17 game season approved; Washington @ Bills is Buffalo’s 17th game

3 hours ago, Success said:

Someday, someone is going to have to explain to me how a group of billionaires needs more money...

What’s this even mean? If you’d prefer to go back to six meaningless preseason games, you’re more than welcome to slip that one in the suggestion box. 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What’s this even mean? If you’d prefer to go back to six meaningless preseason games, you’re more than welcome to slip that one in the suggestion box. 

the reason they dont play those meaningless games anymore is caus no one watched them. people will watch that 17th game. 

11 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Would’ve been nice if it was against the Bears. The 16-0 Bills could’ve let Josh rest and watched Mitch put up 30 against his former team

Solly, I’m confused unless this is a joke. Trubisky I’m sure you know played for the Bears, not Washington.  They weren’t even in the same division.

5 hours ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

the reason they dont play those meaningless games anymore is caus no one watched them. people will watch that 17th game. 

They were $ for the owners as the season ticket holders had to pay even though half at best showed up.  The real $ is the increased national tv revenue.

Overall I’m happy and keeping three pre season will most likely get knocked to 1 when the owners push the 18th game in 5-6 years.  The players might be able to get a second bye out of it.  It will be tricky as they’ll have to the SB 1 wk after the championship games, and start on Labor Day.  I know the owners don’t want it, but the tv revenue will be insane hence the cap will probably be $350 mil. By that time.  Let’s hope they increase the active roster to 55 and maintain the 16 PS guys.  More players get to play in an NFL jersey, more $ for them, and yes more injuries.

Im not saying that’s a perfect world.  My point is I’m prepared as that probably will happen.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Agree 1

If they were going to change the schedule they should have gone with 18 games and just 2 preseason games. They did fine last year with no preseason games. Just have 2. It's enough time to shake off the rust, get a look at the rookies in game action, and get used to playing football again. The AFC and NFC flip flopping who gets 9 home games vs 8 is just dumb. 

8 hours ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

Correct. Not sure why anyone would be opposed to a 17th game, except maybe the players themselves but they too seem fine with it. I however didn’t see this as something that needed to be done. I would’ve simply added another bye week, and spread the season out for television. The money and ratings would’ve been the same, with less wear and tear on the players.

18 hours ago, Success said:

Someday, someone is going to have to explain to me how a group of billionaires needs more money...

their job is to increase revenue. They increase revenue the employees and others get more money. Cap goes up, salaries increase as well

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Correct. Not sure why anyone would be opposed to a 17th game, except maybe the players themselves but they too seem fine with it. I however didn’t see this as something that needed to be done. I would’ve simply added another bye week, and spread the season out for television. The money and ratings would’ve been the same, with less wear and tear on the players.

Because there’s no need to fix what isn’t broken.

Football is the greatest game in the world, and I don’t see any reason to change the length of the season. Fans were not and are not clamoring for this change — it’s all coming from the owners. “They’ll make more money” and “because people will watch the extra game!” aren’t good enough reasons to me. “More” does not necessarily equal “better”. 

During the 43 years that the NFL has had a 16 game regular season, it has grown into a massive money-making juggernaut. It’s ALREADY the most popular and lucrative sports league in the world. Moving to 17 and, before long, to 18 games risks further injury, watered down rosters by season’s end, and jeopardizing the health of the players over the course of their careers.

I’m all for taking away a preseason game or two, but elongating the regular season is not something I support, and nothing will change my mind on that.

Goodell and the owners ought to read the story of Icarus.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

their job is to increase revenue. They increase revenue the employees and others get more money. Cap goes up, salaries increase as well

Had they had a 17-game season since 2000, there is very little chance that their marquee player is still active and playing at age 43.

And we'll likely see that across the board.  The average NFL career probably just got shorter.

20 hours ago, RiotAct said:

It’s pretty much a foregone conclusion.

We got beaten by them in 2015... I remember listening to the 4th quarter in the car while in the Costco gas line.

I just looked that up.  Good call on that.  I don't really remember much about the game.  I was at the Bills-Redskins game in Washington in 2007 when we came back late on a great pass from Trent Edwards to Josh Reed, and Lindell hit the winning FG on the greyest day imaginable.  Joe Gibbs was back coaching them and got a personal foul for calling two timeouts in a row for trying to ice Lindell.  Moved the kick much closer.  The Skins' fans were pissed after that game. 

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Ooh so edgy.

What can I say.  Old traditions and names die hard.

22 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did it? WFT has a great defense.  Fitz and Samuel upgrade their offense. They played Tampa tough. Probably the best outcome of the remaining first place teams to play.

Every team in that division should be improved though. 

Relative to the other 1st place teams in AFC , we got an easier schedule for sure. 

Rather play Wash than GB, TB or Sea .

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Every team in that division should be improved though. 

Relative to the other 1st place teams in AFC , we got an easier schedule for sure. 

Rather play Wash than GB, TB or Sea .

Wouldn't it have been the Saints? 

In which case they might be the worst of the 4 NFC division winners considering the players they lost, mainly Brees.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Did it? WFT has a great defense.  Fitz and Samuel upgrade their offense. They played Tampa tough. Probably the best outcome of the remaining first place teams to play.

tell me your not serious? Tampa was just learning their way... They would not struggle this year... and oh yea.. that game Tampa had players out due to covid

IF you think they give tampa a run for there money? HA HA