The Food That Built America

Royale with Cheese

On 3/30/2021 at 8:22 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

If you guys haven't seen it, it's on the History Channel and it's a docuseries about how major food companies started up and there impact on the US.

It's really good and the stories are pretty amazing.

CW Post was a patient at a mental asylum that was ran by Dr. Kellogg.  When Post was released, he stole the Kellogg's recipe for cereal and then started Post!

Pemberton was a morphine addict who was experimenting with new ways to kill pain....then came up with Coke in his basement.

If you guys like historical stuff like this, I highly recommend it.

I DVR’d this series, but haven’t started watching yet. Will have to tune in! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You think a second woman would marry me?

of course.  i think you'd be considered quite a catch.  the trick is you have to stop dating undesirables.  i don't say that as a criticism...i dated undesirables until i was 32.

On 3/30/2021 at 8:22 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

If you guys haven't seen it, it's on the History Channel and it's a docuseries about how major food companies started up and there impact on the US.

It's really good and the stories are pretty amazing.

CW Post was a patient at a mental asylum that was ran by Dr. Kellogg.  When Post was released, he stole the Kellogg's recipe for cereal and then started Post!

Pemberton was a morphine addict who was experimenting with new ways to kill pain....then came up with Coke in his basement.

If you guys like historical stuff like this, I highly recommend it.

Love this show. The 1st season was amazing and wish i could find it online so my wife can watch it.

Season 2 is great

Season 1 Coca-Cola episode was amazing.

Guy was ruthless

On 3/30/2021 at 11:44 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

The ruthless nature of the business men back then was incredible.  Literally just steal from you and market the product.

Candler gave Pemberton's wife and child $3,000 for the exclusive rights to the Coke recipe.  They were poor and $3,000 was nothing they have seen before....they just weren't educated enough to understand.  The guy who invented the syrup made nothing from it....crazy!

A buddy is a tax attorney from Chattanooga and the details are fuzzy to me, but apparently they practically GAVE the bottling rights away just to move product. Turns out the bottling was worth BILLION$, much of it going to folks in Chattanooga, and they later went about trying to get it back. Some SERIOUS money in Chattanooga as a result. 

NOBODY really knew what they were doing, it seems! 

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You think a second woman would marry me?

No, I think he’s hitting on you!

How did you miss it this time? 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 3/30/2021 at 11:57 AM, Jauronimo said:

I think you leave out one of the more interesting parts of the story.

Corn flakes, and by extension, the whole breakfast cereal industry we know today was all a vain attempt to get you furry palmed perverts stop ***** so effing much.  

Corn flakes go limp too fast.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.