Bills opening stadium discussions with NYS and Erie County

Big Turk

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

that’s a great point too.  Let’s get fans back in the friggin’ current stadium, first.

Completely unrelated to the topic here. Yikes.

The powers-that-be can discuss stadium plans AND they can figure out how to get fans back in the current stadium next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

New stadiums aren't always better. As a long time Jets season ticket holder( I am a Bills fan though) I prefer Giants Stadium over MetLife. The only advantage MetLife offers is wider concourses and trips to the bathroom go much faster. That's it. What I was paying for at Giants Stadium was $1700 for everything. At MetLife its $3700 for everything including PSL fee. You know how they say **** runs down hill. Guess who is at the bottom of the hill.  The Johnson's and the Mara's aren't paying for MetLife and the Pegula's won't be paying for a new stadium either.

so  $3,700/8.5 home games per year (ignore preseason; they are joke) comes out to over $400 per game per seat?    that is crazy expensive.  that is what Bills fans will have to look forward to.    So for a family of 4, that's almost $2,000 per game.   No thanks.   

28 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I live just outside Indy and I've been to Lucas Oil a few times.  it's beautiful, but most times I'm there they have the roof closed and it just seems like too sterile an environment for an old fart like me.  My best memories of Bills games are in the snow or rain.

worst job to have going forwrad is a commercial real estate broker.  A lot of companies realized they don't need all the space they had.

It's shaping up to be a disaster on the commercial side.  Office, retail, healthcare sectors are all thinking about dramatically cutting their square feet. 

19 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

so  $3,700/8.5 home games per year (ignore preseason; they are joke) comes out to over $400 per game per seat?    that is crazy expensive.  that is what Bills fans will have to look forward to.    So for a family of 4, that's almost $2,000 per game.   No thanks.   

My PSL fee $5000 per seat ( I have 2 seats) which I am paying over 10 years ( $1000 per year) isn't close to being the most expensive. My seats are lower level (row 3) directly behind the goalpost. If you have seats lower level on the 50 you are looking at 50,000 PSL fee per seat as the most expensive. These seats go to corporations or extremely rich people. Buffalo is a different market than NYC/NJ so I doubt the Pegula's could charge what the Jets-Giants do but the cost will still go up bigtime. For Bills ticket holders enjoy the current stadium at decent prices for as long as possible.

pegula's simply doing their due diligence

they know exactly what they want....a new domed downtown stadium is inevitable

just a matter of when (i say opens in 2030 ) and how much they can extract from the state/taxpayers

PSL's will knock out most current STH's

also, i'd venture a guess if they did absolutely the bare minimum to the current stadium it would last another 20 years

10 hours ago, Logic said:

If they're going to build a new stadium, I hope it stays in Orchard Park.

I can't remember which team's new stadium it was (Pittsburgh? Houston?), but they just built it on what used to be the parking lot of the old stadium, and turned the site of the old stadium into the new parking lot.

I'm all for whatever it takes to keep the Bills in Buffalo long term, but game days sure would lose a lot of their charm and what makes them special if the stadium left Orchard Park for downtown Buffalo. Having been to away games in city centers, I can say that the Bills game day experience is much, much, MUCH more fun and unique and special. 

Keep the Bills in Orchard Park.

Where exactly in OP do you want it? 

53 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

It's NYC everything is crazy expensive.  A drink at a bar is $20.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, boater said:

Renovate Hallmark.

I am not copacetic with the increase in property taxes that would come with a new stadium. I bought my house in 2016 then experienced an immediate 8% jump in my mortgage. I'd like to avoid another soaking.

i don’t even live there anymore and I agree with you. Soaking taxpayers for a new building that generates revenue 10 days a year for entertainment purposes when a perfectly fine one is already there is irresponsible. Homeowners there already pay way too much in state and local taxes. 

53 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

that is a horrible conclusion you have there. A domed stadium will bring in way more revenue then just a bills game. Way more revenue then the current stadium from other events. If you build it they will come. We almost had a MLB team come here but not enough seats. You could create a dual purpose situation at the hopes of bringing other things then just football.

The owners and govt matter.  We don’t.  Not popular, but true.  So think from their perspective.  A retractable dome like Lucas Oil in the first ward by the Bisons and Buff News building would be good for the city, the legislation by their Sabres and park and hotel as they would probably (Pegulas) build more hotels so they can make even more $.  The state would love revitalizing and the city as more state dollars into infrastructure.

it sucks for fans unless the pegulas by enough land to have tailgate areas that they make even more $.  It’s all about $.  Nobody cares what we want.

I grew up in Hamburg and most friends in OP, so I hate it moving.  The infrastructure is great, the off lots are awesome, and is just Buffalo, but again we don’t matter.  It’s big business.  The govt., and the owners are going to do whatever is Brest for them.  It’s why one of the only positives which pales to other far

more important matters is COVID put this on hold.  I hated the last year and all of us have seen the terrible effects of society.

in make world, we spend $400-500 mil or more and revitalize the Shield or whatever they call it, and put this off again.  I just don’t see it.  I love going to games in OP.  I have no desire to go downtown.  I just don’t see anyway staying in OP happens.

58 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

yes in most markets, attending live sporting events is a rich person affair. 

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The owners and govt matter.  We don’t.  Not popular, but true.  So think from their perspective.  A retractable dome like Lucas Oil in the first ward by the Bisons and Buff News building would be good for the city, the legislation by their Sabres and park and hotel as they would probably (Pegulas) build more hotels so they can make even more $.  The state would love revitalizing and the city as more state dollars into infrastructure.

it sucks for fans unless the pegulas by enough land to have tailgate areas that they make even more $.  It’s all about $.  Nobody cares what we want.

I grew up in Hamburg and most friends in OP, so I hate it moving.  The infrastructure is great, the off lots are awesome, and is just Buffalo, but again we don’t matter.  It’s big business.  The govt., and the owners are going to do whatever is Brest for them.  It’s why one of the only positives which pales to other far

more important matters is COVID put this on hold.  I hated the last year and all of us have seen the terrible effects of society.

in make world, we spend $400-500 mil or more and revitalize the Shield or whatever they call it, and put this off again.  I just don’t see it.  I love going to games in OP.  I have no desire to go downtown.  I just don’t see anyway staying in OP happens.

Everyone is afraid of change till the change happens and they love it.   Domed stadium in buffalo?  You could bring in other professional sports, way more events held at the stadium.  But man.. many of us have gone back and forth on this topic many times on these forums... and here we go again lol

• Like (+1) 1

How many times can you keep pouring money into a 50 year old stadium? I love the old place, but seriously it’s time. Taxes are going to keep going up regardless because you live in NY state so kicking the can down the road 10 more years is dumb.  Just build the new stadium already. The longer you wait, the more the price tag goes up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Draconator said:

If they build new at the current location, there's the family that has the graveyard right in the middle of the OP Location. The original plan for Rich/Ralph/New Highmark stadium was to have the sidelines where the end zones are now. They needed to move the cemetery on the property. The family who owns the cemetary gave a flat out no. Just another kink into building where it is now. I would prefer a Downtown location (without a family cemetery on the property). 

Can't even tell you the number of times I peed on that family!!!  No disrespect to the dead - but they ARE dead.....

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

With that theory you should play in a Texas high school stadium for $100, (of which some are as nice as what we have today.) Seriously they aren’t going to build a stadium that outprices the area. You don’t live in NYC or Chicago or San Fran so making that seat license season ticket comparative is unnecessary. 
There should be a stadium that is indoors like in Detroit so it has so many more uses and therefore you can actually grow more revenue from it. Detroit’s average ticket price is $15 more than the Bills and Arizona’s is $10, both still well under the league average. Think outside the Box. The current stadium is very limiting to other uses. You can have a nice stadium and not explode ticket prices! 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193595/average-ticket-price-in-the-nfl-by-team/

Also interesting but Jerry Jones big butt expensive stadium has under league average prices !! So maybe the answer to to go back to higher capacity like it used to be. If it seats 79K like it used to you can charge less because you make a ton more on concessions and parking. An indoor stadium with that capacity would be friggin loud. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

that is a horrible conclusion you have there. A domed stadium will bring in way more revenue then just a bills game. Way more revenue then the current stadium from other events. If you build it they will come. We almost had a MLB team come here but not enough seats. You could create a dual purpose situation at the hopes of bringing other things then just football.

Just my opinion based on a set of market realities; revenue outside football won't be meaningful, or very relevant to what the PSL or ticket prices will be.    new stadium, new pricing.  simple as that. 

MLB isn't coming and really big events likely will not generate meaningful revenue from such a small market , plus wrecking the football sightlines with a multi sport stadium won't happen. 

A $billion stadium cannot possibly be a smart investment.   Go the Lambeau route, just make what's there better.   Keep the vibe, its what makes the fan/player/community experience what it is.  

40 minutes ago, Greg S said:

My PSL fee $5000 per seat ( I have 2 seats) which I am paying over 10 years ( $1000 per year) isn't close to being the most expensive. My seats are lower level (row 3) directly behind the goalpost. If you have seats lower level on the 50 you are looking at 50,000 PSL fee per seat as the most expensive. These seats go to corporations or extremely rich people. Buffalo is a different market than NYC/NJ so I doubt the Pegula's could charge what the Jets-Giants do but the cost will still go up bigtime. For Bills ticket holders enjoy the current stadium at decent prices for as long as possible.

even if Bills numbers are half of that, it is insanely expensive for 3/4 of the seats.. and I am sure all kinds of other events are held in the meadowlands to "offset" the costs (haha)

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Everyone is afraid of change till the change happens and they love it.   Domed stadium in buffalo?  You could bring in other professional sports, way more events held at the stadium.  But man.. many of us have gone back and forth on this topic many times on these forums... and here we go again lol

Not afraid of change but assuming you’re talking to others.  My points are what I expect.  Might as well deal with it.  The powers will want a shiny new revenue stream.  For those that hate it, at least you know we are here for as long as the Pegulas own the team.

Downside, get ready to pay a lot more, and maybe you go to a couple of games vs. seasons for the regular guy.  They know Buffalo’s market can’t afford Philly, Chicago type prices, but it’s going to go up dramatically.

• Like (+1) 1