Derek Chauvin Trial

T&C

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I hear that. Most cops are carrying 9mm handguns today with 15 round clips. Technology has advanced since the 80's. There are less lethal 9mm rounds that police could put in the first 3-5 rounds. It would take 1 second to get off those rounds and could give officers a check stop to ask themselves, is this threat stopped? Did I make a mistake?  It could potentially save hundreds of lives per year. 

The catch to that idea is the police officer may have to respond to an incident where lethal force is necessary in that first shot to defend themselves.  For every teenager armed with a knife, there are domestic disputes with heavily armed individuals, drug dealers, active shooters, and otherwise violent felons that have zero compunction in killing a police officer.

I think the Columbus incident is a justifiable use of lethal force.  The woman was armed, was in the act of using that weapon on somebody, and did not stand down when the police arrived.  The woman in the pink jumpsuit was seconds away from being murdered.  This wasn't the George Floyd case by a country mile IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

So, did Jesus really die for our sins, or did the Roman's simply kill him to shut him up? 

The jews wanted him to shut up the Romans wanted the jews to shut up lol it's the pain cycle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

They should do a study on how many Americans are shot by police who are not in the midst of

committing a crime and/or being on drugs...my guess is right around 0

The entire country is on drugs. Anti-depressants and anxiety meds are extremely potent drugs handed out to anyone that requests them.

14 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Couldn’t agree more. That’s exactly what they want, and they’ve convinced a lot of mindless non-criminals that they should want it too. We’re witnessing a sort of liberal Stockholm syndrome. The thinking is so insane , it’s amazing anyone is agreeing with these radicals. So that girl should have just had a knife plunged into her neck, and the cops watch then take statements while preserving the scene? How does that make sense? I can imagine the calls for firings and lawsuits because they were negligent in their duty. 

thanks, i dont get to many responses on here. i think i put things in ways thats hard to argue against but i also drone on in long paragraphs. 

people want to change police interactions and just say POLICE should do this. or that. some i agree with, reforms are good. the issue is i don't here a lick about the public also needing to adjust.

want to change interactions. have a strict standard for the public as well as more training and accountability for BOTH sides. if they want to change the rules where every police stop requires hands out the window walk backwards and become cuffed at the trunk. ALL people white/black/ purple learn this and the public holds each other accountable same as the police. this can change where at least we have clear lines of who is putting who in danger. right now its litterally the wild west with everyone doing their own thing, police having different protocols and reactions ect ect. leading to alot of actions both sides can point to say look how they got out of hand. yeah but...

im willing to be treated the same as everyone else even if it is a inconvenience. if people are ok with being searched at airports how is this different. that seems like the standard everyone is asking for, equality. but only asks of one side to accomplish this task even when both lives are on the line and situations differ in every single call.

Edited by Buffarukus

22 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

thanks, i dont get to many responses on here. i think i put things in ways thats hard to argue against but i also drone on in long paragraphs. 

That's why I don't respond.  

BTW that's as far as I got with your post.  ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

The catch to that idea is the police officer may have to respond to an incident where lethal force is necessary in that first shot to defend themselves.  For every teenager armed with a knife, there are domestic disputes with heavily armed individuals, drug dealers, active shooters, and otherwise violent felons that have zero compunction in killing a police officer.

I think the Columbus incident is a justifiable use of lethal force.  The woman was armed, was in the act of using that weapon on somebody, and did not stand down when the police arrived.  The woman in the pink jumpsuit was seconds away from being murdered.  This wasn't the George Floyd case by a country mile IMO.

— Columbus, Ohio Mayor Andrew Ginther held a press conference on ... updates on the fatal police shooting of 16-year-old Ma'Khia Bryant. ... Chief, is a 12-minute response time to report an attempted stabbing acceptable?

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/16-year-old-makhia-bryant-killed-by-police-update-columbus-ohio-mayor-press-conference-transcript-april-21

If that is true a more urgent dispatch to get there sooner might have made a difference.

7 minutes ago, ALF said:

— Columbus, Ohio Mayor Andrew Ginther held a press conference on ... updates on the fatal police shooting of 16-year-old Ma'Khia Bryant. ... Chief, is a 12-minute response time to report an attempted stabbing acceptable?

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/16-year-old-makhia-bryant-killed-by-police-update-columbus-ohio-mayor-press-conference-transcript-april-21

If that is true a more urgent dispatch to get there sooner might have made a difference.

This is why many of us say how absurd it is to suggest taking funding away from police.  

I know I've told this story a million times but it took Oakland PD 14 hours to respond to our security alarm.  They obviously had higher priorities and they are spread too thin.  I almost never saw a police cruiser in our neighborhood.  They were way too busy down in the "flatlands" to concern themselves with some minor break ins.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

That's why I don't respond.  

BTW that's as far as I got with your post.  ;) 

lol im usually at work as well. auto correct is quite a feature that makes me look half literate. i read it back later and have to shower off the shame of the all the misspellings and punctuation errors. 

but im also a product of buffalo inner city schooling soooo not my fault 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Buffarukus

44 minutes ago, ALF said:

Another question might be “For the Chief or Mayor, had that young lady not been trying to kill that other girl by stabbbing her in the neck, might the outcome have been different?”. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Another question might be “For the Chief or Mayor, had that young lady not been trying to kill that other girl by stabbbing her in the neck, might the outcome have been different?”. 

Lady? Has that standing now been compromised? She was no lady... just intent on inflicting harm on another.  If this person wasn't in the process of stabbing someone... possibly in the neck, who knows... then she may still alive today. 

Just now, T&C said:

Lady? Has that standing now been compromised? She was no lady... just intent on inflicting harm on another.  If this person wasn't in the process of stabbing someone... possibly in the neck, who knows... then she may still alive today. 

It drives me nuts.  I can’t recall from the video, but seems to me there were 4 or 5 people in the video.  Let’s recap who stepped up to save this girl: 

Person 1, nothing.

Person 2, nothing. 

Person 3, nothing. 
Person 4, nothing. 
Person 5, fighting for her life. 

Reporters in natural habitat: 

Why was the officer so slow? 
Why was he so fast? 

Why did the officer not shoot at a calf or foot, (as we know, there are no arteries in a leg).
Why do you train officers to try and stop the loss of life through application of deadly force? 
Why not just yell “NO KNIFE BULLYING!”? 

The mayor needed to nut up and say, “The loss of life is tragic, but we can’t allow people to stab others in the neck and it appears the officer did what he could to prevent that.”. 

10 minutes ago, T&C said:

Sorry, I defer to young lady here.  And it’s perfectly acceptable to try and figure out how things went so wrong for her, the mental health Issues and the like, but jeesh, you’d think a forced tracheotomy to a person who doesn’t want or need one would be enough here. 

7 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

It's not the weapons the officers have to use.  It's all about how to deescalate a situation which is really really hard.  There are times when the first shot NEEDS to be lethal.  But the challenge is determining in a split second if lethal force is required or not.  For instance tasers.  If a suspect has a handgun and the officer pulls their taser. The suspect pulls his weapon.  The officer is now out gunned (taser in hand firearm likely still holstered) and in big trouble.  As long as their are bad guys out there that are willing to fight to the death, and the officers do not know if the person they are facing has such a person cops will use lethal force.

As an aside we bought our first weapons when we lived in Oakland. We took lessons at a range where the OPD would train. The Range Master said they were some of the worst shots.  I guess when you're trained to unload your clip on a suspect accuracy is not important.  

Do you have any ...you know....actual data to substantiate anything in  that first paragraph.....or just talking out your arse?

39 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Try and imagine .................

They should erect a statue of him holding a gun to a pregnant woman’s stomach in homage to his achievements leading up to his murder by a scumbag cop.

25 minutes ago, BillStime said:

So you’re finally admitting the systemic racism narrative is BS and the real issue might actually be unbiased general police brutality. That’s a solid evolution for you bud. I sure hope it means you might have started thinking for yourself. 

25 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They should erect a statue of him holding a gun to a pregnant woman’s stomach in homage to his achievements leading up to his murder by a scumbag cop.

So you’re finally admitting the systemic racism narrative is BS and the real issue might actually be unbiased general police brutality. That’s a solid evolution for you bud. I sure hope it means you might have started thinking for yourself. 

Did you buy a gun yet? I know the big bad scary Democrats are making you think you need one.