Derek Chauvin Trial

T&C

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

When you say the police only show up to a radio call, that is what I'm talking about with respect to re-establishing trust.  I think police should be out in communities during times of non-confrontation, establishing relationships in the community.  

That’s all fine, and we don’t disagree, but that’s not when these confrontations occur. Just having police shaking hands, and distributing candy (I know that’s not what your saying) isn’t enough to cure the problem. We really have to stop all the ‘police are out to get you’ rhetoric. It’s not helping develop the trust you seek.

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Thanks for wading in, and sharing your perspective. 

I don’t quite understand you on folks choosing to express disdain for kneeling.  If everyone is entitled to an opinion and thoughts on the subject, why do we need to go further than that?  

Some folks changed the channel.  Some folks stopped watching.  Some folks kneeled.  Others didn’t.   It seems to me the debate was sort of uniquely American. 

For what it’s worth, I had no interest in watching the NFL for it evolved into 3 hours of social justice activism, or frankly 30 minutes of it.  With few exceptions,  I’m not looking to players for any great life lessons.  

I think the NFL did a good job of managing all that this past season.  A couple bumps in the road—the Steelers paying tribute to an individual while one honored a fallen soldier, the sniping at the non-compliant player only to find out later the guy was not an innocent victim of police violence.  

The reality seems to me to be that the players aren’t able to do whatever they want, but the NFL has to walk the fine line between managing player expectations, social causes and keeping paying customers as paying customers.  It’s a work in progress. 

Fair point on kneeling v rioting.  And, while I supported DJT as President, I thought his foray into this subject was a mistake and he should have kept his thoughts to himself. 

Thank you for welcoming me and also willing to have a debate with me. Greatly appreciate it.  So first, I do not think I have ever said you or anyone opposite of my opinion on athletes kneeling  do not have the right to your opinion or you do not have the right to dislike it. We need "to go further than that" because it's what this country needs. "A discussion/communications/debates/talk" it's healthy, it helps everything become more understandable. You and I may never agree on this subject, but at least we had a discussion on it.

and these quotes from you " If everyone is entitled to an opinion and thoughts on the subject, why do we need to go further than that? " "I’m not looking to players for any great life lessons" so everyone is entitled to their opinion, but athletes are not allowed to theirs? You are on here expressing your opinion. So does that mean it's only ok, if someone agrees with you but not ok if someone doesn't agree with you? And although I agree some owners my not like their protest they are certainly "allowing" the athletes to express their opinions. 

Again the protesting by athletes is done before a game that is for like 2mins, and if anything is brought up it's like in passing, or made mentioned for probably another 1 mins or so during the game. I mean i don't see where it hinders viewership. If you don't wanna watch to begin with then you were never interested.  Some do talk about it after , but in my opinion who honestly sticks around to hear an athlete speak post game anyways in general.

and again asking for equality is not political. What turned it into this political talking point was the ex president who seen it as a way to get voters, to increase his like ability, so he of course put two and two together and created a even bigger fire storm which that seems to be what  his presidency toward the end was about. 

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s all fine, and we don’t disagree, but that’s not when these confrontations occur. Just having police shaking hands, and distributing candy (I know that’s not what your saying) isn’t enough to cure the problem. We really have to stop all the ‘police are out to get you’ rhetoric. It’s not helping develop the trust you seek.

What I’m saying is building trust is a two way street.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

The problem with this chauvin clown is this isn't a single individual committing 

a crime, the left truly believes in their minds that he represents all the people 

they hate,  the right, trumpers, white people, christians, and anyone else who doesn't 

agree with them.

They want all of them jailed or dead, asap.

Fixed it for you ...

The problem with these Roof and Rittenhouse clowns is that they are being hailed as heroes by the right rather than the racist bigots they are. The right truly believes in their minds that Roof and Rittenhouse represent all the people they love,  the right, trumpers, white people, christians, and anyone else who embraces fascism, racism, and gun violence.  They want anybody, especially black or brown people, who disagrees with their agenda jailed or dead, asap.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So that’s all you got. It was passed by Republican white guys therefore it’s racist?  🙄

Let me ask you. Any idea how much input did they get from white constituents?  Has your local state politician called you for your input?  You do realize why we elect them right?  To make laws on our behalf.  Don’t like their record? Campaign to have them removed.  A wise man once said “elections have consequences.”  

Give me an example of the tables being turned and I’ll let you know if I would be butt hurt. 

That's all I have because that's all that is needed - and your reply is exactly what is ailing this country. If you can't see why a bunch of white GOP dudes...in GA... reworking voting structures from their exclusive standpoint...and signing it behind a locked door...aint racist....your...well pretty much a white guy who has no standing to say what is racist and what is not. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Immediately blaming the police for every confrontation that turns violent has always seemed odd to me. The real question we should be asking ourselves is why there are so many of these confrontations in the first place. There really should be very few. As a society, we need to spend some major money on public service announcements and in-school training on the appropriate way to interact with police officers. Car chases, resisting arrest, refusing to obey reasonable commands, etc should all disappear from the video footage we’ve become so accustomed to seeing time, and time, and time again.

Unfortunately there is a great portion of our society that just do not trust the police. From past events to present events it's just what it is. It's unfortunate but I think all of us, would understand or can understand...if you have a bad experiences or had a closet friend or love one who had a bad experience you too will be skeptical. And that is with anything not just police. It's a natural human reaction. For many, all they know from policeman are firing hoes on black people in the 60s, falsely accusing a black person of a crime that they didn't commit and the abuse of their power. Now I didn't say that is what all police do. I am stating how a large portion of the country sees it that way and its not because of cnn or fox news, tweets or any other media outlet. It's been that way for decades.  

Now the rest of your post I agree 100%. this is what I would like everyone, us as a people, politicians/law makers to focus on. Educating the public AND POLICE on how to deal with each other better. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

12 hours ago, aristocrat said:

People need to just stop committing crimes. All this gets solved.

Well, that’s a racist thing to say...how dare you infringe on my right to commit crimes...soldiers died for my right to decide, whether or not, I choose to comply with the law...and anyone who disagrees with my criminal activity is straight up raaaaaasaaacist! 😉

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

That's all I have because that's all that is needed - and your reply is exactly what is ailing this country. If you can't see why a bunch of white GOP dudes...in GA... reworking voting structures from their exclusive standpoint...and signing it behind a locked door...aint racist....your...well pretty much a white guy who has no standing to say what is racist and what is not. 

This is a very two way street and I think YOURS is much more dangerous.  In my mind your thought process is what is ailing this country.  Deeming something as racist and coming to that conclusion solely on the color, political affiliation, and geographic region of those who wrote it is very failed in my mind.  Not one sentence of the Bill is pointed to as being racist.  

I dream of the day a Bill is judged by it's contents instead of the color of those who wrote it. 

That is all that's needed...... Sigh.  

13 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

One of the most idiotic posts I’ve seen in some time....even from you. Extra judicial whateverthellyourecallingit is a bunch of nonsense. It’s not normalized by any means, in fact it happens a very small percentage of the time. Around a thousand Police involved shootings in a given year.. out of millions of police calls, in a country of 300million plus. It’s not all that common, and when it happens it’s almost always a justified use of force. Moore subjects are white than black or other minority. Police are indemnified in the use of (deadly) physical force because of the violent criminals they face every day, manny of which will try to kill Police officers. It’s not perfect, but nothing is 100%. 

Comparing looting and burning of cities and business in response to a crime by an individual is never acceptable. Comparing it to a protest due to unheard of , unscrupulous changes to election policy in order to facilitate cheating through

unverifiable unrequested paper ballots :a crime against America and the integrity of our election system is patently absurd. If we don’t protest that, we are no better than despotic Communist outposts 

Gotta love someone who levels an accusation of “idiotic post” and then says the nonsense above.

You bought Trump’s Big Lie (which has been refuted by, oh , I dunno, ANYONE with a shred of credibility) hook, line, and sinker and you’re accusing ME of idiocy? That’s rich. 😂

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

Gotta disagree with the bill being called "racist" and I am a black person. Although i can say I do not know all  the "language" and understanding of the bill. I think how and why the bill is coming to pass is f'd up, suspicious and think it's a bunch of b.s., but It's not racist. It's not singling out a particular race. A political party I would say yea, but not a race, because in my opinion I think it's singling out voters who want to vote democratically but obviously not all democrats are black and/or brown.....Chinese, Japanese, etc. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Gotta love someone who levels an accusation of “idiotic post” and then says the nonsense above.

You bought Trump’s Big Lie (which has been refuted by, oh , I dunno, ANYONE with a shred of credibility) hook, line, and sinker and you’re accusing ME of idiocy? That’s rich. 😂

Come on man, even you, deep down in your heart, know that it was an election rife with fraud and dishonesty. To believe otherwise is simply closing your eyes to the facts. I only wish that there was a true insurrection that day, a true overthrow of the corrupt politicians that laugh in the faces of Americans who believe that their votes matter. 

28 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

Gotta disagree with the bill being called "racist" and I am a black person. Although i can say I do not know all  the "language" and understanding of the bill. I think how and why the bill is coming to pass is f'd up, suspicious and think it's a bunch of b.s., but It's not racist. It's not singling out a particular race. A political party I would say yea, but not a race, because in my opinion I think it's singling out voters who want to vote democratically but obviously not all democrats are black and/or brown.....Chinese, Japanese, etc. 

Thanks for that assessment. Why do you suppose Dems are calling it a “racist/anti-black” bill then? 

46 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

You're right... the language in the bill does not specifically have WORDS that SAY BLACK and BROWN people; unlike the GQP bills that go after LGTBQ and Transgender people.

The bill still limits access and makes it difficult for minority and economically disadvantage people (who vote blue) with fair access to the polls. 

If Georgia was smart - they would have just passed a bill without all that drama and said: we are creating a special GQP appointed committee to override any voter/county results that we don't like.  That's basically what this special partisan committee that overrides the local election boards and the SOS - and they added in all the other racist shittt so that people wouldn't acknowledge what is really behind this bill.  

Edited by BillStime

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Thanks for that assessment. Why do you suppose Dems are calling it a “racist/anti-black” bill then? 

I honestly think, with these emotions starting from when kaep kneeling peacefully and getting the backlash from it,  police brutality, trump fanning certain fires, the electionon, the "Karens" of the world... all of it has cause a great divide with a lot of black people thinking we are the hunted in every way. It's unfortunate but that is the cricks of the matter and why I said to a follow poster as a country if we speak to one another, have a discussions more...we do not have to agree but being able to listen and also talk things out. A lot of crap could be better viewed.

of course the media does not help, from both sides though. Not just from the left, from the right too.

I remember when all the rioting started I had a back n forth with a poster on another forum. I said if we want change as people we need to handle all of this responsibly. I understood the rioting immediately after Floyd was killed, but it needed to stop there after because it was going to take away from the overall message and that message is " equality". We as black people want to be looked and judge just like everyone else. Continuing to riot is doing a disservice  for the true cause. Case and point. The decision has been made with the Floyd case but instead of us as a people looking to solve the issue between police and black people we have talking heads, and people in general talking about rioters and looters and how it affected the case. Like we took a step forward to move two step back. And of course a lot of this rioting is  not for any of the right causes....

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Couple ideas you dont understand. Sports has a long history of political uses. Protests aren’t supposed to be easy for you to ignore. NFL players did nothing wrong and disobeyed nothing on their employer agreement protesting. I’m sorry that you wanted to sit down and watch a game without hearing about black people being murdered by cops but the protest is to get people like you to have to acknowledge it.

For example, if there’s a protest of a WalMart and makes the protest makes it hard for you to go buy whatever you buy there, then the protest is inconvenient but it brings light to the protestors actions to groups that may not know about the issues.

Second, the military. You do know This originally started with sitting for the anthem. Kaep was told that could be disrespectful to the military so he worked with a US veteran on the best way to protest?

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/09/646115651/the-veteran-and-nfl-player-who-advised-kaepernick-to-take-a-knee

Not just any veteran, but a retired Green Beret.

And it struck a chord with me, of course, and it struck a chord with a lot of people - a lot of people in the veteran community as well - because obviously the flag and the anthem and what that stuff stands for means something, you know, very different to us. And I was pretty upset, you know, just because I felt like he didn't understand what those symbols really represent. And - but instead of letting my anger overwhelm me, I decided to relax a little bit, and I wrote this open letter that was just explaining my experiences, my relationship to the flag.

And Colin actually reached out, said he wanted to meet with me. And we sat in the lobby of the team hotel, discussed our situation, our different opinions and feelings about all this. And I suggested him taking a knee instead of sitting even though I wanted him to stand, and he wanted to sit. And it was, like, this compromise that we sort of came to. And that's where the kneeling began.”

But again we’re still back to the right doesn’t have an acceptable form of protest for minority communities.

I asked the question previously and not a single person here answered even though everyone and their sister seems to watch quote my posts.

What would be an acceptable way for the black community to protest?

The call a riot the language of the unheard. With the right constantly telling the black community don’t protest that way, don’t protest like that, shut up and dribble, there is a reason why that community feels unheard.

You  seem to be conflating the right to do something and whether you should, since they obviously have the right legally. As for the riots, all of the ones that happened destroyed primarily minority communities. How do you think those riots helped minorities? How to explain how burning down a black owned business is helpful to anyone here? I will defend the right to protest, even ones I disagree with, but you are defending the riots also.

8 minutes ago, BillStime said:

You're right... the language in the bill does not specifically have WORDS that SAY BLACK and BROWN people; unlike the GQP bills that go after LGTBQ and Transgender people.

The bill still limits access and makes it difficult for minority and economically disadvantage people (who vote blue) with fair access to the polls. 

If Georgia was smart - they would have just passed a bill without all that drama and said: we are creating a special GQP appointed committee to override any voter/county results that we don't like.  That's basically what this special partisan committee that overrides the local election boards and the SOS - and they added in all the other racist shittt so that people wouldn't acknowledge what is really behind this bill.  

I agree what this bill is doing, and as I said the whole thing is "fishy" but we gotta be careful how we are wording it because for the sake of the discussion there are definitely plenty of white people in Georgia that did and want to vote blue. Again i do not know all the language so i could be wrong but my mother lives in Atlanta and just had knee surgery so can never stand up for a long period of time again. And my understanding voting in Georgia takes hours...hours to do so if the bill is eliminating or limiting "mail-in" ballots that leaves her at a disadvantage and that is b.s.  

1 minute ago, Ghost_002! said:

I agree what this bill is doing, and as I said the whole thing is "fishy" but we gotta be careful how we are wording it because for the sake of the discussion there are definitely plenty of white people in Georgia that did and want to vote blue. Again i do not know all the language so i could be wrong but my mother lives in Atlanta and just had knee surgery so can never stand up for a long period of time again. And my understanding voting in Georgia takes hours...hours to do so if the bill is eliminating or limiting "mail-in" ballots that leaves her at a disadvantage and that is b.s.  

Standing for hours - that's a damn shame and completely by design.

NO ONE should have to stand for HOURS in line to vote.

Georgia closed 214 voting sites the past few years and this bill reactivated ZERO sites.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wnyguy said:

Come on man, even you, deep down in your heart, know that it was an election rife with fraud and dishonesty. To believe otherwise is simply closing your eyes to the facts. I only wish that there was a true insurrection that day, a true overthrow of the corrupt politicians that laugh in the faces of Americans who believe that their votes matter. 

Where’s the data?  Where are the facts?  You have none.  I say this all the time; you want to decide that 2+2= 5 just because you want to decide it’s true.  Sorry but that doesn’t work.

• Agree 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Where’s the data?  Where are the facts?  You have none.  I say this all the time; you want to decide that 2+2= 5 just because you want to decide it’s true.  Sorry but that doesn’t work.

I guess I am relying on my eyes and my own common sense to hold my belief that the election was filled with inaccuracies and fraud and dishonesty. I could give you example after example but it would fall on deaf ears.