Derek Chauvin Trial

T&C

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

As Chef suggests I expect a guilty verdict the manslaughter charge.  Whether its voluntary or involuntary remains to be seen.  Not so sure about conviction on the other charges.   29 cites cause and effect. 

For me the prevailing piece of evidence is the "choke hold" and subsequent death.  While the defense can argue the hold is legal and included in the training officers receive the key factor is not the hold itself but the duration of the hold.  The video clearly supports this position.  I expect the prosecution will show that by any reasonable measure the 9 minute duration of the hold was excessive and much longer than necessary to subdue a suspect and also much longer than the referenced training would allow.  And by maintaining the hold for 9 minutes the officer failed to "protect" a suspect taken into his custody.

In my opinion and that of others that it’s not the duration of the hold but the fact that it is designed to subdue a suspect.  Floyd was definitely subdued but Chauvin was down there “giving him the business” (hey I may no longer follow the Bills but I still know their history real well) way beyond what was necessary. 

UH OH...

Minneapolis Police Chief Arradondo agrees that Derek Chauvin‘s knee appears to be on George Floyd’s shoulder blade in the close-up bodycam footage.

People in liberal cities might start considering heading to home depot and hurricane proofing your properties.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

UH OH...

Minneapolis Police Chief Arradondo agrees that Derek Chauvin‘s knee appears to be on George Floyd’s shoulder blade in the close-up bodycam footage.

People in liberal cities might start considering heading to home depot and hurricane proofing your properties.

Oh boy.  This is not good.  

21 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

UH OH...

Nice knowing you Minneapolis. It was a nice 150 year run.

2 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

UH OH...

He still should have gotten off of him when he was found to be pulseless.  And while he may not have been kneeling on his neck, you can still severely restrict a person's ability to breathe by kneeling on them and preventing their lungs from properly expanding. 

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

He still should have gotten off of him when he was found to be pulseless.  And while he may not have been kneeling on his neck, you can still severely restrict a person's ability to breathe by kneeling on them and preventing their lungs from properly expanding. 

Absolutely. He still had a hand (or knee 🙄) in Floyd’s death. This just made the jury’s job that much harder. 

19 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

AP had an interesting take on this..

https://apnews.com/article/dca11e4f78f8f30d18db7a14e8b17d39

"Chauvin had been certified to perform CPR, and Minneapolis Officer Nicole Mackenzie, who trains members of the force in medical care, testified Tuesday that department policy required him to start aid before paramedics arrived, if possible.

Officers kept restraining Floyd — with Chauvin kneeling on his neck, another kneeling on Floyd’s back and a third holding his feet — until the ambulance got there, even after he became unresponsive, according to testimony and video footage.

The officers also rebuffed offers of help from an off-duty Minneapolis firefighter who wanted to administer aid or tell officers how to do it."

The failure to administer, and denial of CPR after the loss of conciseness is Voluntary Manslaughter at the minimum. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Testimony in the trial of Derek Chauvin resumed Wednesday with the former officer’s defense team arguing that George Floyd saying, “I can’t breathe,” while police attempted to load him into the squad car was a form of resisting arrest.

Wow

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/07/derek-chauvin-trial/

They are just hoping theres one stupid racist in the jury i guess. 

5 hours ago, ALF said:

Expert testimony today left knee of Chauvin on Floyd's neck , right knee on his back , after seeing all angles of videos. 

I thought that was just a stupid argument to make, they showed both videos, and the first one looked aweful, lifeless Floyd, vomit on the sidewalk, but the lawyer coolly asked if the second video looked different. 

I was thinking the prosecution cloudless not have done better. 

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

LIVE: Chauvin Trial Day 9 – State’s Evidence Begins to Align with the Defense Narrative of Innocence

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/04/live-chauvin-trial-day-9-states-evidence-begins-to-align-with-the-defense-narrative-of-innocence/

Sure it does, George Floyd was dying of a drug overdose, and Chauvin was just providing medical assistance until the paramedics arrived.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:02 AM, Chef Jim said:

In my opinion and that of others that it’s not the duration of the hold but the fact that it is designed to subdue a suspect.  Floyd was definitely subdued but Chauvin was down there “giving him the business” (hey I may no longer follow the Bills but I still know their history real well) way beyond what was necessary. 

Chauvin continued to knee on his neck for almost 3 minutes after his fellow officer could not find a pulse. 

Given that revelation, murder 1 is in play for the premeditated choice not to remove pressure from his neck and administer CPR.

Edited by Motorin'

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Chauvin continued to knee on his neck for almost 3 minutes after his fellow officer could not find a pulse. 

Given that revelation, murder 1 is in play for the premeditated choice not to remove pressure from his neck and administer CPR.

It wasn't premeditated in that it was planned from the start.  I still say murder 2.

11 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Someone needs to look up the word premeditated.  Crime of passion in my book.  Manslaughter with Murder 3 the highest.  

Just now, Doc said:

It wasn't premeditated in that it was planned from the start.  I still say murder 2.

I heard Newt Gingrich of all people explain that premeditation does not have to be done days or even hours before hand. But the premeditated aspect could be conducted in the process, if there's enough time to recognize that the action will lead to death, and a choice is then made to continue with the action. 

So when Chauvin learns that Floyd has no pulse, his choice to continue kneeling on the neck is made knowing that it could very well end in his death. 

You could also make the case for Murder 2 or 3. And the difference really comes down to Chauvin's state of mind. 

His actions could very well be indicative of Murder 3, that he was mentally depraved... He allegedly threatened the off duty fire fighter who offered to provide CPR. I need to hear what he actually said and how he said it to see if he sounded out of his mind. 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Someone needs to look up the word premeditated.  Crime of passion in my book.  Manslaughter with Murder 3 the highest.  

See above 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I heard Newt Gingrich of all people explain that premeditation does not have to be done days or even hours before hand. But the premeditated aspect could be conducted in the process, if there's enough time to recognize that the action will lead to death, and a choice is then made to continue with the action. 

So when Chauvin learns that Floyd has no pulse, his choice to continue kneeling on the neck is made knowing that it could very well end in his death. 

You could also make the case for Murder 2 or 3. And the difference really comes down to Chauvin's state of mind.

It will be very hard to prove murder 1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1