Jarran Reed to sign with Chiefs

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

KC just lost their starting LT and RT. In exchange they got a guard and a DT. They aren't "really going for it." Their moves at best amount to them treading water too. I think the Bills can beat them right now if Allen plays better and we have a better defensive game plan. Yeah pass rush would have helped us beat them, but so would a game plan that doesn't leave Kelce wide open within half a second. Jarran Reed wouldn't have made a difference in the AFC Championship last year. Neither would any pass rusher we could have conceivably signed this offseason. We need to figure out how to cover TEs and add some speed on offense in the draft.

The Chiefs had talks recently with Russell Okung I guess there just waiting for him to be 100% healthy before they sign him . There's also the draft were there's over 20 Olineman projected to go in top 3rds .  Andy Reid has a plan I'm thinking when it's all said and done there weakness last season will be a strength this coming yr. 

The Bills and Chiefs have 2 different philosophies of building as KC leans more towards the top heavy approach and the Bills like to build there team with depth in mind. The problem with the way we build is when u get in deep playoffs the team across from u like the Chiefs will beat u with more talented players like we seen last season. Building for depth will get u a ton of victories in regular season but won't get u where you want to be the Superbowl unless u have some difference making talent . 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Chiefs are building the interior OL and DL. Bills have not improved these areas. Not good.

They're hoping development is the improvement. I just don't see it happening.

He’s a first round bust that’s why he’s gone no loss at all he barely cracks PFFs top 90 

Just now, BillsFan1988 said:

The Chiefs had talks recently with Russell Okung I guess there just waiting for him to be 100% healthy before they sign him . There's also the draft were there's over 20 Olineman projected to go in top 3rds .  Andy Reid has a plan I'm thinking when it's all said and done there weakness last season will be a strength this coming yr. 

The Bills and Chiefs have 2 different philosophies of building as KC leans more towards the top heavy approach and the Bills like to build there team with depth in mind. The problem with the way we build is when u get in deep playoffs the team across from u like the Chiefs will beat u with more talented players like we seen last season. Building for depth will get u a ton of victories in regular season but won't get u where you want to be the Superbowl unless u have some difference making talent . 

Yeh as we saw what happened in the super bowl when their two starters got hurt at tackle and they had no one behind them they where blown out 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, The Governor said:

I guess I would just feel a lot better if McD handed over those duties to a “proven” coordinator and scheme, and I hope it happens sooner than later or I fear we’ll all be having these same discussions next offseason.

Err... he has a proven coordinator and scheme. 

7 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Looks like making it to the AFC Championship game is the best we will do again.  Never gonna learn geeeezzzzz.

Talk about "never gonna learn" ...

Thinking you've identified our team's ceiling that year ... in March ... is a "geeeezzzzz" indeed.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

good question.  The following are just my own thoughts on what they will do.

they tried to get Trent Williams and missed.

I think they would love to trade for Orlando Brown, but Baltimore doesn’t want to move him and if they did, probably not to KC.

a couple years ago the Eagles took OT Andy Dillard in the first round.  He has been supplanted by that huge rugby player the Eagles got.  I figure KC might trade for him.

KC may yet sign a a journeyman.  There are many out there still. (Not ideal)

KC may sign journeyman AND draft one high.  Deep OT draft.  We will see how it shakes out.  Wouldn’t surprise me if KC went up to get one.

same thing at Center.  It’s very up in the air (not good)

I think left tackle is almost certainly the pick at #31. It is the deepest tackle class in years, seriously, if there is a year to end up needing two tackles this is not a bad one to pick. Of course it would be less than idea to have rookies starting at both tackle spots, but if the Chiefs were in this position last offseason I think it would have been more difficult for them because last year I had the 4 obvious first round tackle who were all going to go early and then 3 second round tackles - two of whom Austin Jackson and the now seemingly finished Isaiah Wilson - were also off the board before KC picked. I have three first round tackles this year who will all be gone, plus a borderline guy who will be gone, but I then have 7 tackles with round two grades. Jalen Mayfield or Liam Eichenburg at #31 would be really solid picks and I think at least one of them will be there. 

If they picked up Russell Okung on a cheap deal, plus drafted Mayfield, and then got Lucas Niang back from his opt out... suddenly that tackle group looks serviceable even if nobody would mistake it for the best in the league. Nobody would ever mistake Fisher as the best in the league either. 

4 hours ago, The Governor said:

I guess I would just feel a lot better if McD handed over those duties to a “proven” coordinator and scheme, and I hope it happens sooner than later or I fear we’ll all be having these same discussions next offseason.

They don't have to. This already is a proven coordinator and scheme.

2018:  defense 2nd in yards allowed, 18th in points allowed

2019:  defense 3rd in yards allowed, 2nd in points allowed

2020:  the D certainly wasn't great, particularly at the beginning of the year. (In the last ten games, if their per game stats on points were pro-rated out to 16 games, they'd have been 8th in yards allowed per game and 5th in points allowed per game)

The D certainly wasn't great this year, but in the second half of the year they absolutely came around and started playing much better.

And I don't doubt we'll be having the same discussion next year. Some people were doubting this D even in 2019.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good post.  That does sum it up, though I'd call it 3 needs: 1) improve pressure on QB 2) improve run game (which I think means OL first and foremost) 3) speed. 

Whilst drooling over KC's "power moves", folks should keep in mind that KC has serious questionmarks at two of the key positions for the 5 who protect The Franchise. 

I'm not saying they won't sort it out later in FA, or through a trade or through the draft - but the point is at this point (as Zerovoltz and I have been discussing) they have two serious gaps there.

I guess my point is, perhaps we should wait through the rest of FA and the draft before freaking out "OMG KC is making power moves and we're treading water".  KC has made some improvements, but they've also got some serious ??s.

Perfect 3 addition. I agree 💯 

8 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I love this team, but I am just calling it how I see it. Some of us view things through a different lens, but I know what I saw during the Chiefs and the "Colts" Game. Sure, we are going to score a ton of points during the regular season, but teams are improving and on to us now. Not only do we need DE help, we also need secondary help, LB help and of course a running game and or scheme changes.

Who got better?  KC had a huge need at tackle and center.  They have missed out on tackle and center and way overpaid for a guard.  Guard was a position they already had depth at they signed 2 more (one being a guy out of football for 2+ years that was paid more than both of most teams starting guards).  

Now they sign a DT from one of the worst defenses in the NFL.  Will he be better on KC - yeah, but is he a difference maker - no I doubt it.  Plus if it move Chris Jones from the inside out on passing downs - I think their pass rush got worse.

The Chiefs to me are strong down the very center (minus center), but have gotten significantly weaker at the edges and Overall I think they have downgraded themselves at this point.

The Bucs (as they should brought everyone back - so they are the same minus any age concerns.  The Bills are the same way - address little flaws, but did not lose any pieces.

The Colts moved to Wentz - I am not sure that was an upgrade.  Baltimore’s defense has taken a major set of hits.  Miami has not improved - although the draft should help them.  NE has improved a few weapons, but until they settle on a QB - they still are not even as good as Miami.

Right now to me a few bad teams got better and most top teams got worse.  The Bills and Bucs stayed essentially the same.  What will be interesting to me is that the Chargers seemed poised to be better - especially with a new HC.  They will challenge KC and could give them some fits.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nelius said:

Didn't the Teller trade somehow get us Diggs? Google is telling me that one of the picks was later flipped for Diggs so yes. Got to break some eggs to make some better eggs or something.

Your fuzzy math doesn’t add up.  Are you trying to say that without trading Teller, the Diggs trade would not have happened?

5 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I hope Okung doesn't go to the Chiefs simply because he's one of the best follows on Twitter and I really don't want to have to root against him.  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, The Governor said:

Are you talking about the offense, defense, or both?

Scheme was my initial worry when we hired McD. I followed all of those Panthers teams when I lived there. The scheme is “soft.” Not only is the scheme soft, but this is the softest version of his traditionally soft defenses. I know deep down that it’s never going to be good enough. Then we bring in another guy in Frazier that’s always been known to get absolutely torched in any game that mattered throughout his long career.

I just can’t shake this feeling that I have about this defense. I’m sure they’re really nice guys but this scheme worries the hell out of me. Even if we get the perfect personnel, it still just won’t be good enough unless we score 45 points in a SB.

I could not disagree more with this.

14 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Bills are going to need some sort of running game to stop teams from pinning their ears back and rushing Josh.

That exists already it's called Josh always avoids the first defender and burns you as he takes off scrambling for 10 yards a pop in those situations . Seriously though there is some validity to your concern too, and being able to run for balance at times can help for sure.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Can't say I agree.... McDs defense was pretty damn good throughout that SB season with the Panthers. Even in the SB they shut down the Broncos offense.... difference is they were stacked personnel wise.

The Panthers were huge favorites in that game. Denver had quite possibly the worst offense to ever play in a SB that year. That was when Manning could only throw the ball about 10 yards downfield and it took an hour to get there.

The Panthers looked like world beaters in those first 2 playoff games. I remember thinking those were the most dominating victories I’d ever seen.

It didn’t end well.

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He’s a first round bust that’s why he’s gone no loss at all he barely cracks PFFs top 90 

Yeh as we saw what happened in the super bowl when their two starters got hurt at tackle and they had no one behind them they where blown out 

They also got bullied up the middle is was a complete domination. That also explains the reason they signed Thuney for big money. 

The Chiefs are doing what they did in 2018 after losing to the Pats in the playoffs they pretty much blew up there Dline outside of Jones now there doing they exact thing with there Oline. Chiefs don't wait around for something to happen they got out and fix there problems. I believe there line will be much better in 2021 season. 

The Bills on the other hand have leaned towards continuity and building depth let's see if this works out for us. I would rather of had us blow up our Dline outside of a few guys like Oliver, Epenesa and Phillips. Let's face it this Dline we have is not Super bowl caliber I just wish McBeane could of seen it this way. This yr was the best yr I ever seen for Dlineman in free agency next yr there won't be half the guys available. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

They also got bullied up the middle is was a complete domination. That also explains the reason they signed Thuney for big money. 

The Chiefs are doing what they did in 2018 after losing to the Pats in the playoffs they pretty much blew up there Dline outside of Jones now there doing they exact thing with there Oline. Chiefs don't wait around for something to happen they got out and fix there problems. I believe there line will be much better in 2021 season. 

The Bills on the other hand have leaned towards continuity and building depth let's see if this works out for us. I would rather of had us blow up our Dline outside of a few guys like Oliver, Epenesa and Phillips. Let's face it this Dline we have is not Super bowl caliber I just wish McBeane could of seen it this way. This yr was the best yr I ever seen for Dlineman in free agency next yr there won't be half the guys available. 

They just lost 38-9 in the Super Bowl and it could have been even worse then that...Jarren Reed was a bust in Seattle you realize he was part of a defense Josh lit up for 44? And where exactly where the Bills going to get the money for these transactions? They where right against the cap to begin with its easy to say hey let’s go sign a bunch of guys but when you see the money they signed for where where the Bills going to get it and they still have the draft and the post June 1st cuts 

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

with what money? We were already struggling with cap space as it was, we had other areas of need as well. The chiefs only downfall was their oline. They were able to do what they did. If out only shortcoming was our dline than it might have been possible, but we had holes all over the place. I don’t think that it was an option 

13 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

It’s not complete but as of now:

LT?

LG Thuney

C?

RG Long or Wylie

RT Niang

Remmers as back up

i suspect Long will win the RG job because Wylie is more versatile as a backup G/T but not a high end player.  

The DR will be back as far as we know, he wasn’t playing well before covid season, have no idea what he will look like.  I’m not counting on him making the team.  IF he surprises and looks good, he could start at LG and Thuney could be C, but that’s a real long shot and I think they really don’t want Thuney at C

Thanks Zero for giving an honest assessment of their OL.

I'm sure the Chief are going to the draft and will be adding in the end of FA.

I got a question.  Is there any vet Guards right now on the Chief that have Center experience?

I don't see any but it seems a decent option if they do to start the season.

As a Bills fan my hope is that it takes a while for this almost completely new line to learn to work together.

As a Chiefs fan I'm sure once the 5 are determined you hope the C and T's stay healthy cuz there isn't a lot of depth there.

Like I said before when it comes to who has improved or not concerning the Bills/Chiefs I will wait till they final 53.

43 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They just lost 38-9 in the Super Bowl and it could have been even worse then that...Jarren Reed was a bust in Seattle you realize he was part of a defense Josh lit up for 44? And where exactly where the Bills going to get the money for these transactions? They where right against the cap to begin with its easy to say hey let’s go sign a bunch of guys but when you see the money they signed for where where the Bills going to get it and they still have the draft and the post June 1st cuts 

First off I didn't mention Reed at all so I don't know remarking towards . But since u brought him up he's not bust he has 16.5 sks the last 2 yrs combined and he should flourish next to Jones & Clark there gonna be tough to handle. 

Secondly we could of gotten the money by making cuts to players that don't deserve the money there getting Addison and Butler would of freed up 13mil combined Instead 3plus they restructured for that 10 mil could of landed us Carl Lawson instead . Lawson is a huge upgrade over Addison and we shouldn't be paying Butler 5mil to be a bkup DT . We could of signed a vet for 2 mil instead . I like the Obada signing we could of still gotten him . Plus there's more money we could free up by restructuring Dawkins and Diggs . You seriously buying that total bullcrap about the cap it's a blanking joke. Tomlinson got 2yrs 22 mil from the Vikings u think he wouldn't rather be in Buffalo? Cut Star u got half his money right there. 

The cap can be turned and twisted to do what u please with it. We could of rebuilt this DLine I don't want to hear the excuses. Btw its not selling your future either because the cap is gonna go up drastically in the coming yrs. Please don't give me that mess that these players won't sign with Buffalo because they will Lawson and Tomlinson went to bad teams . 

Talk about where's the money gonna come from what a jk the money is tied up in this putrid Dline . We have over 40 mil in spending going to the line in 21 and in 20 we spent over 50. These guys are part of the reason we didn't win a title this yr but most of u got your heads to up your u know what not seeing the big picture. 

Here's what my new line would of looked like. 

RE - Hughes, Obada, Epenesa

DT1 - Tomlinson, Phillips

DT3 - Oliver, Zimmer, Obada

LE- Lawson , Epenesa, Johnson

Would u trade Addison, Butler and Star for Lawson, Tomlinson & Obada ?  Because I know I would . 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1