Virtual off season = trade pick 30?

Do we trade 30 for a vet should virtual off seasons become mandated?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do we trade 30 for a vet should virtual off seasons become mandated?

• Yes
    • No

Beane last off season as the pandemic hit: "Yes, the draft is stacked with receivers," Beane admitted. "But I think it became evident with what's going on around us now, that we don't know what kind of offseason we'll have. I just felt like it was going to be really hard, unless I traded up really high to find a guy that I know could walk in, day one, August 1st and be ready to roll."

"We were looking at the free agent market for a receiver, because, again, those guys would be veterans that we knew would be able to come in and understand our verbiage quicker than a rookie. So it definitely played into it, but it still had to be the right person, the right fit," said Beane.

With that said, there is a chance that this off season also remains virtual, and if so - do we trade out again?

Here is some context to first round trades for veterans: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/history-of-nfl-teams-trading-first-round-draft-picks-for-veterans-winners-losers-from-last-five-years/

For me personally, I like the idea of trading out. Not sure what is left at 30 in regards to a potential starter and I want to take advantage of the current window we have while the rest of the AFC East could be in rebuild mode.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the idea as well, I dont think an edge player taken at 30 is going to be there with an organic pass-rushing skill that is a difference maker, so next  I look at corner and is the guy at 30 the same guy we can take at 40-45 or not ?  Could pick-up another 3 or 4th rounder (which we dont have) and given Bean's mid-round draft skills I like the idea of giving him extra assets for picks to not only make (quantity) but to move up down (quality).   

• Like (+1) 2

If you can trade for what's an expected mid-first-rounder next year they should do it.  In 2021 you can likely get a solid veteran at near league minimum on a one year contract.  He will contribute about the same as a 1st round rookie.  So that makes it no loss this year.  In 2022 we will have an extra first round draft pick to help - and who knows, it might be top 10.  So it's a win next year.

8 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

Can’t see trading our 1st for a veteran player but I can see trading for a 1st next year along with maybe a 2nd or 3rd in this years draft.

“Next year” isn’t going to help this year. We can win it all this year. Can’t mess with the window of opportunity. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Depends on the vet and the cost no?

If I am getting Danielle Hunter, that #30 is outa here with or without an offseason. 

But I agree that the value of trading the pick is higher without an offseason.

I am NOT trading with Minnesota they will draft a DE at 30 who will have 15 sacks and a DROY !!! 

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

“Next year” isn’t going to help this year. We can win it all this year. Can’t mess with the window of opportunity. 

I feel like we can win it all this year already but I want to win this year, next year, the year after that and so on. Getting a 2nd or 3rd this year will help us this year and then we’d have 2 #1s next year to keep it going. 

With the lack of combine and the strange college season last year, the overall evaluation process is going to be different this year. Dropping back 20 or 30 spots might not be that big of a drop off in talent. We’re not getting a guaranteed blue chip player at #30. 

55 minutes ago, Putin said:

I am NOT trading with Minnesota they will draft a DE at 30 who will have 15 sacks and a DROY !!! 

lol! Let em. Good for em. They are an NFC team - so not really consequential for our fortunes. There is no guarantee Beane would draft the same guy.  So long as Hunter helps us win playoff games against the Chiefs etc., I am good.