Bills opening stadium discussions with NYS and Erie County

Big Turk

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm pretty sure they know exactly what they want and where. Funding discussions probably take up most of the next couple years. We'll be in a new stadium before Josh Allen turns 30.

They've already been doing this research for nearly a decade. 

This is no different from what I said...best case 5 years.  3 recent domes have taken approximately 3 years from ground breaking...and there will be at least 2 years of design/site acquisition/financing/etc...

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Build new. 65,000 seat dome. Location will be the question. 

There is literally no point to renovate. It's a waste of time and money. Build new or leave it alone.

I’m okay with leaving it alone! ;)

(Minus any absolutely necessary structural repairs, of course).

Pegs just lost his negotiating power once it was named HighMark stadium. Should have accepted an offer from the sanitation department when they wanted to call it The Dump. No need for new funds or a new field now, since our stadium sounds so shiny and new.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BTB said:

This is no different from what I said...best case 5 years.  3 recent domes have taken approximately 3 years from ground breaking...and there will be at least 2 years of design/site acquisition/financing/etc...

Oh ok. I thought you were saying it would take 5 years before they started to do anything. 

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve never been to Lucas Oil. What specifically do you like about it? 

I've always heard people say Ford Field would be perfect for Buffalo. $400 something million about 20 years ago though. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Because they renovated... 

Ok. How many times has our stadium been renovated in the last 10 years alone? At least twice and we are still being pushed for a new stadium. That's the point I'm trying to make

29 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Ok. How many times has our stadium been renovated in the last 10 years alone? At least twice and we are still being pushed for a new stadium. That's the point I'm trying to make

They spent hundreds of millions on their renovations pretty much completely changing their stadium($655m for bears $400m for packers).  We moved some bushes around, made bigger entrances and painted($130m)

There’s different kinds of renovations. Ours were bandaids theirs were pretty much complete rebuilds. Completely different. 

The bowl needs to be replaced, concourses widened, plumbing(I think they fixed a lot of that during last reno) it’s like $500m+ estimate to get everything where it needs to be to last another 20-30 years 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The article you linked references a $911 million estimate.... *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*

21 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Has anyone asked if we will be allowed to go?

Starting April 1st both the Mets and Yankees are allowed up to 20% capacity providing people can provide a negative test or proof they got the vaccine. Don't know if the rules are different for upstate NY vs NYC and football is still months away. Goodell said yesterday the league expect full stadiums this fall. I would pay attention to how things go with the Yanks/Mets attendance wise since they are NY the Bills will probably follow what they do. Hopefully things get better and their can be 72,000 in attendance.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

They spent hundreds of millions on their renovations pretty much completely changing their stadium($655m for bears $400m for packers).  We moved some bushes around, made bigger entrances and painted($130m)

There’s different kinds of renovations. Ours were bandaids theirs were pretty much complete rebuilds. Completely different. 

The bowl needs to be replaced, concourses widened, plumbing(I think they fixed a lot of that during last reno) it’s like $500m+ estimate to get everything where it needs to be to last another 20-30 years 

Have you seen Lambeau? For all the money they put into that stadium it doesn't look like anything special. You can tell just by watching it on TV that it's a much older stadium. But it's viewed as a major historical landmark because of Lombardi and the history there. No one gives a ***** about ours

• Eyeroll 1

I'll offer that there will be next to no public money coming for *either* option. 

The absolute worst time to negotiate this for all parties involved.  There remains a lot of uncertainty in the economy and government is deep in the hole because of the pandemic. There is already a tsunami of tax increases coming to fill in the deep budgetary holes.  This will unfold over the next 1-2 years as the retail, office and commercial real estate gets reassessed downwards creating considerably less revenue for the government. 

Empty stores and office buildings don't generate the tax dollars full ones do.  Empty buses and trains don't generate fares and less driving generates less gas tax.  The bond market is going to be expensive too because bondholders will be looking at the state's capacity for generating revenue, and price in that new risk.  

You only prevent that by getting the economy back to its 2019 levels with people commuting to work and working in office buildings again.  That's the fiscal reality.  The economy is fragile.  Always has been.  It requires perpetual movement and perpetual consumption.   If the majority of taxpayers prefer working from home, shopping for everything on Amazon, and hanging out at home indefinitely, government isn't going to have the capacity to do these kinds of projects like they used to.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Just build the Downtown Dome and be done with this already. It really isn’t that hard. 

Without tailgating, a significant fraction of today's audience will not attend.  Downtown is a loosing idea except for the social engineering folks.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve never been to Lucas Oil. What specifically do you like about it? 

I live just outside Indy and I've been to Lucas Oil a few times.  it's beautiful, but most times I'm there they have the roof closed and it just seems like too sterile an environment for an old fart like me.  My best memories of Bills games are in the snow or rain.

13 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I'll offer that there will be next to no public money coming for *either* option. 

The absolute worst time to negotiate this for all parties involved.  There remains a lot of uncertainty in the economy and government is deep in the hole because of the pandemic. There is already a tsunami of tax increases coming to fill in the deep budgetary holes.  This will unfold over the next 1-2 years as the retail, office and commercial real estate gets reassessed downwards creating considerably less revenue for the government. 

Empty stores and office buildings don't generate the tax dollars full ones do.  Empty buses and trains don't generate fares and less driving generates less gas tax.  The bond market is going to be expensive too because bondholders will be looking at the state's capacity for generating revenue, and price in that new risk.  

You only prevent that by getting the economy back to its 2019 levels with people commuting to work and working in office buildings again.  That's the fiscal reality.  The economy is fragile.  Always has been.  It requires perpetual movement and perpetual consumption.   If the majority of taxpayers prefer working from home, shopping for everything on Amazon, and hanging out at home indefinitely, government isn't going to have the capacity to do these kinds of projects like they used to.   

worst job to have going forwrad is a commercial real estate broker.  A lot of companies realized they don't need all the space they had.

14 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Without tailgating, a significant fraction of today's audience will not attend.  Downtown is a loosing idea except for the social engineering folks.

...and you know this how?  Have you conducted a survey of STH and also fans who attend 1 or 2 games a year?