Jarran Reed to sign with Chiefs

23 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They just lost 38-9 in the Super Bowl and it could have been even worse then that...Jarren Reed was a bust in Seattle you realize he was part of a defense Josh lit up for 44? And where exactly where the Bills going to get the money for these transactions? They where right against the cap to begin with its easy to say hey let’s go sign a bunch of guys but when you see the money they signed for where where the Bills going to get it and they still have the draft and the post June 1st cuts 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/30/buffalo-bills-had-interest-kansas-city-chiefs-jarran-reed/

Looks like they would of found the money if they needed it

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I was replying to someone who was talking about the chiefs.  Please explain to me why I would talk about the Bills having literally zero healthy WRs in this post.

if I decide to give my opinion on a matter, which turns out to be defending a team other than the bills, must I also defend the Bills because this is a Bills message board?  I don’t understand. Can you help me understand this? 

Maybe I'm projecting on you points I'm seeing others make.

Seems like the consensus is that since the Bills didn't make any big FA splashes, and just retained their same guys form last year, we haven't improved and can not possibly get past the Chiefs.

Then I read your point about the Chiefs losing in the SB due to the state of their injured OL.  IMO, not nearly enough was made about the state of our WR corps for the championship game.  I'm not sure I've seen a situation like it, I mean every single one of our pass catchers was banged up.  And we're a heavy passing team.  It was an extreme and unusual situation.

I'm not going to assume that we're not potentially better that the chiefs- or anyone for that matter.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Maybe I'm projecting on you points I'm seeing others make.

Seems like the consensus is that since the Bills didn't make any big FA splashes, and just retained their same guys form last year, we haven't improved and can not possibly get past the Chiefs.

Then I read your point about the Chiefs losing in the SB due to the state of their injured OL.  IMO, not nearly enough was made about the state of our WR corps for the championship game.  I'm not sure I've seen a situation like it, I mean every single one of our pass catchers was banged up.  And we're a heavy passing team.  It was an extreme and unusual situation.

I'm not going to assume that we're not potentially better that the chiefs- or anyone for that matter.

understood.  How many of our WRs were injured when we played them in week 6?  We had 206 yards of total offense in that game.  

I agree.  We can potentially be the best team In football.  Football isn’t just won with talent.  Teams with less talent can beat teams with more talent with good

coaching and scheme.  In the AFCCG, I feel our coaching staff was the biggest reason we lost. It looked to me that they didn’t have any trust in our players.  The defensive scheme showed that. The decisions to kick FGs showed that imo. 

My main point in this thread has been that the chiefs identify where they have to improve and add talent to help them improve.  That has directly led to them winning a super bowl.  Our front office is taking a different approach.  An approach that may or may not lead to winning a super bowl.  Improving our run game and pass rush were identified by fans, media and analysts as areas where we needed to improve. To my eye, we have made few additions that can help in those areas of need.  I would’ve preferred that we addressed them.

• Agree 1

On 3/28/2021 at 5:20 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Chiefs are building the interior OL and DL. Bills have not improved these areas. Not good.

They're hoping development is the improvement. I just don't see it happening.

I'm not saying we needed to go out on a shopping spree like NE, but it does seem we were quiet in our most vulnerable positions. Addison and Hughes are 100% gone after this season. Is AJE and Obada going to be our starting edge?....

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm not saying we needed to go out on a shopping spree like NE, but it does seem we were quiet in our most vulnerable positions. Addison and Hughes are 100% gone after this season. Is AJE and Obada going to be our starting edge?....

Addison is 💯 gone after this season.

I’m not sure I’d agree with that sentiment regarding Jerry.  Let’s see how he plays this year before deciding his future.  He played well last year minus a 3-4 game stretch where he wasn’t keeping his gap integrity 

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They're going to add youth to the DL I believe this draft and next. Develop it. I think they want the veterans around to help develop. We're not drafting top 10 so these guys won't necessarily be ready week 1.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

So you do understand cutting Addison, Butler, and Star - would not have freed up enough to even sign Lawson right.

To free up another nearly 10 million on top of the 3 DL you got rid of means eliminating Milano, Mongo, and perhaps Williams as their combined salary for the year would barely exceed Tomlinson and Obada.

Then you would still need a guard and a LB and perhaps a RT if Williams goes.  So you are replacing 3 starting level players with low price back ups to balance out the cost.

So in the end were you willing to trade: Star, Addison, Butler, Milano, Mongo, and Williams for Lawson, Tomlinson, Obada, and 3 starting holes at RT, RG, and OLB?  I don’t think I would make that trade.

It is easy to say just restructure Diggs and Dawkins, but are you smart enough to understand why Beane is hesitant to do that?  He we go as we try to explain it again.  The CAP for next year is still a moving target.  Depending upon the final agreement they could cut anywhere from 0 - 35 million off from the final number because of the COVID loss - it will depend upon the final payment agreement for the 17th game.  If the CAP ends up at 190 million for next year after the adjustments - we are already tight against the CAP and not enough players signed.  If we restructure- we are pushing even more money into a year we are tight and we have multiple big contracts to begin to put into play (Josh and Tre’s 5th year options and their new deals).

So I love your thoughts - it just does not add up and makes it harder to keep the team together and compete in future years.  

The Cap is not something to be afraid of, but it is something to be mindful of.  If you decide this is the year to go all in and throw everything at it - then next year you start to lose significant talent and people like you get all upset because we do not have a plan.  Beane has a plan and is moving ahead to keep what is a greatly talented team together and to make continued improvements as they work their way forward.

Addison post June 1st -8.2 mil 

Butler -6.8mil 

Star- 4.7 mil 

Lawson -11mil cap hit 

Tomlinson - 6 Mil cap hit 

Obada - 2 Mil cap hit 

I went over all these players deals so I know what I'm taking about.

Lawson right now is counting 14+ mil  cap hit for the Jets but we could of structured it to count 11 mil cap hit for the Bills

Tomlinson cap hit is at 6mil for 2021 that's very fair deal for Vikings. 

Obada signed a 1yr deal worth 2.15mil it's not up on Spotrac yet but it's gonna count at most the whole 2.15mil if not less. 

Next season with Allen and Edmunds our cap is at 186 mil . But Star is costing us 4.5mil and Addison 2mil so essentially were at 180 as of now for 2022 . Klien can be cut and he saves 5.2mil as well as Morse at 8 that brings us down to 167mil . Now that would go up because we have Lawson and Tomlinson counting for another 20mil combined so that would bring us up to 188mil. 

So based on my projections we are under the cap with flexibility to restructure numerous amounts of deals if the cap doesn't go up. Plus we still have money left over from this season that can be rolled over. So yes we could of signed all our guys bk and got Lawson & Tomlinson and everyone else we signed as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

It's odd to even have that many guys available . Edge players usually get tagged. U forgot to mention Judon & Watt also. Some of these guys have elite capabilities Lawson was 4 th in the NFL in QB hits and hurries and he's on a bad team. How often did he get a chance to tee off on the opposing QBs?

Judon didn't fit the scheme and Watt in my opinion got vastly overpaid and isn't worth anywhere close to what he got. Usually good edge players hit free agency and get massively overpaid (as is the case with most positions) but the great ones get tagged. I just didn't see an Edge player that it would have made sense to overpay. I don't see Lawson or any other good edge player being a difference maker on this team to the point where that player would be the last piece needed and being that much better than what the Bills currently have. I think if there was an elite talent available via trade the Bills would have been in on it like they were with Diggs. 

But there simply wasn't that trade available for the Bills and they shifted focus to retaining their talent and going towards the draft to add the pieces needed.

3 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Addison post June 1st -8.2 mil 

Butler -6.8mil 

Star- 4.7 mil 

Lawson -11mil cap hit 

Tomlinson - 6 Mil cap hit 

Obada - 2 Mil cap hit 

I went over all these players deals so I know what I'm taking about.

Lawson right now is counting 14+ mil  cap hit for the Jets but we could of structured it to count 11 mil cap hit for the Bills

Tomlinson cap hit is at 6mil for 2021 that's very fair deal for Vikings. 

Obada signed a 1yr deal worth 2.15mil it's not up on Spotrac yet but it's gonna count at most the whole 2.15mil if not less. 

Next season with Allen and Edmunds our cap is at 186 mil . But Star is costing us 4.5mil and Addison 2mil so essentially were at 180 as of now for 2022 . Klien can be cut and he saves 5.2mil as well as Morse at 8 that brings us down to 167mil . Now that would go up because we have Lawson and Tomlinson counting for another 20mil combined so that would bring us up to 188mil. 

So based on my projections we are under the cap with flexibility to restructure numerous amounts of deals if the cap doesn't go up. Plus we still have money left over from this season that can be rolled over. So yes we could of signed all our guys bk and got Lawson & Tomlinson and everyone else we signed as well. 

This team could still add Daquan Jones who is an NT and could come cheaper than Tomlinson and be about as effective. 

Edited by billsfan89

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Judon didn't fit the scheme and Watt in my opinion got vastly overpaid and isn't worth anywhere close to what he got. Usually good edge players hit free agency and get massively overpaid (as is the case with most positions) but the great ones get tagged. I just didn't see an Edge player that it would have made sense to overpay. I don't see Lawson or any other good edge player being a difference maker on this team to the point where that player would be the last piece needed and being that much better than what the Bills currently have. I think if there was an elite talent available via trade the Bills would have been in on it like they were with Diggs. 

But there simply wasn't that trade available for the Bills and they shifted focus to retaining their talent and going towards the draft to add the pieces needed.

I assume Khalil Mack’s salary wouldn’t fit in their current cap situation. But I would have given 30 and a 2nd next year for him.

Reed is not going to stop anyone from punching the Rat in the face. You do that, and as we all saw, the meltdown begins. Thuney? Yeah, he may help, but he won't matter either if the mindset on our D is changed.

• Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

I assume Khalil Mack’s salary wouldn’t fit in their current cap situation. But I would have given 30 and a 2nd next year for him.

Mack simply isn't going to work cap wise, he also redid his deal to give the Bears some breathing room, so I doubt they wanted to trade him. It is unfortunate that there just wasn't a trade out there for a pass rusher like there was for Diggs. I would gladly have given up pick 30 among other selections to get a top pass rusher. 

23 minutes ago, Rico said:

Reed is not going to stop anyone from punching the Rat in the face. You do that, and as we all saw, the meltdown begins. Thuney? Yeah, he may help, but he won't matter either if the mindset on our D is changed.

Who is the guy that’s going to change it? 

Dunlap’s arrival in Seattle lead to a revamped D. The Bills need a similar addition before the season begins. 

7 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Who is the guy that’s going to change it? 

Dunlap’s arrival in Seattle lead to a revamped D. The Bills need a similar addition before the season begins. 

All starts with McD.

On 3/29/2021 at 12:54 PM, BillsFan1988 said:

First off I didn't mention Reed at all so I don't know remarking towards . But since u brought him up he's not bust he has 16.5 sks the last 2 yrs combined and he should flourish next to Jones & Clark there gonna be tough to handle. 

Secondly we could of gotten the money by making cuts to players that don't deserve the money there getting Addison and Butler would of freed up 13mil combined Instead 3plus they restructured for that 10 mil could of landed us Carl Lawson instead . Lawson is a huge upgrade over Addison and we shouldn't be paying Butler 5mil to be a bkup DT . We could of signed a vet for 2 mil instead . I like the Obada signing we could of still gotten him . Plus there's more money we could free up by restructuring Dawkins and Diggs . You seriously buying that total bullcrap about the cap it's a blanking joke. Tomlinson got 2yrs 22 mil from the Vikings u think he wouldn't rather be in Buffalo? Cut Star u got half his money right there. 

The cap can be turned and twisted to do what u please with it. We could of rebuilt this DLine I don't want to hear the excuses. Btw its not selling your future either because the cap is gonna go up drastically in the coming yrs. Please don't give me that mess that these players won't sign with Buffalo because they will Lawson and Tomlinson went to bad teams . 

Talk about where's the money gonna come from what a jk the money is tied up in this putrid Dline . We have over 40 mil in spending going to the line in 21 and in 20 we spent over 50. These guys are part of the reason we didn't win a title this yr but most of u got your heads to up your u know what not seeing the big picture. 

Here's what my new line would of looked like. 

RE - Hughes, Obada, Epenesa

DT1 - Tomlinson, Phillips

DT3 - Oliver, Zimmer, Obada

LE- Lawson , Epenesa, Johnson

Would u trade Addison, Butler and Star for Lawson, Tomlinson & Obada ?  Because I know I would . 

Don’t deserve the money good luck with taking money off players cause you feel he didn’t deserve his contract this isn’t college where you can pull a scholarship and give it to someone else little things like agents and lawyers and the CBA get in the way of these things and yes he is a major bust Seattle’s  defense was atrocious and he was a major part of it 

On 3/29/2021 at 11:58 PM, NewEra said:

You’re exaggerating.  I disagree with pretty much everything you say here.

they lost 38-9 because they were starting 5 backup OL in the super bowl.  Losing fisher in the AFCCG wrecked a great patchwork job the chiefs had going on.  Their OL is going to be much better this season because they’ll actually have starters playing.  

seattles D stunk in the first half of the year but they straightened it out and played solid after our game.  I believe they had the lowest PPG against in the league after we blew them out.  Reed isn’t the reason that they were bad to start the year.  He’s a good player.  

the bills could have restructured dawkins, Diggs and poyer to get the money to sign a pass rusher.  They could’ve made room.   

If they didn’t want to go all in and mortgage the future by restructuring everyone this year, Beane could’ve cut Addison and not signed Sanders.  That would’ve gotten us 10 mill.  Then restructure one player and draft a WR in rd 1, 2 or 3.  There will be some good options that might not be as good as Sanders, yet, but they could help our offense offset the loss of Brown.  I feel that would’ve been our best option tbh.  

He also could have cut Addison and and signed reddick.  McD could’ve got pressure in creative ways with him in the fold.  

The point is, KC realizes their weakness and attacks them head on, fixing them. They needed a pass rusher 2 years ago and get their man in Frank Clark. Then they win the SB. We just stay the course with what we have and make minor moves. I’m not saying what Beane is doing is wrong.....it might very well win us a super bowl. There may still be some great additions in free agency.  I believe in Beane.  I just would’ve liked to see him add a better pass rusher in a loaded FA class, than Obada (who I have high hopes for).  Especially when looking at the DE class and that it probably won’t yield us an instant impact pass rusher.

Glad you disagree cause KC has zero depth like none and if a top end starter goes down on their lines they have no one behind them to keep the likes of Mr Bosa or Mr Miller from wreaking havoc on their 500 million dollar investment 

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Glad you disagree cause KC has zero depth like none and if a top end starter goes down on their lines they have no one behind them to keep the likes of Mr Bosa or Mr Miller from wreaking havoc on their 500 million dollar investment 

Yeah, they have Remmers returning, and he was a backup to start last season, and their OT depth is non-existent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Don’t deserve the money good luck with taking money off players cause you feel he didn’t deserve his contract this isn’t college where you can pull a scholarship and give it to someone else little things like agents and lawyers and the CBA get in the way of these things and yes he is a major bust Seattle’s  defense was atrocious and he was a major part of it 

Strange.  I didn’t know the season started this week.  I though they still had 5a+ months til the season started. Hey we get moving!

2 of their current backups started the majority of last season and played very well.  Another one of their “backups” is a former pro bowler.  A fourth backup decided to opt out last season, opted out last season to get his body healthy.  Lucas Niang is a huge man with starters potential

i would go so far as to say their backups are as good, if not better than ours.  Not to mention that they still have 5 months to add players via free agency and in the draft

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Errnnnt! Lol. There's something called the salary cap in the NFL have u heard about it ? U can add and drop players as u please. This ain't NBA OR MLB where the entire contract is gauranteed. 

44 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

K.C also tore our azz up twice last yr. Go read a book. I got one for u it's called NFL for dummies , lol. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

13 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Errnnnt! Lol. There's something called the salary cap in the NFL have u heard about it ? U can add and drop players as u please. This ain't NBA OR MLB where the entire contract is gauranteed. 

K.C also tore our azz up twice last yr. Go read a book. I got one for u it's called NFL for dummies , lol. 

Oh wow you used azz you’re so hip and trendy you mean the same KC that lost 38-9 in the Super Bowl and could have had 50 laid on them why don’t you try the sequel Winning the Super Bowl for Dummies brought to you by Tom Brady he seemed to have no problem with Patrick Mahomes now did he? 

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

Strange.  I didn’t know the season started this week.  I though they still had 5a+ months til the season started. Hey we get moving!

2 of their current backups started the majority of last season and played very well.  Another one of their “backups” is a former pro bowler.  A fourth backup decided to opt out last season, opted out last season to get his body healthy.  Lucas Niang is a huge man with starters potential

i would go so far as to say their backups are as good, if not better than ours.  Not to mention that they still have 5 months to add players via free agency and in the draft

Oh really? Could have fooled me after what Shaq Barrett and crew did that line in the Super Bowl 

17 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Oh wow you used azz you’re so hip and trendy you mean the same KC that lost 38-9 in the Super Bowl and could have had 50 laid on them why don’t you try the sequel Winning the Super Bowl for Dummies brought to you by Tom Brady he seemed to have no problem with Patrick Mahomes now did he? 

Oh really? Could have fooled me after what Shaq Barrett and crew did that line in the Super Bowl 

Their entire OL was hurt or opted out last year.  Their OL is now better.  If 4-5 OL get hurt and aren’t playing in the super bowl, they might lose......just like any team that is playing with 4-5 backup OL. If you don’t understand this notion, I don’t know what to tell ya. 

what would you expect them to do?  Are you saying that the chiefs are going to suck now?  What’s your point?  That they don’t have great starters AND backups along the OL?

• Agree 1