Bills opening stadium discussions with NYS and Erie County

Big Turk

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

We almost had a MLB team come here but not enough seats. 

This isn't a serious point, is it? 

Lack of seating at the former Pilot Field was NOT the reason we didn't get a major league team, Bob Rich and our bad demographics were the reasons.

You do know that the baseball stadium was built to support an eventual upper deck, right?

Edited by BillnutinHouston
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kelsayrundefense said:

Yes the vaunted convention center idea.  So many people are looking to skip Las Vegas, Orlando and Chicago and come to Buffalo. 

No one is saying they'll pack it with conventions. But having the option and the ability to generate any revenue outside of merely 10 days a year is smarter than not having it.

With Buffalo's central location to so much of the NE population, they certainly could try to rope in a couple of different events. Better than none.

12 hours ago, Logic said:

If they're going to build a new stadium, I hope it stays in Orchard Park.

I can't remember which team's new stadium it was (Pittsburgh? Houston?), but they just built it on what used to be the parking lot of the old stadium, and turned the site of the old stadium into the new parking lot.

I'm all for whatever it takes to keep the Bills in Buffalo long term, but game days sure would lose a lot of their charm and what makes them special if the stadium left Orchard Park for downtown Buffalo. Having been to away games in city centers, I can say that the Bills game day experience is much, much, MUCH more fun and unique and special. 

Keep the Bills in Orchard Park.

Exactly. My concern with the downtown thing is that what gets talked about is what it would do for downtown, not what it would do for the experience at the stadium. I think there's benefits and detractions to the game experience by being downtown, but they've never seemed like a major concern when a downtown stadium is talked about. 

There's also that looming question of, is it really that great to have a massive plot of land that doesn't do anything for the vast majority of the year in the middle of a city?

40 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ehh, to me, the real essence of Mafia-dom happens inside the stadium when we bring one of the most raucous environments for an opposing team to play in.

The "tailgating" we are now (in)famous for is just buffoonery that was added to make the games entertaining since the product on the field was so bad for so long. You can keep the "I had my first beer today" frat party. We can go back to the tailgating that was around back in the 80s-90s when it was centered around some good food before a good game.

Very well put.  Thanks for putting "tailgating" in its proper perspective.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

This isn't a serious point, is it? 

Lack of seating at the former Pilot Field was NOT the reason we didn't get a major league team, Bob Rich and our bad demographics were the reasons.

You do know that the baseball stadium was built to support an eventual upper deck, right?

They specifically said when they chose a different location that lack of seating had a play in it. I didn't say it was the main reason but It had a play in why they didn't come.

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

They specifically said when they chose a different location that lack of seating had a play in it. I didn't say it was the main reason but It had a play in why they didn't come.

Link?  While my memory differs from yours about what explanations were given, what you are asserting would have been an incredibly shallow and disingenuous explanation, given that it was well known to the public and more importantly to decision makers that the stadium was designed to be expandable.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

This is the key point. You end up sinking 500 mil into Renos every 5 years and instead of a new stadium you will have spent the same cost in 10 years and gotten the same old stadium with pretty new signage and bigger concourses. Just stupid. Rebuild it already. 

Exactly!!!! It’s frustrating to see the wasteful spending.

24 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I disagree. The stadium was built knowing it could be expanded to major league size if we got a team

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

What the city could use is a real brick and mortar amphitheater downtown.  That could bring a lot of people down there multiple times a week during the Summer months.  

This would be great, and there is plenty of land on the outer harbor(just a stones throw from downtown), but the powers that be along with some misguided public input, insist that ALL OF IT becomes park land.  😡

53 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Lack of seating at the former Pilot Field was NOT the reason we didn't get a major league team. Bob Rich and our bad demographics were was the reason.

I fixed your post.  I'll never forget Bob Rich waving a blank check around(in front of the media) at an owners meeting...when it was still a possibility.

Edited by BTB

7 minutes ago, BTB said:

This would be great, and there is plenty of land on the outer harbor(just a stones throw from downtown), but the powers that be along with some misguided public input, insist that ALL OF IT becomes park land.  😡

I fixed your post.  I'll never forget Bob Rich waving a blank check around(in front of the media) at an owners meeting...when it was still a possibility.

until he found out how much it would cost

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, teef said:

did your taxes just get adjusted to what you bought the house for?

Well I think that means you leave in New York won't get political  well get yelled at.

But last time I checked we are the highest in the country. And where I live we are the highest in upstate NY $33 per $1000.

So the school kids thank you.

FYI my cottage in the 1000 island is seasonal use with a discount av240k taxes are still $6400.

Condo in the keys av445k taxes are $1100

Just saying 

Maybe chandler can build an addition and we can stay with him at his place

24 minutes ago, Special K said:

Give me one of these please:

Vikings-Stadium-Timelapse-2-GIF.gif

Can we build it that fast also

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

What the city could use is a real brick and mortar amphitheater downtown.  That could bring a lot of people down there multiple times a week during the Summer months.  

That would be a nice, I’d love a small scale amphitheater that attracts smaller shows though. There’s just too much competition in NYS for the big shows with all these 10-20K outdoor amphitheaters, especially with the control Live Nation has. I think the future of music is going to be more centered around these smaller venues. Just give me some good music in downtown Buffalo on those nice summer days, and I’m happy. It wouldn’t even need to attract huge acts. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Without tailgating, a significant fraction of today's audience will not attend.  Downtown is a loosing idea except for the social engineering folks.

Tailgating as you know it will go away with new Stadium anyway. Downtown Dome Stadium makes the most financial sense 

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Just copy and paste Lucas Oil stadium in downtown Buffalo. 

Totally disagree about Lucas Oil. We already have enough historical (and decaying) warehouses in Buffalo.  Why Disney it up with fake architecture like that when we should go modern. Do something that stands out and is dynamic.  I cringe every time I see Lucas Oil Stadium.

waterfront%20stadium.jpg

40fa01ac4891db551ee15a5068df5bf1.jpg

4 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Without tailgating, a significant fraction of today's audience will not attend.  Downtown is a loosing idea except for the social engineering folks.

They'll be there. You'll be there. Everyone will be there. And those that dont go, wont be missed. Plenty of folks waiting to take their spots, especially with a winning team. No one is concerned with the Tailgate Die Hards, nor should they be.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Well I think that means you leave in New York won't get political  well get yelled at.

But last time I checked we are the highest in the country. And where I live we are the highest in upstate NY $33 per $1000.

So the school kids thank you.

FYI my cottage in the 1000 island is seasonal use with a discount av240k taxes are still $6400.

Condo in the keys av445k taxes are $1100

Just saying 

Maybe chandler can build an addition and we can stay with him at his place

you're preaching to the choir.   i also live in monroe county, (i think we're the second in the state), the family has a place in sackets harbor, and i have a building in ontario county.  it's gross.  soon i'll be paying tax on 3 places in NY.  

i was more just wondering why your taxes went up so much.  i just assumed you they were adjusted to your purchase price.  

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Link?  While my memory differs from yours about what explanations were given, what you are asserting would have been an incredibly shallow and disingenuous explanation, given that it was well known to the public and more importantly to decision makers that the stadium was designed to be expandable.

Ok I don't need to explain it to you. I am going by my memory and what I remember was said back then.. and thats that. Lets get back on topic shall wel?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I disagree. The stadium was built knowing it could be expanded to major league size if we got a team

yep. You said it. They would have to expand to major league size right? from 20k seats to 45 k seats. There you have it. Do you know the cost of doing that? The difference I am trying to tell you is It would already be set up size wise for MLB. Thats all I am saying. Was Location and not big market place part of it or even most of it? Yes.. But seating had a role. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No one is saying they'll pack it with conventions. But having the option and the ability to generate any revenue outside of merely 10 days a year is smarter than not having it.

With Buffalo's central location to so much of the NE population, they certainly could try to rope in a couple of different events. Better than none.

The "build new convention centers" call form some reason won't die.  This topic has been put to rest countless times, one would think.  This country is flooded with convention space.  Buffalo has plenty  (and isn't fully booked).  

Pegula can pay for whatever stadium he can image.  Let's leave the state's taxpayers out of this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2