Derek Chauvin Trial

T&C

14 minutes ago, T&C said:

Layman's question here but, why was Chauvin fired instead of being put on administrative leave with or without pay?

A PR move?  

And her are my thoughts on this.  Chauvin and Floyd had history and not a buddy buddy history.  I would imagine Chauvin used the knee to the neck maneuver (which he was trained as a way to restrain combative suspects) on Floyd to really "give it to him" and never intended him to die. Why on earth would he do that will all those people around to witness it?  So what does that make this?  Third degree?  Manslaughter?  Is there a difference?  

Edited by Chef Jim

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

A PR move?  

And her are my thoughts on this.  Chauvin and Floyd had history and not a buddy buddy history.  I would imagine Chauvin used the knee to the neck maneuver (which he was trained as a way to restrain combative suspects) on Floyd to really "give it to him" and never intended him to die. Why on earth would he do that will all those people around to witness it?  So what does that make this?  Third degree?  Manslaughter?  Is there a difference?  

I was just wondering why he was fired instead of being put on leave. PR could be I guess but the way I'm seeing this is that why fire someone if they haven't been convicted of anything? Maybe that is another lawsuit in the making, I don't know.

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

I was just wondering why he was fired instead of being put on leave. PR could be I guess but the way I'm seeing this is that why fire someone if they haven't been convicted of anything? Maybe that is another lawsuit in the making, I don't know.

If he's found not guilty (highly unlikely) I think he could very well have a lawsuit for wrongful termination?  

25 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

If he's found not guilty (highly unlikely) I think he could very well have a lawsuit for wrongful termination?  

Not talking about guilt... just want to know why he was fired instead of being put on some sort of leave.

43 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

16 minutes ago, T&C said:

Not talking about guilt... just want to know why he was fired instead of being put on some sort of leave.

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I was just responding to your point about a lawsuit in the making. 

Minny is ‘at will’ state. 

employer can fire anyone at any time without cause. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Thanks for this... that's all I was asking. I live in one of them myself.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

While that is accurate, that is not really applicable here.  Chauvin would be part of a union and would require just cause to be fired.  There is no doubt there was just cause to fire him, it is not dependent on a criminal conviction, and he would not have a legal gripe.  

That is all I know about labor law, so i don't anything further haha.  

Edited by Crayola64
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

While that is accurate, that is not really applicable here.  Chauvin would be part of a union and would require just cause to be fired.  There is no doubt there was just cause to fire him, it is not dependent on a criminal conviction, and he would not have a legal gripe.  

That is all I know about labor law, so i don't anything further haha.  

I think if you’re in a union in at will state, they can still fire you without cause. The consequence might be the union files a grievance against that action, but perhaps that conversation was held, and very quickly agreed no grievance would be filed. 

Good point in any case. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/30/2021 at 1:24 PM, BillStime said:

The guy is dead man - you call it what YOU want - you label it WHATEVER DEGREE makes you sleep better at night - but in my eyes - Floyd was murdered. 

All I've  heard so far os that Floyd had lethal levels of fantasy; in his blood. Either that's  suicide or nurder by his dealer.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

This trial will come down to medical experts. All the rest is a dog and pony show.

If America was still true to justice, I'd like to think you are right.

It's my hunch he will be convicted and sentenced hard based on the feelings and

the fear of antifa reprisals.

Though I agree he went way over the top, Chauvin has zero chance at justice.

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

This trial will come down to medical experts. All the rest is a dog and pony show.

Well, that veteran officers testimony was very damning. He was trustworthy and informative and made it clear that that’s not the way to treat a person in handcuffs 

18 minutes ago, Wacka said:

All I've  heard so far os that Floyd had lethal levels of fantasy; in his blood. Either that's  suicide or nurder by his dealer.

Basically, you and a few others on this board think that what the officer did is exactly what they should do. You guys want Nazis  harassing, killing and intimidating American citizens 

11 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

There is an appelate process. If the jury and judge completely disregard evidence that shows Chauvin didn't kill him, the conviction will be tossed.

The first autopsy should be enough to let Chauvin walk away a free man.

Edited by Beast

12 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Oh, he’s getting justice! 

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Well, that veteran officers testimony was very damning. He was trustworthy and informative and made it clear that that’s not the way to treat a person in handcuffs 

Did that officer say that Chauvin killed Floyd? Because, quite frankly, this isn't about officer misconduct. It's a Murder trial.

Edited by Beast

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Basically, you and a few others on this board think that what the officer did is exactly what they should do. You guys want Nazis  harassing, killing and intimidating American citizens 

Nazis? What does this have to do with Nazis? Geez people....everything isn't Nazis!