Jarran Reed to sign with Chiefs

17 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

This is basically the same team that could not get it done. Lets see what is different this time. More question marks!

NE will be playing with a pretty good OL, 2 TE's, and a running QB. Will we be able to stop their running game ?

4 hours ago, billykay said:

NE will be playing with a pretty good OL, 2 TE's, and a running QB. Will we be able to stop their running game ?

They need a QB first. On paper the Pats moves look good, but time will tell.

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fair point. Wouldn't be surprised to see us upgrading on speed at CB and maybe big nickel in the draft this year.

That is what I am thinking. Also another LB and DE. The DE could be a surprise pick. The Bills probably have their eyes on several players and based on availability they may make a move up to get him.

Where have the Bills added vs last year? As of now we have a better back up qb and 3rd string rb. Most of the pick ups were replacing guys - sanders for brown, Efe for Murphy and Jefferson. Hollister for Kroft and Smith. Haack for Bojo. Powell possibly for a Robert’s. No we are not deemed. But we are relying on the same guys getting better vs adding pieces. 
Next year when we lose in the playoffs the narrative will be that this is part of the plan. We knew that we had no cap so could not improve yada yada excuse excuse. There were options and moves to be made. Beane made the decision to stand pat at or make minimal changes at certain spots. They are betting on an even more explosive offense and a bend but don’t break defense. I hope it works but expect a very similar team as last year. Which may be good enough. 

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks Zero for giving an honest assessment of their OL.

I'm sure the Chief are going to the draft and will be adding in the end of FA.

I got a question.  Is there any vet Guards right now on the Chief that have Center experience?

I don't see any but it seems a decent option if they do to start the season.

As a Bills fan my hope is that it takes a while for this almost completely new line to learn to work together.

As a Chiefs fan I'm sure once the 5 are determined you hope the C and T's stay healthy cuz there isn't a lot of depth there.

Like I said before when it comes to who has improved or not concerning the Bills/Chiefs I will wait till they final 53.

In my write up for KC....when Hapless asked about the KC line...I had put center as a question mark.....I should have put Nick Aligretti there....7th round C out of Illinois a couple years ago....started at G for KC here and there last season, including in the SB.  As things stand at this moment, he'd probalby be the Center.  So there is that.  i mentioned before that they might consider Thuney at C...but I think that would only happen as a last resort type situation.  KC needs to add more OL in FA and in the draft.  

I will not be surprised if KC trades up in round 1 to go after an OT they like.  I've even heard a rumor that if somehow Penei Sewell gets to 10...(wich some recent mocks now have since QB's are all going so high)  that KC might take a big swing and go up to get him.  Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

But....I want to make clear again...KC has UNFILLED HOLES on the line...and until that problem is solved....we have..........a ...uh...problem.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

In my write up for KC....when Hapless asked about the KC line...I had put center as a question mark.....I should have put Nick Aligretti there....7th round C out of Illinois a couple years ago....started at G for KC here and there last season, including in the SB.  As things stand at this moment, he'd probalby be the Center.  So there is that.  i mentioned before that they might consider Thuney at C...but I think that would only happen as a last resort type situation.  KC needs to add more OL in FA and in the draft.  

I will not be surprised if KC trades up in round 1 to go after an OT they like.  I've even heard a rumor that if somehow Penei Sewell gets to 10...(wich some recent mocks now have since QB's are all going so high)  that KC might take a big swing and go up to get him.  Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

But....I want to make clear again...KC has UNFILLED HOLES on the line...and until that problem is solved....we have..........a ...uh...problem.

Thanks for the info about Aligretti.  I figured they have to have someone with previous Center experience.

If he doesn't start they at least got some depth at C.

I know Austin Reiter want to finally make some $ but do you see a way that he re-signs with the Chiefs?

On 3/28/2021 at 7:12 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Ruthless acquisition of talent, cap be damned. Chiefs are in Super Bowl or bust mode. Are the Bills? It doesn't seem like it. I don't think the Chiefs can afford him any more than the Bills could have, and he probably would have helped the Bills more.

Bean better be cooking something BIG on the down low 

On 3/28/2021 at 7:13 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Bills are going to need some sort of running game to stop teams from pinning their ears back and rushing Josh.

You better believe it. We better get better at running back I can’t take to many more plays getting blown up on 3-1 over N over 

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks for the info about Aligretti.  I figured they have to have someone with previous Center experience.

If he doesn't start they at least got some depth at C.

I know Austin Reiter want to finally make some $ but do you see a way that he re-signs with the Chiefs?

They've been talking.  Frankly, I hope it doesn't work out.  Austin Reiter sucks....he's adequate if the guys around him are good..but I'd rather move on.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 97bills said:

You better believe it. We better get better at running back I can’t take to many more plays getting blown up on 3-1 over N over 

It just seems to me the easiest way to improve the offensive weapons.

I'm fairly confident that the offense will work on run blocking during camp much more than they did last year too.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

They also got bullied up the middle is was a complete domination. That also explains the reason they signed Thuney for big money. 

The Chiefs are doing what they did in 2018 after losing to the Pats in the playoffs they pretty much blew up there Dline outside of Jones now there doing they exact thing with there Oline. Chiefs don't wait around for something to happen they got out and fix there problems. I believe there line will be much better in 2021 season. 

The Bills on the other hand have leaned towards continuity and building depth let's see if this works out for us. I would rather of had us blow up our Dline outside of a few guys like Oliver, Epenesa and Phillips. Let's face it this Dline we have is not Super bowl caliber I just wish McBeane could of seen it this way. This yr was the best yr I ever seen for Dlineman in free agency next yr there won't be half the guys available. 

I didn’t really see too many great Dline players in free agency this year. There were some good ones but I didn’t really see any game changers that switched teams. Shaq Barrett and Leonard Williams resigned with their teams. 

Carl Lawson and Dupree were good players but not elite difference makers. Trey Hendrickson had a breakout year but wasn’t really doing much until a contract year. The rest of the market weren’t really guys I would break the bank for. Clowny and DaQuan Jones are still players out on the market that can play a role and be had much cheaper.

I suspect McBeane will go out on the market for one more vet to add to the mix and draft an Edge at pick 30. There just wasn’t a free agent or trade target that in my opinion made sense.

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They just lost 38-9 in the Super Bowl and it could have been even worse then that...Jarren Reed was a bust in Seattle you realize he was part of a defense Josh lit up for 44? And where exactly where the Bills going to get the money for these transactions? They where right against the cap to begin with its easy to say hey let’s go sign a bunch of guys but when you see the money they signed for where where the Bills going to get it and they still have the draft and the post June 1st cuts 

You’re exaggerating.  I disagree with pretty much everything you say here.

they lost 38-9 because they were starting 5 backup OL in the super bowl.  Losing fisher in the AFCCG wrecked a great patchwork job the chiefs had going on.  Their OL is going to be much better this season because they’ll actually have starters playing.  

seattles D stunk in the first half of the year but they straightened it out and played solid after our game.  I believe they had the lowest PPG against in the league after we blew them out.  Reed isn’t the reason that they were bad to start the year.  He’s a good player.  

the bills could have restructured dawkins, Diggs and poyer to get the money to sign a pass rusher.  They could’ve made room.   

If they didn’t want to go all in and mortgage the future by restructuring everyone this year, Beane could’ve cut Addison and not signed Sanders.  That would’ve gotten us 10 mill.  Then restructure one player and draft a WR in rd 1, 2 or 3.  There will be some good options that might not be as good as Sanders, yet, but they could help our offense offset the loss of Brown.  I feel that would’ve been our best option tbh.  

He also could have cut Addison and and signed reddick.  McD could’ve got pressure in creative ways with him in the fold.  

The point is, KC realizes their weakness and attacks them head on, fixing them. They needed a pass rusher 2 years ago and get their man in Frank Clark. Then they win the SB. We just stay the course with what we have and make minor moves. I’m not saying what Beane is doing is wrong.....it might very well win us a super bowl. There may still be some great additions in free agency.  I believe in Beane.  I just would’ve liked to see him add a better pass rusher in a loaded FA class, than Obada (who I have high hopes for).  Especially when looking at the DE class and that it probably won’t yield us an instant impact pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I didn’t really see too many great Dline players in free agency this year. There were some good ones but I didn’t really see any game changers that switched teams. Shaq Barrett and Leonard Williams resigned with their teams. 

Carl Lawson and Dupree were good players but not elite difference makers. Trey Hendrickson had a breakout year but wasn’t really doing much until a contract year. The rest of the market weren’t really guys I would break the bank for. Clowny and DaQuan Jones are still players out on the market that can play a role and be had much cheaper.

I suspect McBeane will go out on the market for one more vet to add to the mix and draft an Edge at pick 30. There just wasn’t a free agent or trade target that in my opinion made sense.

It's odd to even have that many guys available . Edge players usually get tagged. U forgot to mention Judon & Watt also. Some of these guys have elite capabilities Lawson was 4 th in the NFL in QB hits and hurries and he's on a bad team. How often did he get a chance to tee off on the opposing QBs?

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

they lost 38-9 because they were starting 5 backup OL in the super bowl.  Losing fisher in the AFCCG wrecked a great patchwork job the chiefs had going on.  Their OL is going to be much better this season because they’ll actually have starters playing.  

seattles D stunk in the first half of the year but they straightened it out and played solid after our game.  I believe they had the lowest PPG against in the league after we blew them out.  Reed isn’t the reason that they were bad to start the year.  He’s a good player.  

the bills could have restructured dawkins, Diggs and poyer to get the money to sign a pass rusher.  They could’ve made room.   

If they didn’t want to go all in and mortgage the future by restructuring everyone this year, Beane could’ve cut Addison and not signed Sanders.  That would’ve gotten us 10 mill.  Then restructure one player and draft a WR in rd 1, 2 or 3.  There will be some good options that might not be as good as Sanders, yet, but they could help our offense offset the loss of Brown.  I feel that would’ve been our best option tbh.  

He also could have cut Addison and and signed reddick.  McD could’ve got pressure in creative ways with him in the fold.  

The point is, KC realizes their weakness and attacks them head on, fixing them. They needed a pass rusher 2 years ago and get their man in Frank Clark. Then they win the SB. We just stay the course with what we have and make minor moves. I’m not saying what Beane is doing is wrong.....it might very well win us a super bowl. There may still be some great additions in free agency.  I believe in Beane.  I just would’ve liked to see him add a better pass rusher in a loaded FA class, than Obada (who I have high hopes for).  Especially when looking at the DE class and that it probably won’t yield us an instant impact pass rusher.

We could signed Obada and Lawson. Obada only got 2 mil.

16 hours ago, The Governor said:

The Panthers were huge favorites in that game. Denver had quite possibly the worst offense to ever play in a SB that year. That was when Manning could only throw the ball about 10 yards downfield and it took an hour to get there.

The Panthers looked like world beaters in those first 2 playoff games. I remember thinking those were the most dominating victories I’d ever seen.

It didn’t end well.

Yea but that was not on the defense. Denver scored 24 points. 7 of which came on a defensive score and another 3 of which after a special teams return inside the 10. Carolina held the actual Denver offense to essentially 14 points and forced 3 turnovers. To try and put that Superbowl loss on the Carolina D is the definition of reaching. The oline was a disaster and Newton lost his composure.

20 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Here's what my new line would of looked like. 

RE - Hughes, Obada, Epenesa

DT1 - Tomlinson, Phillips

DT3 - Oliver, Zimmer, Obada

LE- Lawson , Epenesa, Johnson

Would u trade Addison, Butler and Star for Lawson, Tomlinson & Obada ?  Because I know I would . 

So you do understand cutting Addison, Butler, and Star - would not have freed up enough to even sign Lawson right.

To free up another nearly 10 million on top of the 3 DL you got rid of means eliminating Milano, Mongo, and perhaps Williams as their combined salary for the year would barely exceed Tomlinson and Obada.

Then you would still need a guard and a LB and perhaps a RT if Williams goes.  So you are replacing 3 starting level players with low price back ups to balance out the cost.

So in the end were you willing to trade: Star, Addison, Butler, Milano, Mongo, and Williams for Lawson, Tomlinson, Obada, and 3 starting holes at RT, RG, and OLB?  I don’t think I would make that trade.

It is easy to say just restructure Diggs and Dawkins, but are you smart enough to understand why Beane is hesitant to do that?  He we go as we try to explain it again.  The CAP for next year is still a moving target.  Depending upon the final agreement they could cut anywhere from 0 - 35 million off from the final number because of the COVID loss - it will depend upon the final payment agreement for the 17th game.  If the CAP ends up at 190 million for next year after the adjustments - we are already tight against the CAP and not enough players signed.  If we restructure- we are pushing even more money into a year we are tight and we have multiple big contracts to begin to put into play (Josh and Tre’s 5th year options and their new deals).

So I love your thoughts - it just does not add up and makes it harder to keep the team together and compete in future years.  

The Cap is not something to be afraid of, but it is something to be mindful of.  If you decide this is the year to go all in and throw everything at it - then next year you start to lose significant talent and people like you get all upset because we do not have a plan.  Beane has a plan and is moving ahead to keep what is a greatly talented team together and to make continued improvements as they work their way forward.

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Their WRs were trash too.... 

Yea it's a conservative approach for sure.... can't say I'm surprised though. McBeane are conservative by nature.... 

Beane has made bold moves left and right ever since he arrived. In what way is he conservative?

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

I love how we make excuses for why the Chiefs lost, but the Bills are just the same team that lost in the AFCCG- and that is their ceiling as they have made no improvments...  Nevermind the fact that they played that game with literally ZERO healthy WR's...

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I love how we make excuses for why the Chiefs lost, but the Bills are just the same team that lost in the AFCCG- and that is their ceiling as they have made no improvments...  Nevermind the fact that they played that game with literally ZERO healthy WR's...

I was replying to someone who was talking about the chiefs.  Please explain to me why I would talk about the Bills having literally zero healthy WRs in this post.

if I decide to give my opinion on a matter, which turns out to be defending a team other than the bills, must I also defend the Bills because this is a Bills message board?  I don’t understand. Can you help me understand this? 

• Agree 3