Mock drafts indicating that the top end of draft will be QB & WR focused - does this ignore BPA philosophy?

Every  body is going to overreach for QBs like they always do.  Look at Josh's draft.  All but him either have had uneven progress or have/are bombing out.   Same will happen this year.  I project only one of the top 4 will become really good, and the best may wind up being the kid from Alabama who's not in the top 4.

No teams actually follow BPA. Some follow it within reason. For instance, if a QB is the top player on your board in round 1 and you are the Bills, you would be foolish to take that player. So yes, you violate the BPA philosophy and look at other players.

And it's the same for other positions too, but less so.

So the true philosophy is BPA within reason, considering positional value, scheme fit, etc.

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Every  body is going to overreach for QBs like they always do.  Look at Josh's draft.  All but him either have had uneven progress or have/are bombing out.   Same will happen this year.  I project only one of the top 4 will become really good, and the best may wind up being the kid from Alabama who's not in the top 4.

I mean, three QB's from Allen's draft all went to the playoffs and won games. One of them was MVP one year. I'd say it is turning out to be quite a strong draft.

But yes, there are QB's that are over drafted all the time. But it makes sense. You can't really compete without a good QB.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I mean, three QB's from Allen's draft all went to the playoffs and won games. One of them was MVP one year. I'd say it is turning out to be quite a strong draft.

But yes, there are QB's that are over drafted all the time. But it makes sense. You can't really compete without a good QB.

I would do what Beane did.  That wasn’t too much of a coat.  There is no way I’d trade say three first round picks to move to draft a guy.  I only do something like that for a guy who’s shown he can do it in the league.

As much as I would like to get Travis Etienne, I think we will draft heavy on the Defense. Our weakest spot on the team IMO is the D-Line especially ends (and age has a lot to do with it). We have dinosaurs playing both ends (Hughs, and Addison) we need an influx of youth at that position, so I see maybe two or three DE's drafted. It would not surprise me if Etienne is sitting there at 30 and we draft him and later in the draft trade Moss or Singletary away. Just my opinion. If we can stay young and get better that is good too.

10 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

In the pass happy NFL no doubt that QB’s and receivers are critical to a teams success. However, to me it seems teams are reaching hard for both positions at the expense of the best player available philosophy. It may be that teams in their weighting believe that a given QB or WR is the BPA but history has suggested that both positions are risky picks at the top of the draft.

The good news for the Bills is that if the predictions play out there may be some surprise players available at 30. Probably not a premier DE that we would love to see but maybe CB, interior o-line or 2’nd tier (i.e not premier level) DE.

Your thoughts?

Without even reading, I'm sure this has already been said here. But still ...

Pure BPA is used extremely rarely. It is mitigated, for just about every team and every year. By two or three factors.

First and most important it's mitigated by team needs. The Bills simply are not going to draft a quarterback in the first round this year, no matter if they think that one is there and he's sticking out as the best player. Not going to happen. It's BPA at a position of need.

Second is position value. Guards and RBs go early in the first only for players who appear to be once-a-decade guys. Generally if you need a guard but you're drafting at #12 and you think that a guard is the 12th-best player, the best player left, you're still going to go LT if you have a need there and an LT is close to BPA. 

There are more: scheme fit, culture fit, lack of self-destructive habits, etc. 

And QB is so far beyond any other position in position value that it makes sense to take a shot. You're still screwed if you pick badly. But teams without franchise QBs don't have a realistic chance of doing anything significant.

Pretty much every good team follows a BPA strategy, but it is absolutely mitigated.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, wagne591 said:

As much as I would like to get Travis Etienne, I think we will draft heavy on the Defense. Our weakest spot on the team IMO is the D-Line especially ends (and age has a lot to do with it). We have dinosaurs playing both ends (Hughs, and Addison) we need an influx of youth at that position, so I see maybe two or three DE's drafted. It would not surprise me if Etienne is sitting there at 30 and we draft him and later in the draft trade Moss or Singletary away. Just my opinion. If we can stay young and get better that is good too.

Yeah if Etienne is the pick Singletary is gone. I'm not necessarily in the RB first camp but if it does go down Devin probably isn't a Bill by the end of the draft.

10 hours ago, wagne591 said:

Didn't we draft a DE last year?

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

QBs don’t factor into BPA in the 1st round if a team is in the market for one 

Agree. QB is generally dealt with separately from BPA. If you haven't got one you try and get one, even if they are not BPA. If you have got one you can afford to overlook one sitting there when you draft. 

20 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

In the pass happy NFL no doubt that QB’s and receivers are critical to a teams success. However, to me it seems teams are reaching hard for both positions at the expense of the best player available philosophy. It may be that teams in their weighting believe that a given QB or WR is the BPA but history has suggested that both positions are risky picks at the top of the draft.

The good news for the Bills is that if the predictions play out there may be some surprise players available at 30. Probably not a premier DE that we would love to see but maybe CB, interior o-line or 2’nd tier (i.e not premier level) DE.

Your thoughts?

My personal opinion is that teams always consider need (and quality at that position available in the later rounds) in their draft choices.

I think it's inarguable that teams put QBs and sometimes other players (DE, WR, potential LTs) in a different category

For example, if it seems pretty clear that the BPA is a LT....but that team has a high-quality LT under a long term contract - that team is NOT gonna draft that guy in the first couple rounds.  Ditto QB. 

Later rounds, as a guy they could develop, the math changes.

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Without even reading, I'm sure this has already been said here. But still ...

Pure BPA is used extremely rarely. It is mitigated, for just about every team and every year. By two or three factors.

First and most important it's mitigated by team needs. The Bills simply are not going to draft a quarterback in the first round this year, no matter if they think that one is there and he's sticking out as the best player. Not going to happen. It's BPA at a position of need.

Second is position value. Guards and RBs go early in the first only for players who appear to be once-a-decade guys. Generally if you need a guard but you're drafting at #12 and you think that a guard is the 12th-best player, the best player left, you're still going to go LT if you have a need there and an LT is close to BPA. 

There are more: scheme fit, culture fit, lack of self-destructive habits, etc. 

And QB is so far beyond any other position in position value that it makes sense to take a shot. You're still screwed if you pick badly. But teams without franchise QBs don't have a realistic chance of doing anything significant.

Pretty much every good team follows a BPA strategy, but it is absolutely mitigated.

On the guard and running back point my understanding from listening to former scouts is that the positional value is factored into the grade. So the example as I have heard it was specific to guard but the former scout who was giving the seminar basically said for him to give a guard a first round grade they have to have elite potential. Whereas some of the more premium positions he might give a first round grade to say, an edge rusher, who he thinks is a potential 10 year starter but without an elite ceiling. So by the time they actually look at the board to figure 'BPA' on draft night they can stick to their board. 

And on scheme fit you are 100% right. That is back to my point earlier in the week.... there are normally 15-25 true first round grades... they are guys that for the most part every team thinks could play in any scheme - they might still be better in scheme A than scheme B but they are guys you feel like you could pretty much plug in to any scheme. The reason that it is much more jumbled after that is you get into scheme specific fits and I will revert to my Asante Samuel example again.... if I was Tampa Bay's GM with Todd Bowles and that scheme on defense I might think Asante Samuel was in play for me at #32. If I am Brandon Beane with Sean McDermott, Leslie Frazier and this defense I wouldn't take Samuel even if he was on the board at #61. If he was there at #93 it might then get to the point where I say "his talent is such that this is such great value and I'll try and develop him into a guy that can play in my scheme." 

Culture, off field and injury are the three great unknowns to amateur graders like myself. And that is why teams really value those 15 minute interview slots they normally get at the Senior Bowl and the Combine as well as all the recon their area scouts have done during the season. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

On the guard and running back point my understanding from listening to former scouts is that the positional value is factored into the grade. So the example as I have heard it was specific to guard but the former scout who was giving the seminar basically said for him to give a guard a first round grade they have to have elite potential. Whereas some of the more premium positions he might give a first round grade to say, an edge rusher, who he thinks is a potential 10 year starter but without an elite ceiling. So by the time they actually look at the board to figure 'BPA' on draft night they can stick to their board. 

And on scheme fit you are 100% right. That is back to my point earlier in the week.... there are normally 15-25 true first round grades... they are guys that for the most part every team thinks could play in any scheme - they might still be better in scheme A than scheme B but they are guys you feel like you could pretty much plug in to any scheme. The reason that it is much more jumbled after that is you get into scheme specific fits and I will revert to my Asante Samuel example again.... if I was Tampa Bay's GM with Todd Bowles and that scheme on defense I might think Asante Samuel was in play for me at #32. If I am Brandon Beane with Sean McDermott, Leslie Frazier and this defense I wouldn't take Samuel even if he was on the board at #61. If he was there at #93 it might then get to the point where I say "his talent is such that this is such great value and I'll try and develop him into a guy that can play in my scheme." 

Culture, off field and injury are the three great unknowns to amateur graders like myself. And that is why teams really value those 15 minute interview slots they normally get at the Senior Bowl and the Combine as well as all the recon their area scouts have done during the season. 

Bill do you feel WR Terrence Marshall of LSU is worthy of the #30 pick? I think he'd have a full year to get a little bigger and stronger but he's a guy who gives us some things our other receivers don't.

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Bill do you feel WR Terrence Marshall of LSU is worthy of the #30 pick? I think he'd have a full year to get a little bigger and stronger but he's a guy who gives us some things our other receivers don't.

I have a mid / high 2nd round grade on him but remembering what I said elsewhere about only having 18 true firsts that is enough for Terrace to be #34 on my big board. So he is close enough. He is a bit boom and bust and I agree with you if we draft him we might need a little patience bit his ceiling is very high. Interestingly it is the same grade as I had on Tee Higgins last year and DK Metcalf the year before. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have a mid / high 2nd round grade on him but remembering what I said elsewhere about only having 18 true firsts that is enough for Terrace to be #34 on my big board. So he is close enough. He is a bit boom and bust and I agree with you if we draft him we might need a little patience bit his ceiling is very high. Interestingly it is the same grade as I had on Tee Higgins last year and DK Metcalf the year before. 

Right on and thanks for the response. I think people at first might not care if he was pick but by next season they would be like oh snap, glad we snagged that guy!👍

14 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Yeah if Etienne is the pick Singletary is gone. I'm not necessarily in the RB first camp but if it does go down Devin probably isn't a Bill by the end of the draft.

Oh cool! I dont think we ever got to draft a Mr Irrelevant before 😆

• Haha (+1) 1

Fans really seem to misunderstand the concept of "Best Player Available."

The idea is NOT that you completely ignore positional importance, or completely disregard the needs of the roster.

The idea is that you don't REACH for a need position, when there are significantly better players available.

Pound for pound, I would say Aaron Donald is probably the best football player in the NFL.  

But once you factor in positional importance, he may struggle to crack the Top 10.