Derek Chauvin Trial

T&C

16 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

In reality, a truly evolved society should want the worst offenders among us to be given the consideration that which an innocent person should be given.  It goes contrary to emotional logic but it’s true. 

It amazes me, but when you look at the “he’s guilty!” crowd in the bleachers, it’s the same “string em up” crowd you saw pre-civil rights.  The target may be different, and at times  much more reprehensible, but people love to leap before they look. 

A society that is so evolved that 73,000,000 voted for a guy who lied every day, exaggerated every day, ridiculed others everyday, flipped positions everyday and created circumstances that killed 557,000 and the Jan6th riots.

For goodness sake leh, just say it us obvious that Chauvin is guilty of something between manslaughter and murder2. 

Your cred is harmed when you cannot at least move towards a reasonable position.

14 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Now wait a second here! You’re not going to try and bring logic and facts into this are you?

Like you, I find this trial to be nowhere close to living up to the mobs cries of systemic racism? Did I miss the testimony where the prosecution showed the racist training only white Minneapolis officers get? Where's the testimony with the Chauvins racist tweets or use of racist rhetoric during the arrest? Did we really burn down cities over this? We made a plaza in the Capital over this? We’ve got athletes kneeling in Europe over this?

Trump and his peeps, Qs and conspiracy guys turned the Capital into a murder scene and a fortress, so it is easy to see how people can turn Chauvin into a race issue, whether it should be or not...just a point on the string of many obvious race issues created by police actions. 

32 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

A society that is so evolved that 73,000,000 voted for a guy who lied every day, exaggerated every day, ridiculed others everyday, flipped positions everyday and created circumstances that killed 557,000 and the Jan6th riots.

For goodness sake leh, just say it us obvious that Chauvin is guilty of something between manslaughter and murder2. 

Your cred is harmed when you cannot at least move towards a reasonable position.

You’re conflating a couple different posts, but that could be due to the language barrier that exists between our peoples.   Here’s what I wrote just t’other day in a response to Tibsy.  I know intellectually honesty is out of style these days, but it is what it is:

######

The question you don’t seem to want to answer is “guilty of what?”.  I’ll try. 

I’m not splitting hairs with you here, I’m trying to ascertain what level of conviction that you would be comfortable with.  The story sickens me and I have no desire to follow it in detail.  I think Chauvin showed a depraved indifference to the well-being of a suspect in his custody.   I think it’s beyond foolish to think that GF’s drug use could not have contributed to his death in that moment at that time, and that’s something a jury has to consider.   I think we’ll hear from “experts” that yield different “expert results”.

I’d think the manslaughter conviction is probably where it should end up from a legal perspective, and I think that’s why the prosecution included that count.   

I think the jury will convict on the murder charge because it’s a highlyemotional, highly charged, racially important trial and I’d be hard pressedto imagine anyone would want to deal with the scrutiny and threat to self that comes with the conviction on a lessercharge here. Chauvin is an easy defendant to despise. 

What part of this post damaged what precious little credibility I have left with you already, @Niagara Bill?   Please be specific, because I’m not seeing it. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Trump and his peeps, Qs and conspiracy guys turned the Capital into a murder scene and a fortress, so it is easy to see how people can turn Chauvin into a race issue, whether it should be or not...just a point on the string of many obvious race issues created by police actions. 

That has to be one of your all time worst posts. This literally has nothing to do with Trump or your Q obsession. (And the only person ‘murdered’ at the Capitol was a protestor.) 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

So he is not guilty of murder? 

I’m comfortable with my previous reply.  

Interestingly, on the Today show this morning, a reporter mentioned that the prosecution is expected to rest this week.  He then said something markedly different than what they have been reporting previously...that the prosecution in attempting to establish that drugs in GFs system were not the “only reason for his death”.  

Prior to today, the narrative was about knees, restricted airways and 9 minutes.  I wondered what changed—do you have any feedback having watched the trial consistently?   

20 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’m comfortable with my previous reply.  

Interestingly, on the Today show this morning, a reporter mentioned that the prosecution is expected to rest this week.  He then said something markedly different than what they have been reporting previously...that the prosecution in attempting to establish that drugs in GFs system were not the “only reason for his death”.  

Prior to today, the narrative was about knees, restricted airways and 9 minutes.  I wondered what changed—do you have any feedback having watched the trial consistently?   

I haven't watched in a few days but I think what you are referring to is towards the bottom of this article:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2021/04/12/chauvin-trial-george-floyd-prosecution-nears-end

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, B-Man said:

And for your own self interest, please don't try that 2nd grade response that Tibsy and BillZtime are so fond of when they are (again) 

caught in one of their poor replies.

The never popular "oh I touched a nerve" nonsense.

As if anything anybody on the internet said to me could possibly make any difference.

10 hours ago, BillStime said:

triggered 

Like shooting fish in a barrel

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Judge denies request to sequester Chauvin jury:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2021/04/12/chauvin-trial-george-floyd-prosecution-nears-end

The judge in the case refused a request from the defense to immediately sequester the jury Monday, the morning after the killing of a Black man during a traffic stop triggered unrest in a suburb just outside Minneapolis.

The request came from Chauvin defense attorney Eric Nelson argued that the jurors could be influenced by the prospect of what might happen as a result of their verdict.

“Ultimately, your honor, the question becomes will the jury be competent to make a decision regardless of the potential outcome of their decision,” Nelson said.

Judge Peter Cahill said he will not sequester the jurors until next Monday, when he anticipates closing arguments will begin. He also denied a defense request to question jurors about what, if anything, they may have seen about unrest following Sunday’s police shooting of Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center.

In the wake of the shooting, hundreds of protesters broke into businesses and hurled rocks and other objects at police in Brooklyn Center. Officers fired gas and flash-bang grenades.

The judge in the Floyd case had previously asked jurors to avoid news during the trial.

Edited by T&C
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/10/2021 at 10:55 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Anyone actually hoping for an acquittal is rooting for  more riots and anarchy. 

I just hope the conviction and sentence is enough to stave off more chaos. 

1) guy was alive and restrained 

2) officer did what what he did on camera  for prolonged period

3) guy was then dead.

4) Autopsy concluded death by homicide.  

The only question I see to be proven is to what degree did he intend to kill him. 

@Motorin' interested in your Ben Shapiro comment because while he is bias AF he’s smart and has a legal background. I downloaded his podcast, perhap not the one you are referring to, my take was he was more irritated at the media for no reporting some of the cross examination points. 

apparently there is a different camera body cam angle where it shows him kneeling on the shoulder blade, coroner admitted to lethal blood level of fentanyl and same biomechanics are observed in OD deaths. And there’s was a clip of Floyd they tried to influence to sound like ‘I took to many drugs.... And these were are cross examination of prosecution witnesses.

My prime  take away from him is the defense attorney are finding technical ways to generate benefit of doubt and an impartial media should report that. Seemed more about the sensationalism of media.

But I’m sure to your point, if acquitted he’d have and I told you so tour, which would likely result in lots of self administration as you suggest.

I think several right wing commentators are guilty of what they are accusing the left leaning media of doing. They seem to be focusing exclusively on the defense's arguments and ignoring the plethora of expert witnesses the prosecution has used to counter. 

Which leads me to conclude they are rooting for an acquittal. They would get to preen about how stupid the lame stream media is, and when riots break out, they'll get to assume their favorite position as they stand in condemnation of the evil left wing mob. 

I don't buy for a second that any of them are just trying to be fair and objective, and just "calling it as they see it." You really have to twist your mind to the position  that it is legal and safe to kneel on someone's neck, let along for nearly 10 minutes, and that continuing to kneel on someone's neck after they go unresponsive and die is the fault of the person being kneeled on.

That's why I called it sadism. Both what Chauvin did, and the people who appear to be rooting for his acquittal. 

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Can you refresh my memory on that? Guilty? You think he is guilty?

No, I cannot.  

If you take a Tibs to Arthur Treacher’s Fish N Chips he eats for a day, likely spilling tartar sauce all over the place and making a general nuisance of himself.  

If you teach a Tibsy to fish, he eats for a lifetime/until he takes the hairdryer into the lake in an effort to be improve his time management skills.

Reminder:  Hook side goes in the water. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I think several right wing commentators are guilty of what they are accusing the left leaning media of doing. They seem to be focusing exclusively on the defense's arguments and ignoring the plethora of expert witnesses the prosecution has used to counter. 

Which leads me to conclude they are rooting for an acquittal. They would get to preen about how stupid the lame stream media is, and when riots break out, they'll get to assume their favorite position as they stand in condemnation of the evil left wing mob. 

I don't buy for a second that any of them are just trying to be fair and objective, and just "calling it as they see it." You really have to twist your mind to the position  that it is legal and safe to kneel on someone's neck, let along for nearly 10 minutes, and that continuing to kneel on someone's neck after they go unresponsive and die is the fault of the person being kneeled on.

That's why I called it sadism. Both what Chauvin did, and the people who appear to be rooting for his acquittal. 

Your point is true, I think that’s what they believe is their mission; “here is what they aren’t telling you” so at least in that case was presented as supplemental information additive to main stream reporting, I suppose. At least that one I listened to BS (lol) doesn’t masquerade as unbiased. I thing some others do pretend to be impartial when their clearly not and the main news outlets are biased but pretend to not be. 

Yes, anyone rooting for acquittal is 100% a sadist for a lot of reasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

No, I cannot.  

If you take a Tibs to Arthur Treacher’s Fish N Chips he eats for a day, likely spilling tartar sauce all over the place and making a general nuisance of himself.  

If you teach a Tibsy to fish, he eats for a lifetime/until he takes the hairdryer into the lake in an effort to be improve his time management skills.

Reminder:  Hook side goes in the water. 

What are you afraid of? Wow 

Mob mentality. Don't go against the mob! 

14 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

What are you afraid of? Wow 

Mob mentality. Don't go against the mob! 

The only thing I’m afraid of today is that you’re in the midst of a Transient Ischemic Attack. You seem confused and bewildered by the very reasonable approach I outlined back before you remembered to pretend to forget. 

Plus, I really think you’re the mob in this case.  

• Like (+1) 1