Bills still looking to upgrade the interior of the Dline

According to the Athletic, the Bills were in on the Jarran Reed sweepstakes before he signed with the Chiefs. (paywall)

https://theathletic.com/2483589/2021/03/29/chiefs-strike-free-agency-hit-with-jarran-reed-as-their-coveted-third-pass-rusher/?source=emp_shared_article

It appears Beane is far from done with Free Agency, especially on the DLine. 

non paywall site

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/30/buffalo-bills-had-interest-kansas-city-chiefs-jarran-reed/

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well they may be looking to sign another half dozen "Brandon Powell" types.  But may lose out on the bidding war for the Sean Davis's of the world!

Yup. I’m sure the work is ongoing, but the predraft notable acquisitions will be either 0 or 1.  

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

According to the Athletic, the Bills were in on the Jarran Reed sweepstakes before he signed with the Chiefs. (paywall)

https://theathletic.com/2483589/2021/03/29/chiefs-strike-free-agency-hit-with-jarran-reed-as-their-coveted-third-pass-rusher/?source=emp_shared_article

It appears Beane is far from done with Free Agency, especially on the DLine. 

non paywall site

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/30/buffalo-bills-had-interest-kansas-city-chiefs-jarran-reed/

Beane said in the presser the other week they make phonecalls about lots and lots of players. I don't doubt they did so on Reed - a proven vet coming of a down year and potentially available below market value sitting out there a week into FA... they are exactly the sort of players you do test the water on. Doesn't mean that they actively looking so much as they saw an opportunity and just put the feelers out as to what it might take. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Good point. It’s the only position we’ve heard zero about. Who is the best one at 30?

Unfortunately, this is a weak draft at the top for Cornerback (actually almost every defensive position).

The top three guys are Caleb Farley, Patrick Surtain II and Jaycee Horn.  I would expect them to be long-gone by the time we pick - although there are some recent rumblings about Farley dropping due to injury concerns (not sure I believe them).

I've done numerous mock drafts, and the value picks that usually fall to the Bills are almost always at positions we don't really need like Wide Receiver and Linebacker.  The most likely CB options available at #30 include Asante Samuel Jr., Elijah Molden, Greg Newsome II and Tyson Campbell.  Those guys are generally considered 2nd Round talents.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane said in the presser the other week they make phonecalls about lots and lots of players. I don't doubt they did so on Reed - a proven vet coming of a down year and potentially available below market value sitting out there a week into FA... they are exactly the sort of players you do test the water on. Doesn't mean that they actively looking so much as they saw an opportunity and just put the feelers out as to what it might take. 

This, ^^^

Beane is in touch with every free agent players agent that he feels can be an useful part of the team, it’s his job, it’s among the tasks he does up there at OBD...,  It would be what one could call a fact finding mission...

Edited by Don Otreply

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Unfortunately, this is a weak draft at the top for Cornerback (actually almost every defensive position).

The top three guys are Caleb Farley, Patrick Surtain II and Jaycee Horn.  I would expect them to be long-gone by the time we pick - although there are some recent rumblings about Farley dropping due to injury concerns (not sure I believe them).

I've done numerous mock drafts, and the value picks that usually fall to the Bills are almost always at positions we don't really need like Wide Receiver and Linebacker.  The most likely CB options available at #30 include Asante Samuel Jr., Elijah Molden, Greg Newsome II and Tyson Campbell.  Those guys are generally considered 2nd Round talents.

Eric Stokes.  Molden shouldn’t be an option imo.  He’s a slot guy with no upside on the outside 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1