Bills sign OT Bobby Hart

nato7412

1 minute ago, turftoe said:

This is the Bills' first waste of money pickup in free agency. I hope we didn't give this guy any guaranteed money.

I think we can feel pretty confident at this point in the offseason that Hart's not getting big money OR a guaranteed roster spot.

It won't surprise me if, when all is said and done, it's revealed that Hart signed for veteran minimum or close to it.

• Agree 1

I don't agree with all the knee-jerk conclusions that a guy like this is nothing more than camp fodder.  I don't know anything about him at all, but I know this:

There are about 150 offensive tackles in the NFL - 100 on the active rosters and another 50 on the practice squad.   There is very little difference in the size or raw athletic talent of the last 100.   That is, the top 50 offensive tackles deserve to be starters, the next 100 are all about the same, physically.  The best coaches find a way to take some of the guys out of the bottom 100 and get them to play well.  Sometimes they get them to play well by connecting with them somehow, getting them to focus better on their game, getting them more motivated.  Sometimes they get them to play better by putting them on a team and in a system that allows them to succeed where they couldn't succeed in other systems.  

The point is that every year there are guys who change teams and who succeed in the new environment.  So, I never complain about this kind of signing.  Will the guy succeed?  Probably not, but he might.  I'm happy to wait and see. 

• Like (+1) 7

5 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Beane couldn’t match Nsekhe’s one year $1.75m contract with cowboys?  I hope Hart is making less.  

He probably is. 

Probably a "Veteran Salary Benefit" contract - the deal is the Bills pay him vet minimum for a 6 year guy ($0.990M) plus up to $137k in signing, workout, or roster bonuses, and he only counts $0.85M against the cap.

The "tell" for one of those is when you look at Overthecap or Spotrac and the cap hit is less than the contract.  Jordan Devey was signed on one of those.  He's signed for $10k workout bonus and $0.990M, but he counts $0.860M against the cap (bonus plus $0.850M)

Davis Webb would be another example - currently signed for $0.990M and shown as $0.85M against the cap

Edit: looking over the roster, Matt Breida and Jacob Hollister would appear to be other examples.

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Also - not for nothing - I remember people saying that Daryl Williams sucked and was a one year wonder we only signed because he was a Panther. You never know how a change of scenery will work out. Trust the process.

Isn’t this amazing? We have the brightest, most knowledgeable and qualified Fanbase of any sport anywhere, yet sometimes they’re incorrect. Must be the player is a Jekyll/Hyde type..

🤦‍♂️

• Thank you (+1) 1

Whats his supposed strength?  We allegedly have a really good o line coach so maybe they can do something with him... or William and Dawkins stay healthy.

I must admit, I am really curious about a healthy Trey Adam's if that is a thing.  If he can stay healthy and get in some sort of shape he has the tools at right tackle

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Also - not for nothing - I remember people saying that Daryl Williams sucked and was a one year wonder we only signed because he was a Panther. You never know how a change of scenery will work out. Trust the process.

Anyone who said that was crazy. The only question about Williams was "is he healthy?" Anyone knocking his performance levels were way off. Hart is not Williams. He is cheap vet insurance he has next to no chance of winning a starting job.

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Incredible.

Agreed - not sure what the guard was doing on that play as his guys blows right in.

The tackle looked to have the OLB - which is right where he is looking.

Couldn’t have been miscommunication where the tackle is blocking out with his eyes on the OLB and the guard instead blocks down on the DT.  I have never seen anything so egregious before.

Can you imagine- two guys miscommunicating and leaving an opening that someone could rush through.  Must make him the worst player in history- you would think someplace in the history of the NFL this might have happened before.

My goodness - a lot of moaning for a depth signing player when we still need about 24 more of these guys to fill out the roster.  I would totally be on board with the complaints, if the Bills had let Williams walk (or cut him - ala KC) and this was the replacement signing, but as they already have 2 starters and 2 back-ups on the roster - to sign a vet minimum guy with experience seems like a good thing.

Edited by Rochesterfan

18 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Hopefully he is moved to guard and provides competition.   He got Burrow almost killed. 

Coaching got Burrow killed.

Go watch Burrow's tape from last year and count how many times the guard and tackle had no idea how to read to a stunt.  Go back and see how many times Hart was left on an island versus guys like Miles Garrett, Bosa, and Barrett.  Hart isn't the best, but I think he can be much better with better coaching.

12 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

oh no! Bates is going to be the backup and, in my dreams, eventual starting center :)

You know something, after doing a little bit of research I think you are right about being more built for center. I was basing my earlier opinion on hearing reports that the Bills were prepared to let Bates fight for the starting tackle spot if Williams had not been re-signed. I can’t recall who reported that early on in the offseason, but I do remember thinking it was someone with sources inside One Bills Drive. 

• Like (+1) 1