Which QB do you want the Jets to draft?

QB1 for New Jersey Jets  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you hope is the QB of the Jets?

• Zach Wilson, BYU
    • Justin Fields, tOSU
    • Sam Darnold, incumbent (plus a ton of talent)

I don't think they should, which is probably weird. I think Darnold is a classic case of a good QB w/ a bad organization and team.  Last year - the big 3rd-year breakout for most QB's - they gave him nothing to work with.  

I'd be worried if they cut him and the Pats picked him up. That's probably a good way to put it.

This draft, after Lawrence, I see a lot of the usual hype for the other guys - but tend to think that 5 years from now, Lawrence will be the only one who made any impact.  Even today, they're bumping Mac Jones up for having a decent pro day, and Fields for running fast.   Ultimately, we see it every draft, and not to sound like the jaded old fan, but so few really work out in the long run.  I don't think this draft is nearly as good as the one Allen was in for QB's.

1 minute ago, Success said:

I don't think they should, which is probably weird. I think Darnold is a classic case of a good QB w/ a bad organization and team.  Last year - the big 3rd-year breakout for most QB's - they gave him nothing to work with.  

I'd be worried if they cut him and the Pats picked him up. That's probably a good way to put it.

This draft, after Lawrence, I see a lot of the usual hype for the other guys - but tend to think that 5 years from now, Lawrence will be the only one who made any impact.  Even today, they're bumping Mac Jones up for having a decent pro day, and Fields for running fast.   Ultimately, we see it every draft, and not to sound like the jaded old fan, but so few really work out in the long run.  I don't think this draft is nearly as good as the one Allen was in for QB's.

They won't cut him.  They can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.  We got the 1st pick of the 3rd round for Tyrod when, like Darnold, he was on the last year of his contract.  

I am not sure what to think about Fields. I don't want to offend you Yolo but my instinctive reaction is that he is not all that good. I AM sure about how good OSU is. Fields? Not as much. 

I would appreciate learning your opinion of him. 

I think that when one watches every game and every play of a college kid, their opinion is worth some weight.

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am not sure what to think about Fields. I don't want to offend you Yolo but my instinctive reaction is that he is not all that good. I AM sure about how good OSU is. Fields? Not as much. 

I would appreciate learning your opinion of him. 

I think that when one watches every game and every play of a college kid, their opinion is worth some weight.

I’m no expert evaluator but he appears like an elite QB prospect to me. I say “prospect” though, like most rookies he has areas to develop—

Strengths-

Size

Arm Strength

Athleticism 

Toughness

Playmaker 

Accuracy on the move

leadership

intelligence

work Ethic

Areas of Improvement-

Holds the ball too long at times (offense had a lot of long-developing route trees) 

Blitz recognition/pre-snap reads 

Takes too many big shots, needs to get down

tries to be too perfect, needs to learn to throw it away sometimes 

I think when you're trying to get comfortable with a guy's lack of experience (Fields only had 1.5 years as a starter), you want to see elite traits to determine his ceiling and some clear indicators of a commitment to improving. It's 100% clear to me that Justin is as dedicated as they come.

I don’t mean this as a slight towards Zach Wilson at all but “The throw” on his pro day that went viral with no defense in his face or on the field, fields threw a 65 yard dime vs Clemson with busted ribs that was better.

He’s a dominant athlete + incredible work ethic. Most guys like that, no matter their flaws in college, tend to be good pros. Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, watson, etc. All freaks who work hard.

Biggest lessons I’ve learned about QB evaluation all center around taking someone who is talented enough to win OUT of structure, but works hard enough to learn to win WITHIN structure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Wilson as am biased that most BYU QBs are over rated. Toss in he's on the smaller size and most scouting reports have him as system guy and  not always at his best in the pocket and doesn't throw guys open which important in the NFL. I think he's getting over hyped and think Justin Fields a better prospect.

Buckeye quarterbacks have not had much success in the NFL for what its worth.

11 minutes ago, TAinLA said:

Mike Tomczak got a ring with the 85 Bears. He was no Steve Young though, I would have to give the nod to BYU.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TAinLA said:

And It’s not worth much. Helmet scouting is just lazy. Osu for many years simply recruited “Athletes” and turned them into QBs. Pryor,Miller, etc. Burrow was an osu qb for 3 years. They all played for different offenses in different situations. If you helmet scout you can’t be on board with trey lance, Zach Wilson or Mack Jones. 

The qb recruiting changed when Ryan day got there. He’s a former Qb and NFL qb coach. He runs a sophisticated passing offense that was not there prior to fields. There are an infinite number of variables for every single prospect. Fields has a personal QB coach, Coaching at UGA, Plus Coaching at Osu that no other qb before him had. There are lots of fingerprints on him. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

46 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Man, y'all are crazy. Wilson to the Jets has massive bust written all over it. 

You'd rather let them stock up and roll with a guy who knows the system or make the smart choice in the draft?!? No thank you...

I really don’t know much about Wilson other than what I hear from the analysts. I only watched him play once vs coastal Carolina. I do know he’s only had one good year. 

5 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Darnold scares me the least of those three, even if they add BPA in the 1st round.   But they’re almost certainly taking a QB.

The only reason for Darnold and the word "scare" to be used together is because of all the ghosts that follow him around. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m no expert evaluator but he appears like an elite QB prospect to me. I say “prospect” though, like most rookies he has areas to develop—

Strengths-

Size

Arm Strength

Athleticism 

Toughness

Playmaker 

Accuracy on the move

leadership

intelligence

work Ethic

Areas of Improvement-

Holds the ball too long at times (offense had a lot of long-developing route trees) 

Blitz recognition/pre-snap reads 

Takes too many big shots, needs to get down

tries to be too perfect, needs to learn to throw it away sometimes 

I think when you're trying to get comfortable with a guy's lack of experience (Fields only had 1.5 years as a starter), you want to see elite traits to determine his ceiling and some clear indicators of a commitment to improving. It's 100% clear to me that Justin is as dedicated as they come.

I don’t mean this as a slight towards Zach Wilson at all but “The throw” on his pro day that went viral with no defense in his face or on the field, fields threw a 65 yard dime vs Clemson with busted ribs that was better.

He’s a dominant athlete + incredible work ethic. Most guys like that, no matter their flaws in college, tend to be good pros. Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, watson, etc. All freaks who work hard.

Biggest lessons I’ve learned about QB evaluation all center around taking someone who is talented enough to win OUT of structure, but works hard enough to learn to win WITHIN structure.

I've obviously been evaluating him for a few years. I will have my report soon 

But physically he is elite and he seems like a good kid.. I have friends going to the combine, and I'm really curious to hear how he does in the interviews