Derek Chauvin Trial

T&C

11 hours ago, Motorin' said:

You can't really fault the officer for trying to prevent a stabbing like that in the heat of the moment. It seemed chaotic and happened so quick. 

It did make me wonder if police officers  should have some kind of less lethal rounds in the first 4 or 5 bullets in their clips. Something with definite stopping power, but not guaranteed to cause someone to bled out in minutes when they hit center mass. 

If they need to use deadly force they can keep shooting, but if they made a mistake it could save people's lives. 

There was a time when police officers carried considerably less lethal, less capacity firearms.  Two "things" happened, largely in the 1980s:  Police were more frequently outgunned by the criminals with the 1986 Miami Dade event being one of the more noteworthy events.  Two, police were encountering more people high on drugs that could endure multiple shots from .38 caliber and even 9mm handguns and were still able to move and do what they wanted to do.  You saw a big push in law enforcement circles to use 10mm for a while, many brought back .45 caliber handguns as service weapons, and 9mm handguns capable of firing higher grain rounds than your usual 115gr rounds.  

I think police need to carry firearms that posses the potential to end violent situations.  For example, I'd want the police to have a lethal force option to take on an active shooter or a hostage situation.   

I think the issue is that the non-lethal gadgets they have aren't powerful enough and the cops don't trust them when it counts.  Some people can take Taser and spray and they can keep doing what they are doing.  The Columbus police officer could have used the Taser and the woman with the knife could have gotten a couple stabs off before she could be stopped.

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Precisely.  Black on black crime is so commonplace now, it's not news anymore.  The thing that should scare everyone is now they don't give a ***** about the reason why a cop if forced to kill a black person.

37 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Yeah, "unilateral" accountability. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dpberr said:

There was a time when police officers carried considerably less lethal, less capacity firearms.  Two "things" happened, largely in the 1980s:  Police were more frequently outgunned by the criminals with the 1986 Miami Dade event being one of the more noteworthy events.  Two, police were encountering more people high on drugs that could endure multiple shots from .38 caliber and even 9mm handguns and were still able to move and do what they wanted to do.  You saw a big push in law enforcement circles to use 10mm for a while, many brought back .45 caliber handguns as service weapons, and 9mm handguns capable of firing higher grain rounds than your usual 115gr rounds.  

I think police need to carry firearms that posses the potential to end violent situations.  For example, I'd want the police to have a lethal force option to take on an active shooter or a hostage situation.   

I think the issue is that the non-lethal gadgets they have aren't powerful enough and the cops don't trust them when it counts.  Some people can take Taser and spray and they can keep doing what they are doing.  The Columbus police officer could have used the Taser and the woman with the knife could have gotten a couple stabs off before she could be stopped.

I hear that. Most cops are carrying 9mm handguns today with 15 round clips. Technology has advanced since the 80's. There are less lethal 9mm rounds that police could put in the first 3-5 rounds. It would take 1 second to get off those rounds and could give officers a check stop to ask themselves, is this threat stopped? Did I make a mistake?  It could potentially save hundreds of lives per year. 

21 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I hear that. Most cops are carrying 9mm handguns today with 15 round clips. Technology has advanced since the 80's. There are less lethal 9mm rounds that police could put in the first 3-5 rounds. It would take 1 second to get off those rounds and could give officers a check stop to ask themselves, is this threat stopped? Did I make a mistake?  It could potentially save hundreds of lives per year. 

And ask themselves if it is mostly peaceful knife fight, amirite.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

That’s an interesting idea. Maybe even just the first round. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

You didn’t make any point.

The right is not unfettered on company time. That is true. Employers can do things like say you can’t promote a product on company time or you can’t protest on company time.

The absence of a company doing such means the company is allowing an unfettered right to do so on company time. The NFL knew of protests. The NFL gave their permission. Therefore the players were granted an unfettered right to protest by kneeling on company time.

Protests have consequences. If it’s right wing nuts not watching the NFL because they don’t like what occurs before the game, I’m sure the NFL took that into account and found any loss of revenue didn’t matter.

To the point that it’s entertainment, if you made a pie graph if entertaining things you see in an NFL football game, I’d guess a sliver of it is the national anthems. Hell most people are in the bathroom or in line for food when it’s occurring.

The fact remains the right was against players taking a knee during the anthem. They didn’t like that sign of protest. They don’t like black athletes voicing their opinion.

let’s look at Fox News for a great example:

Black athletes:

“It's always unwise to seek political advice from someone who gets paid $100 million a year to bounce a ball," Ingraham said. "Oh, and LeBron and Kevin, you're great players, but no one voted for you. Millions elected Trump to be their coach. So keep the political commentary to yourself, or as someone once said, 'Shut up and dribble.'"

White:

Now let's fast forward to Wednesday's show and see what she had to say about Brees, who gets paid millions of dollars to throw a ball...

"Well, he's allowed to have his view about what kneeling and the flag means to him. I mean, he's a person," Ingraham said. "He has some worth, I would imagine. I mean, this is beyond football, though. This is totalitarian conduct. This is Stalinist. And by the way, on the streets of New Orleans — we're looking at live pictures — they're shouting, 'Eff Drew Brees.'

Brees didn’t protest, he just let his opinion about said protest be known via a tweet or something. It was a response, because the left calls you out if you don’t agree with their lie. You fail to see that, because you’re indoctrinated. I don’t remember Brees “ protesting” during a football game. Besides, he’s a complete POS because he caved to the pressure. The anthem itself is most certainly not entertainment. Remember , they say “please rise while we honor America...”. As I also pointed out, most non libs were fine with the idea of keeping the players inside during the anthem ( as was done for many decades) or to simply eliminate it from being played before games. That idea was also panned by the left. You seem to think that everyone must be subjected to the “ protest” and no one can have an opinion contrary to the protest. The issue is that this “ protest” along with BLM riots etc is pushing a lie, a gross exaggeration of facts, and advancing a radical agenda that is not supported by the data. It’s being endorsed by spineless corporations and cheered on by liberal owned leftist msm. I see LeBron is “ so tired “ of seeing black people killed by law enforcement. He should watch video of white people being shot and he’ll feel much better. Trouble is, the media doesn’t show these. Maybe he doesn’t know that hundreds more white folks are shot by Police every year. His tweets show an astounding level of ignorance. He should watch Fox News, because the showed the dash cam footage of a deputy who was gunned down by a driver that he pulled over during a traffic stop. That’s the danger faced by law enforcement every day. 

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That’s an interesting idea. Maybe even just the first round. 

Sure, take away their advantage over the criminals. A bunch more dead Cops per year can really help to ,you know balance things out. Couple that with Chris Cuomo’s idea and have them shoot a bunch of “ white kids” per year and we’ll be close to achieving equity! Policing reimagined! 

25 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

You see , they need to let kids be kids! They could have let an OJ style knife killing just play out as it should. We don’t need Cops saving anyone from a good old fashioned knife fight! 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Precisely.  Black on black crime is so commonplace now, it's not news anymore.  The thing that should scare everyone is now they don't give a ***** about the reason why a cop if forced to kill a black person.

Yeah, "unilateral" accountability. :rolleyes:

Yes! The numbers clearly show that b on b crime is far outpacing any other. It has been “ normalized” and that’s scary. The biggest threat to a young man of color is not a cop, but other young men that look just like him. It’s a sad truth you point out , and it’s ignored or even celebrated by the left. Thousands upon thousands of murders per year, yet the lefts outrage and hatred of America and  Caucasians in general is so great, they focus on a few hundred Police involved shootings per year across the entire nation! 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

Police shoot and kill over 500 unarmed people per year. Most of them bleed out because of the strength of the ammo. 

I'd like to ask the officer who shot 13 year old Adam Toldeo once in the chest if he wished his first round didn't kill him on impact. 

Just now, Motorin' said:

Police shoot and kill over 500 unarmed people per year. Most of them bleed out because of the strength of the ammo. 

I'd like to ask the officer who shot 13 year old Adam Toldeo once in the chest if he wished his first round didn't kill him on impact. 

I am sure that almost all police officers wish they did not have to use deadly force and are psychologically affected when they do.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Of course it is! That girl was just expressing her individuality, her reality. Who cares if another girl was about to take a knife wound to a vital organ or have her throat cut! Now if he did nothing or took some action but the other girl was stabbed or even killed, it would clearly have been systemic racism and a Caucasian girl would have been saved. 

9 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The officer probably does. Most Cops don’t want to use their service weapon. Sadly, teens with weapons or weapon charges against them are common these days. Putting more Cops in danger by lessening their advantage over criminals who will try to kill them in order to escape isn’t an answer here. Edit: I’m not sure of the validity of your over 500 unarmed number, and question the definition of “ unarmed” but no matter. I know the number of unarmed poc last year was less than 20. It just doesn’t happen that often to anyone ( I mean 500 in a nation of 300 plus million ? Not worth worrying about )  but it’s sensationalized by the media and Police hate groups. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The officer probably does. Most Cops don’t want to use their service weapon. Sadly, teens with weapons or weapon charges against them are common these days. Putting more Cops in danger by lessening their advantage over criminals who will try to kill them in order to escape isn’t an answer here. 

Less than 50 officers were killed in the line of duty in 2019 while over 500 unarmed US citizens were shot dead by police. 

The advantage officers have on most armed people is their training, which allows them to hit their target. I'm not suggesting police be forced to use BB guns, but less lethal first round(s) that could save lives. 

Edited by Motorin'

Just now, Motorin' said:

Less than 50 officers were killed in the line of duty in 2019 while over 500 unarmed US citizens were shot dead by police. 

The advantage officers have on most armed people is their training, which allows them to hit their target. I'm not suggesting police by forced to use BB guns, but a less lethal first round(s) that could save lives. 

Still have to research that number, as I seriously doubt half of all shot were unarmed. On to the other point.  So the answer is we need to get that number of dead cops higher ?  got it. Equity ! 

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Of course it is! That girl was just expressing her individuality, her reality. Who cares if another girl was about to take a knife wound to a vital organ or have her throat cut! Now if he did nothing or took some action but the other girl was stabbed or even killed, it would clearly have been systemic racism and a Caucasian girl would have been saved. 

The officer probably does. Most Cops don’t want to use their service weapon. Sadly, teens with weapons or weapon charges against them are common these days. Putting more Cops in danger by lessening their advantage over criminals who will try to kill them in order to escape isn’t an answer here. Edit: I’m not sure of the validity of your over 500 unarmed number, and question the definition of “ unarmed” but no matter. I know the number of unarmed poc last year was less than 20. It just doesn’t happen that often to anyone ( I mean 500 in a nation of 300 plus million ? Not worth worrying about )  but it’s sensationalized by the media and Police hate groups. 

500 killings of unarmed people by 750,000 law enforcement officers is not worth worrying about? That's around how many people are sadly killed in Chicago each year, a metro area with nearly 10 million people. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Still have to research that number, as I seriously doubt half of all shot were unarmed. On to the other point.  So the answer is we need to get that number of dead cops higher ?  got it. Equity ! 

You are assuming that the solution I am advocating would lead to more officer deaths, with no reasoning to back it up. 

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you’re of the opinion that police officers don’t get regular training? You know this, how? And you’re of the opinion that the Police Academy needs to be either replaced or supplemented by two years of community college so they can brush up on their pre-algebra? 

I have an associates degree in Culinary Arts.  Maybe the cops can bake everyone a cake. Everybody likes cake right.  Crisis averted.  

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Don’t be disingenuous.  You know he’s not talking about them taking math classes.  As a general rule for any job more training is better than less.  

What degree would be a prerequisite then?  What and how will that degree help them make the right decision is a split second crisis?  

• Like (+1) 1