Do the Bills have "their guy" picked out?

I really hate the idea of trading up this year, especially if the Bills have “their guy” picked out...We’re going to need to groom young depth to take over for aging starters next year- and maybe by the end of the summer...

I see it more that the Bills likely have a group of 5-7 players that they would be interested in selecting...and they will likely wait to see which one to select when their pick is up...but who knows- Beane loves spending extra capital...

43 minutes ago, BTB said:

I'm said this all along.  Not only this, but people act like Beane is a mind reader and knew Josh would still be there at 7.  I'd love to know what the plan was if Josh went in the top 5 along with Baker and Darnold.

Pretty sure he was wearing Depends just in case; he's like that with contingencies.

• Haha (+1) 1

They will have their board. And pick against their board. 

Knox was a by product wasn’t “their” guy. He was the last of a group of TEs they graded well and the fall off after him was deep. That was all a need tradeup Beane even said as much. 

Dawkins if I remember was a glaring board standout. Had him graded a lot higher and worked to get him. Sometimes it works out got in a spot to get him. Other times it doesn’t there are many instances Beane has said he was trying to get to a spot and couldn’t make it happen. 

they will be true to their board. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

At 30 they don't really have a "guy" because there are too many scenarios in play ahead of them. Best they can do is maybe see a player they really wanted slip into the 20s and then move up to get him.

I have a feeling will move up one spot ahead of the fish and take DE/Phillips out Miami 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

there are many instances Beane has said he was trying to get to a spot and couldn’t make it happen. 

Very true, @MAJBobby! I recall Beane said that he tried to trade up for Moss, at a couple different points in last year's draft, and nobody would swap with us. All the trade-happy draftniks out there need to keep this in mind: in the same way that Madden is not the NFL, the mock draft simulators are not the NFL draft. If Wizard Beane couldn't trade up for Moss, it just lends perspective to how the mechanics of the draft really work.

Thankfully, Moss dropped, and we got our guy.

8 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I’d imagine they have about 10 guys on their radar at that point.  If one isn’t there I’m sure he’d love to trade back and get another 3rd 

This...  I’m sure they have some preferences at 30 but picking that far down you never know who is gonna be there 

I somehow doubt they have one player picked out 

12 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I agree that it's a strange draft, but I do think they've targeted a player.  They've spent the offseason on this.  

Yes, they've spent the offseason.

But targeting only one player isn't the way it works. Then or now. If Allen had gotten picked they'd have continued the  process. They wouldn't have folded up their tent.

They do what all the teams do, they put together a board. They do scenarios and figure out when and if they would trade up, down, etc.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, Baba Booey said:

Kyle Pitts is that guy!!! Just no chance of getting him. He would take the offense to the next level. 

Drafted TEs don't make that big impact usually in their rookie season

1 hour ago, Putin said:

I have a feeling will move up one spot ahead of the fish and take DE/Phillips out Miami 

Watching film of Phillips is intriguing. He has a lot of instinctual disruptive tendencies. I have the same feeling about him. 

I believe the Bills knew Josh Allen wasn't going #1 to Cleveland.  They knew Barkley was going to the Giants.  They likely knew the Jets weren't taking Allen, and the Browns were expected to take Bradley Chubb.  The Bills had set up the trade with Denver for the 5th pick, but Denver had let them know they would cancel the trade if Chubb became available.  When Cleveland chose Denzel Ward, the trade was canceled.  Indy had Andrew Luck, so they weren't QB shopping, and Indy took Nelson.  Tampa made the deal with us and we got Josh.

The Bills aren't going to tell anybody before the draft they're taking Josh Allen, but they wanted Josh Allen, and we got him.  I actually wanted them to get Mayfield, and I'm glad they didn't.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I believe the Bills knew Josh Allen wasn't going #1 to Cleveland.  They knew Barkley was going to the Giants.  They likely knew the Jets weren't taking Allen, and the Browns were expected to take Bradley Chubb.  The Bills had set up the trade with Denver for the 5th pick, but Denver had let them know they would cancel the trade if Chubb became available.  When Cleveland chose Denzel Ward, the trade was canceled.  Indy had Andrew Luck, so they weren't QB shopping, and Indy took Nelson.  Tampa made the deal with us and we got Josh.

The Bills aren't going to tell anybody before the draft they're taking Josh Allen, but they wanted Josh Allen, and we got him.  I actually wanted them to get Mayfield, and I'm glad they didn't.  

A lot of supposition there.  So the Bills found out in advance what Cleveland and Jets were doing  because teams like to share info on their number 1 picks?  Yet the Bills managed to not share who they were getting.     Cool.

Edited by prissythecat

1 hour ago, TC in St. Louis said:

You're nuts if you think you, the Bills or anyone but the GM of the Browns "knew" Josh Allen wasn't going #1 to Cleveland. They may have had a strong opinion about it. But they absolutely didn't "know" it. They simply didn't.

They didn't know any of this stuff you're saying they knew.

They may well have thought the top three picks would go the way they went and hoped nobody would trade up to #4

You also are mistaken about the details of the Denver deal. Denver didn't tell them Chubb was their guy. They just said they had a guy and if he was still there they wouldn't make the trade. Turned out the guy was Chubb, and Buffalo might well have suspected that. But yet again, they didn't know.

And we absolutely know that the Bills had Allen in their top three QBs, of course, since they picked him with only two already gone. But it's never been proven that they didn't prefer Darnold or Mayfield to Allen. We may strongly suspect it. We may hope it's true. But we don't know it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t for a second believe the Bills target “1” guy.  They put together a board and have groups of guys that they identified.  It is not 1 guy from prior to the draft until their pick.  That is a Raider pick drafting the fastest WR even if he has a lower round grade.

The Bills may move up if they identify that the last guy in a particular band/group is available and within striking distance - if they believe the drop off is significant, but they did not target that player from the beginning.

For Example: @GunnerBill believes there are about 17-18 true 1st round players (I believe - I am not presuming to speak for him).  If the Bills identify it similarly and we get to pick 25 or so and 1 (or 2) of those guys are left - then the Bills may try to make a trade to get that specific guy because the drop off to the next group is significant, but they were not targeting that player - that was how the board fell.

That is my feeling on how the draft works.  Almost no one would ever target 1 guy and be all in on that unless you are sitting at #1.

Yup. Just this.

Targeting one guy in a situation like this actually makes you less capable. You get tunnel vision and you tend to think that since not getting him would be failure that doing almost anything to get him is justified. Doing that almost forces you to be willing to give up far too much to move up. It's not how rational decision makers work, and Beane is rational as hell.

Targeting one guy induces confirmation bias.

Edited by Thurman#1

Real big difference between picking at 12 with a ton of ammo and needing a QB and picking at 30 in pretty good shape pretty much everywhere and not a lot of ammo. Probably a number of guys they like. Maybe a couple he'd be willing to move up a couple spots if the price weren't too prohibitive. But no way are they sitting there with a single "guy" in mind.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Drafted TEs don't make that big impact usually in their rookie season

I would normally agree with that completely. Kyle Pitts is the best TE prospect I can remember ever seeing as a college player. I’m no expert and freely admit I could be wrong, but he looked like a man among boys in the SEC. 

In the right setting, I think he could explode immediately. Unfortunately, being that good gets you drafted high enough to land on a crappy team, making a great rookie year difficult. 

Yes, he’s an under the radar CB/ big Nickel / Gadget WR / Speed RB / left footed punter combo from Western Idaho State... Katcha Kold 6’4 184 Lanky Merton Hanks meets Gayle Sayers type who just isn’t getting noticed because of his small school and his transfer after 2 years from Junior College.. running back football GIF by Brockportin all seriousness I think they have a group of guys they will take and think they will trade back as many as 3-7 spots and still get one of them so they can land an extra pick. 

Edited by Locomark

15 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I remember watching when Josh was picked.  I had told my buddy "the Bills have picked out their guy, and they're gonna get him no matter what it takes."  I think they did the same thing when they moved up to get Dawkins and Knox.  I believe they have a guy they want in this draft, probably one in each round, and they will do what it takes to get him.  If they have to move up, they will do that.  If he's there at #30, depending on the situation, they may move down a bit to get him.  But they'll get him.

Any thoughts on who "their guy" might be?  

In a realistic scenario on defense I’d say someone like Gregory Rousseau a dream scenario cause of other teams needs someone like Micah Parsons on D

And on O realistically Travis Etienne and a dream scenario a Jaylen Waddle