Which QB do you want the Jets to draft?

QB1 for New Jersey Jets  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you hope is the QB of the Jets?

• Zach Wilson, BYU
    • Justin Fields, tOSU
    • Sam Darnold, incumbent (plus a ton of talent)

I'm nowhere near finishing grading my QBs for this year's class, but I would guess Fields will have a higher grade than Wilson and I think building around Darnold would be a smart decision so I would vote for Wilson here.

I'll be happy if they don't take Wilson. I like Wilson and want to see him succeed. And if he goes to the Jets I'll have to root against him, and/or he might have his career ruined by them.

• Like (+1) 1

Which one will bust? Definitely Fields. They both could actually. None of these guys are very good. Moving Darnold is a huge mistake.

if I were the Steelers, I’d be on the phone trying to get Darnold. 

Edited by The Governor
  • Disagree 1

I want to see that pinched-face, hang-dog look of Darnold's on the Jets sidelines for the next 15 years!!

The fire that burns within Josh, to make himself into the best player and teammate he can possibly be, is what drives the players around him to view him as their leader, and perform to his standard.

Whether or not Wilson or Fields possess it, time will tell. But Darnold definitely hasn't shown it yet, and seems destined to become the most physically gifted back-up QB in the league, where less is expected of him. Or he could stay on as the starter of the Jets, which would be fine by me.

Edited by BornAgainBillsFan
clarity

The Jets appear to be locked in on Zach Wilson at this point. 

Yet, what did they expect from Sam Darnold when they failed to protect him, failed to get him quality receivers, failed to get him a decent run game. 

It really doesn't matter who the Jets draft because if they repeat the same mistakes with Darnold...  whomever they draft the result will be the same in two years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I hope that they don't take Wilson because I think he could be damn good. It's still the Jets so maybe they F it up but still, I think he's gonna be good. If he somehow ends up on SF, look TF out, Shanahan will make that kid a star.

Fields scares the hell out of me, no idea if he'll ever learn to be an actual QB.

Jones is not an NFL QB, don't get any of the hype with him.

Lance is an enigma, I have no idea what to think about him but he at least seems to have high QB IQ.

Edited by SECRET SQUIRREL

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m no expert evaluator but he appears like an elite QB prospect to me. I say “prospect” though, like most rookies he has areas to develop—

Strengths-

Size

Arm Strength

Athleticism 

Toughness

Playmaker 

Accuracy on the move

leadership

intelligence

work Ethic

Areas of Improvement-

Holds the ball too long at times (offense had a lot of long-developing route trees) 

Blitz recognition/pre-snap reads 

Takes too many big shots, needs to get down

tries to be too perfect, needs to learn to throw it away sometimes 

I think when you're trying to get comfortable with a guy's lack of experience (Fields only had 1.5 years as a starter), you want to see elite traits to determine his ceiling and some clear indicators of a commitment to improving. It's 100% clear to me that Justin is as dedicated as they come.

I don’t mean this as a slight towards Zach Wilson at all but “The throw” on his pro day that went viral with no defense in his face or on the field, fields threw a 65 yard dime vs Clemson with busted ribs that was better.

He’s a dominant athlete + incredible work ethic. Most guys like that, no matter their flaws in college, tend to be good pros. Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, watson, etc. All freaks who work hard.

Biggest lessons I’ve learned about QB evaluation all center around taking someone who is talented enough to win OUT of structure, but works hard enough to learn to win WITHIN structure.

Thanks for this. 

Maybe my pessimism is the based on same reasons as those who are skeptical about Mac Jones. Both of them made it look easy but they played on great teams, and neither was a starter for a long period of time (1 year for Mac).

I already had quite a bit of respect for OSU but it really did increase this season. They played Alabama with some important players missing and fought until the end. They will be a force for many years. 

Perhaps I fell into the trap of thinking that it's easy to go to one of these schools and excel. It helps, but it isn't that simple.

I look forward to seeing what Fields will do in the NFL.

13 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

They should trade down and take Trey Lance. Sit him behind Darnold for a year and get extra picks. Maybe Darnold does well? Trade him for even more picks.

That’s what the NFLR guys are speculating, but about SF.  Keep Jimmy G., have a red shirt year for Lance and work a trade for Jimmy G. in 22.  

I think there is still a chance a deal is put together to trade JG from the 49ers to the Pats and gets executed once either the Jets make their pick or the Jets consider giving a heads up to the 49ers.  It’s unlikely, but could happen.  Otherwise the Pats sit with Cam, and if JG has a good year, they trade for him next year.  $25 mil., has become cheap for QB’s and JG will be playing with a healthy team as the year he was winning the SB for 3.5 quarters.

Stranger things have happened on draft day.

Whats probable though is the Jets take Wilson and SF Lance.  Not sure on Fields.

The question was what do we want and Id want them to retain Darnold, but I bet they still take a QB.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

I don’t care about the Jets but with respect to QB evaluations, great physical traits aren’t enough.  A great work ethic isn’t enough.  We’ve seen time and time again that the best QBs in the league are the ones who mentally process the game the best.  That, to me, is the most difficult thing to predict and evaluate because so often in college these guys are throwing to wide open receivers and are playing in limited, dumbed-down systems.

And when you find a guy who can mentally process the game quickly AND has great physical ability/work ethic, you’ve got a goddamn superstar.

Meet Patrick Mahomes.  And Josh Allen.

Eff the Jets.  The Bills are owning this division until Josh is done.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And It’s not worth much. Helmet scouting is just lazy. Osu for many years simply recruited “Athletes” and turned them into QBs. Pryor,Miller, etc. Burrow was an osu qb for 3 years. They all played for different offenses in different situations. If you helmet scout you can’t be on board with trey lance, Zach Wilson or Mack Jones. 

The qb recruiting changed when Ryan day got there. He’s a former Qb and NFL qb coach. He runs a sophisticated passing offense that was not there prior to fields. There are an infinite number of variables for every single prospect. Fields has a personal QB coach, Coaching at UGA, Plus Coaching at Osu that no other qb before him had. There are lots of fingerprints on him. 

All eyes will be on Fields for some success at QB position moving forward.

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The Jets appear to be locked in on Zach Wilson at this point. 

Yet, what did they expect from Sam Darnold when they failed to protect him, failed to get him quality receivers, failed to get him a decent run game. 

It really doesn't matter who the Jets draft because if they repeat the same mistakes with Darnold...  whomever they draft the result will be the same in two years. 

At least Gase won’t be there. I think the biggest thing is changing OCs so much too. One of the biggest benefits Allen has had in terms of his growth is stability at OC. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sam Darnold.

You can't hit the target if you never take the shot.

The only way a team can land a franchise QB is by continually drafting quarterbacks, until one of them finally succeeds.

Maybe Darnold is a late bloomer.  But at this point, I haven't seen much hope that he develops into the franchise guy.  So for the Bills, the best scenario is probably the Jets sticking with him another 1-2 years and not drafting another high prospect.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

At least Gase won’t be there. I think the biggest thing is changing OCs so much too. One of the biggest benefits Allen has had in terms of his growth is stability at OC. 

Oh, I agree. 

As much as I disliked Brian Daboll at *first... I can't overstate enough what the guy has done for the buffalo passing game. It's like a fine art, a science, a chess match to find a balance to what works against different teams.

I won't deny that I wanted Daboll's head on a platter after that first season. But! The man has "helped" develop Allen into one of the very best young QB's in the league. Don't get me wrong here because I still feel the guy has warts. I also feel he has grown and developed right along with Allen. 

Those warts... not a very good, consistent Buffalo rushing attack over the course of the season. Fell on his face in the playoffs and against the Kansas City Chiefs TWICE. What happened to the vaunted Buffalo passing scheme against the Colts, Ravens, Chiefs in the playoffs.

Ten offensive points total scored against the Ravens and for whatever reason, the Baltimore DC chose to not blitz Allen like they had in previous games. 

We have seen growth in both Josh Allen and Brian Daboll from that first season and all I can do is hope both keep developing and getting better at their craft. The Bills need to work their run game with the same proficiency we see in the Buffalo passing game.