Bills still looking to upgrade the interior of the Dline

19 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Unfortunately, this is a weak draft at the top for Cornerback (actually almost every defensive position).

The top three guys are Caleb Farley, Patrick Surtain II and Jaycee Horn.  I would expect them to be long-gone by the time we pick - although there are some recent rumblings about Farley dropping due to injury concerns (not sure I believe them).

I've done numerous mock drafts, and the value picks that usually fall to the Bills are almost always at positions we don't really need like Wide Receiver and Linebacker.  The most likely CB options available at #30 include Asante Samuel Jr., Elijah Molden, Greg Newsome II and Tyson Campbell.  Those guys are generally considered 2nd Round talents.

I agree with everything except the part about LB. We are in desperate need to find a nickle LB and I expect to be taking one in the first few rounds and potentially the 1st. 

The kid out of Notre Dame would be perfect. 

• Agree 2

Of course we are still looking at interior DL, we have Star at $10mil on the wrong side of 30 and a very mediocre Harry who is not starting quality with bum knees and who is a free agent soon. I highly doubt last year’s feel good story from the practice squad is the ‘22 starter plan at interior line. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I agree with everything except the part about LB. We are in desperate need to find a nickle LB and I expect to be taking one in the first few rounds and potentially the 1st. 

The kid out of Notre Dame would be perfect. 

Who are you taking off the field for this "desperately needed" Nickel LB? Our slot corner who's played extremely well? The off-ball we just gave a ton of money to? The QB of our defense? One of our top-10 safeties?

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

This couldn’t have gone into the Jarran Reed thread?  Reed is the only DT mentioned and this is a topic of discussion within that thread

Umm ... not sure there. Reed is gone. This is about non-Reed options. More importantly, it appears to show

a. that Beane is still looking to upgrade at that spot in FA (many felt we were done with FA - see some of the follow up posts)

b. maybe the draft is weak in interior DL (have read that in many places) that Beane feels he cant upgrade using the Draft

a. and b. appear to be much different than questions than Jarran Reed signing with Chiefs, no?

maybe I messed up. If so, my apologies man!

3 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Just makes me wonder if Barmore is in play at 30, assuming he makes it to 30.

Or,

a. Barmore may not be available at 30 and who is left is not good enough at 30

b. Even Barmore is not good enough at 30

16 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

He probably won't go top 20, I'm not sure if he's good enough for what they want honestly.  I know he played well last year in college and size wise is excellent. 

But I won't pretend I know if he's the right pick or not. I do think a lineman or a CB should be the pick.

I still think the plan is to take a 1-Tech in the draft between Rounds 2-6. I fully expect one of the names below (not a ranking, just a listing) to be in a Bills uni next season.

1. Marvin Wilson - Florida St.

2. Tedarrell Slaton - Florida

3. Tyler Shelvin - LSU

4. Bobby Brown III - Texas A&M

5. Neil Farrell Jr. - LSU

6. Naquan Jones - Michigan St. 

7. Khyiris Tonga - BYU

Edit:

This is just my preference, but I hope we take Bobby Brown III. This is a nice little breakdown of what he brings to the table, even though the commentary is meh.

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Umm ... not sure there. Reed is gone. This is about non-Reed options. More importantly, it appears to show

a. that Beane is still looking to upgrade at that spot in FA (many felt we were done with FA - see some of the follow up posts)

b. maybe the draft is weak in interior DL (have read that in many places) that Beane feels he cant upgrade using the Draft

a. and b. appear to be much different than questions than Jarran Reed signing with Chiefs, no?

maybe I messed up. If so, my apologies man!

Or,

in your OP, the only sentence you typed:  

“It appears Beane is far from done with Free Agency, especially on the DLine.”

the rest of your post consists of links.  I just don’t see how that incites discussion regarding your A and B above.  There is no mention of “non-Reed options” in your op or the links provided. 

He’s the GM of a contending team that reached out to the most recently released good player.  I’m not saying he’s done.....I believe he’ll add more in free agency.  I just don’t see how your OP is anything more than you stating that he reached out to Reed

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

This couldn’t have gone into the Jarran Reed thread?  Reed is the only DT mentioned and this is a topic of discussion within that thread

Some people can't resist.  Don't you know that every thought that pops into their head has to become a new thread. 

Edited by BTB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Who are you taking off the field for this "desperately needed" Nickel LB? Our slot corner who's played extremely well? The off-ball we just gave a ton of money to? The QB of our defense? One of our top-10 safeties?

Taron Johnson easily. The 2 pick sixes don't change the fact that he's a meh starter that was a liability for much of the season.

6 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Taron Johnson easily. The 2 pick sixes don't change the fact that he's a meh starter that was a liability for much of the season.

You could be completely right with the comment, but I do find it funny how everyone is quick to declare players subpar when most don't watch the all-22 or have a clue what the concept of the plays are and still feel they have enough evidence to judge a player honestly. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Unfortunately, this is a weak draft at the top for Cornerback (actually almost every defensive position).

The top three guys are Caleb Farley, Patrick Surtain II and Jaycee Horn.  I would expect them to be long-gone by the time we pick - although there are some recent rumblings about Farley dropping due to injury concerns (not sure I believe them).

I've done numerous mock drafts, and the value picks that usually fall to the Bills are almost always at positions we don't really need like Wide Receiver and Linebacker.  The most likely CB options available at #30 include Asante Samuel Jr., Elijah Molden, Greg Newsome II and Tyson Campbell.  Those guys are generally considered 2nd Round talents.

The 30th pick is almost the 2nd round.  Often there aren’t 32 “first round talents” in a draft.

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The 30th pick is almost the 2nd round.  Often there aren’t 32 “first round talents” in a draft.

25 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I'm not saying Taron Johnson is a hall of famer, but I think he's far from our biggest weakness that needs addressing. 

You'd rather upgrade Johnson than:

• CB2 -- Levi Wallace/Dane Jackson
  • TE1 -- Dawson Knox
  • Edge -- Mario Addison/Jerry Hughes (33/32 years old, respectively) 
  • 1T -- Star Lotuleilei (will be 32 this season)
  • WR -- Emanuel Sanders/Cole Beasley (34/32 this season
  • RB -- yuck

Again, JOK would be great, add a fun dynamic to the defense and could certainly help cure some of what ails us. I'm just not convinced that a guy who's not going to get 3-down snaps at a splurge position is our biggest need...

Edited by glazeduck
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

If Travis Etienne or Najee Harris are there when we draft at 30 we need to give serious consideration to either of them.  Sure we can use a little more juice on defense.  But getting a big time stud at RB will help the offense big time.  Drafting another AJ Epenesa doesn't get me all that excited.  Heck go RB 1st round and CB and DE in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Once you are in the bottom third of the 1st round, there probably is not a lot of difference between guys drafted there and all the way down to the 3rd or 4th round.  If you are a big time stud pass rusher or stud lock down corner, you are going top 15 or 20.  After that its all how they develop once they get to the NFL.   

13 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I'm not saying Taron Johnson is a hall of famer, but I think he's far from our biggest weakness that needs addressing. 

You'd rather upgrade Johnson than:

• CB2 -- Levi Wallace/Dane Jackson
  • TE1 -- Dawson Knox
  • Edge -- Mario Addison/Jerry Hughes (33/32 years old, respectively) 
  • 1T -- Star Lotuleilei (will be 32 this season)
  • WR -- Emanuel Sanders/Cole Beasley (34/32 this season

Again, JOK would be great, add a fun dynamic to the defense and could certainly help cure some of what ails us. I'm just not convinced that a guy who's not going to get 3-down snaps at a splurge position is our biggest need...

I agree it's definitely not our biggest need. I'm hoping for a CB or a DE, but if JOK does slide to 30 he'll likely be the BPA by a good margin. I'm just saying if we did take him he would probably be replacing Johnson based on the role he played at Notre Dame and Johnson being the weakest of the those defenderss you originally mentioned.

Edited by gobills404

Just now, gobills404 said:

I agree it's definitely not our biggest need. I'd hoping for a CB or a DE, but if JOK does slide to 30 he'll likely be the BPA by a good margin. I'm just saying if we did take him he would probably be replacing Johnson based on the role he played at Notre Dame and Johnson being the weakest of the those defenderss you originally mentioned.

Totally fair. We won't know until the draft plays out, obviously. JOK's a unique piece, I don't deny that.

I think my biggest hesitancy is he's really not a run-downs player right now and we're in a championship window... Do we really want to spend our 1st round pick on a player that will see, maybe half of all defensive snaps?

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I agree we wont go WR. LB is not a pressing need - but we will likely pick up one in the first 3 rounds.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

in your OP, the only sentence you typed:  

“It appears Beane is far from done with Free Agency, especially on the DLine.”

the rest of your post consists of links.  I just don’t see how that incites discussion regarding your A and B above.  There is no mention of “non-Reed options” in your op or the links provided. 

He’s the GM of a contending team that reached out to the most recently released good player.  I’m not saying he’s done.....I believe he’ll add more in free agency.  I just don’t see how your OP is anything more than you stating that he reached out to Reed

I think you misunderstood my post

Everything does not have in the OP for a thread to be valuable, no? If the OP's post is all informative, why have a thread? The point is that there is no scope for discussing a. and b. in the "Jarran Reed to Chiefs" thread.

13 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Totally fair. We won't know until the draft plays out, obviously. JOK's a unique piece, I don't deny that.

I think my biggest hesitancy is he's really not a run-downs player right now and we're in a championship window... Do we really want to spend our 1st round pick on a player that will see, maybe half of all defensive snaps?

Taron played 80% of the total snaps (329 against the run) last year at 190lb. I don't know why Koramoah wouldn't play the same if not more at 215lb.

13 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Taron played 80% of the total snaps (329 against the run) last year at 190lb. I don't know why Koramoah wouldn't play the same if not more at 215lb.

1. Because you're not going just not play Johnson 

2. Because rookies don't just walk into roles like that (take a look at Isaiah Simmons' snap count data -- better athlete/prospect/fit for that hybrid role, only played 34%)

3. Because he's still going to be a liability against the run.

I'd be shocked if he got anything north of 40-45%...

Edited by glazeduck