn down and reconstructed by August. There would likely be a season with no upper decks at all if they were able to even play in the stadium during the construction. The Bears played at U of Illinois for a year while Soldier Field had an upper deck added, etc. UBs facility isn't up to snuff, even on a temporary basis, and frankly I doubt that the 40 year old Carrier Dome is either. What does that leave? Hamilton? Toronto?

Think of it this way, the current stadium is already older than the Rockpile when it was replaced. That opened in 1937 and was vacated in 1972. 45 years. The current stadium has been in use from 1973 to 2021. 48 years.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, purple haze said:

They have NCAA tournament games at the arena.  They have concerts there too.  Are those events programmed at the appropriate venue?  I’d say so.  I don’t see 40,000 people showing up to NCAA tournament games unless it’s the Final Four.  Would Buffalo get that part of the tournament?  Doubtful at this point.  How many musical acts are stadium worthy?  Not that many compared to arenas if you’re using that as part of Return on Investment.  

Buffalo has a convention center now that isn’t used that much from what I can gather.  It’s an old building that needs to be replaced.  That might help get more events in the city in general.  

I just don’t see a retractable roof on the horizon.  It’s possible; I know some fans want it or assume it will be part of a new building.  I’m just skeptical.   Folks need to worry less about a roof and more about the public transit and railway access if a stadium is put downtown.  Time for the city to step into the 21st century.

See my post above.  Lucas has 4 nonfootball events booked after the NCAA Final 4 through next January.  1 concert.  The place still sits empty a lot.  The convention center has a handful of large events booked through October.

Making a new convention center won't bring in more conventions.  There aren't enough regional events booking to make any financial sense and outside events aren't skipping Buffalo because of the convention accommodations.....

• Agree 1

On 3/31/2021 at 6:57 AM, TroutDog said:

Personally, I love the sight lines of Rich as well as the location. I also love the tailgating and ticket prices. Should they build new all of that will radically change which isn’t appealing to me. 

The flip side is I hate the weather in the latter part of the year...I’m not 20 anymore. 

With all of that being said I lean towards keeping Rich. 

The league will put up at least $200k

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Public officals, the team itself isnt huge on tailgaiting.  Down town is probably the move.  More bars, and soon more gambling options pregame.  Less rowdy outside.  Less exterme intoxication.  More likley to take kids.  Lose the weather and tailgate gain louder stadium and better experiance in the stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2021 at 11:22 PM, boater said:

Renovate Hallmark.

I am not copacetic with the increase in property taxes that would come with a new stadium. I bought my house in 2016 then experienced an immediate 8% jump in my mortgage. I'd like to avoid another soaking.

Leave NY😉

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

See my post above.  Lucas has 4 nonfootball events booked after the NCAA Final 4 through next January.  1 concert.  The place still sits empty a lot.  The convention center has a handful of large events booked through October.

But still more than none which is what the option would be if they do an open-air stadium.

Again, no one is expecting a major revenue generator. But something is more than nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But still more than none which is what the option would be if they do an open-air stadium.

Again, no one is expecting a major revenue generator. But something is more than nothing.

True, but that roof isn't even in the ball park of "Free".  Pardon the pun.  You need a whole lot of events to pay for a $500 million roof.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Just Jack said:

Build walls where the current fencing is, and use that to support a roof structure over it.  Boom, done.  You can keep the stadium as is, and have a dome. 

Giant E-Z up. Just need some dudes at each corner. Boom. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

True, but that roof isn't even in the ball park of "Free".  Pardon the pun.  You need a whole lot of events to pay for a $500 million roof.

How is closing up the building 33%-50% of the budget?

It isnt going to be retractable. That isnt really reasonable in WNY, nor will it be retracted when most fans wish it to be. Not worth it. Just put a roof on.

10 minutes ago, Kelsayrundefense said:

Stop bursting his bubble

Good dome pun :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'll just put this here. Could be another April Fools prank.

I like how whomever dreamed that up, made the 190 disappear.  😂

I also like how the field house is down there, when there is no reason why the administration and practice facilities would not stay in OP. 

Edited by BTB
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Didn’t they have that in Toronto? I seem to recall hotel rooms that looked into the stadium. Not sure if they were popular but I’d imagine that’s a way better idea than having your full time residence look into a dark empty stadium much of the year. 

Roberto Alomar lived in the hotel during his time with the Blue Jays. There are rooms that overlook the playing field. 

• Like (+1) 2