Virgil

TSW Mock Draft Bills Selection Poll - Round 1, Pick 30  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills draft at #30 overall

• Jaelan Phillips, Edge, Miami
    • Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
    • Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/29/2021 at 04:04 PM

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I honestly think many teams are nervous about players from there.  I say it jokingly, but that program masks their talent each year with their NCAA scheduling skirting.  When it comes to the big games, they get destroyed.  They are fools gold.

Some players end up doing okay, but who was the last solid big name talent that really translated.

(I know I'm going to regret saying this as I went off pure memory and didn't do any research)

As an ND fan (my grandfather was a huge Notre Dame fan so I never had a choice really), I think that's slightly harsh regarding their players, but I definitely get where you're coming from in terms of the big games. ND has a serious Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State problem (almost every team does to be fair) and it's gotten to the point where I wish they'd stop putting us in the playoff. We have generally played well and been a solid top 15 team year in and year out, but don't recruit well enough to be a top 5 team and genuine national championship contender at the moment. 

In terms of their prospects and their NFL readiness, Notre Dame actually plays a pro-ready type offense/defense and they've had a number of good prospects. Again all the five star recruits mostly go to the elite teams I mentioned, but guys like Ronnie Stanley, Quenton Nelson, Romeo Okwara, Harrison Smith, Kyle Rudolph, Will Fuller, Golden Tate, Tyler Eifert, Stephon Tuitt, and Zack Martin have all had solid-to-excellent NFL careers with some younger guys like Claypool up and coming. Outside of Nelson, Martin, and pre-injury Jaylon Smith, JOK is probably a better prospect than the rest of those guys and I think his skill set translates really well to the NFL game. 

As a side note, how does one get involved in these mock drafts? Can I be added to the list for the next one? Cheers!

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Honestly, I don’t think it’s too crazy.  Someone’s going to drop, it could easily be him.   Look at the Raiders the past few years, they love taking people too soon.   They could also take a RB. 

I think people have done a decent job so far in this mock. 

Someone certainly could drop. I think it might be Rousseau myself but I can see why it could be JOK.

4 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

As an ND fan (my grandfather was a huge Notre Dame fan so I never had a choice really), I think that's slightly harsh regarding their players, but I definitely get where you're coming from in terms of the big games. ND has a serious Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State problem (almost every team does to be fair) and it's gotten to the point where I wish they'd stop putting us in the playoff. We have generally played well and been a solid top 15 team year in and year out, but don't recruit well enough to be a top 5 team and genuine national championship contender at the moment. 

In terms of their prospects and their NFL readiness, Notre Dame actually plays a pro-ready type offense/defense and they've had a number of good prospects. Again all the five star recruits mostly go to the elite teams I mentioned, but guys like Ronnie Stanley, Quenton Nelson, Romeo Okwara, Harrison Smith, Kyle Rudolph, Will Fuller, Golden Tate, Tyler Eifert, Stephon Tuitt, and Zack Martin have all had solid-to-excellent NFL careers with some younger guys like Claypool up and coming. Outside of Nelson, Martin, and pre-injury Jaylon Smith, JOK is probably a better prospect than the rest of those guys and I think his skill set translates really well to the NFL game. 

As a side note, how does one get involved in these mock drafts? Can I be added to the list for the next one? Cheers!

Send me a message and I’ll add you to the list for 2.0 probably starting next Saturday. 

As for Notre Dame, my dislike them is purely fan based and irrational.  It always pissed me off to see them get a big bowl game and then get destroyed.  I believe they need to be in a conference and subject to the same SOS as everyone else, including having something to win to qualify. 

That’s really the extent of it for me 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills need for speed. 

I’m worried if a hole doesn’t open up that he’ll be dropped like a sack of potatoes, that worries me. Seems like Najee is fast and can open holes, can catch too. Seems a lot like Derrick Henry if not LeVeon Bell. I’m worried about Etienne.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Victory Formation said:

I’m worried if a hole doesn’t open up that he’ll be dropped like a sack of potatoes, that worries me. Seems like Najee is fast and can open holes, can catch too. Seems a lot like Derrick Henry if not LeVeon Bell. I’m worried about Etienne.

Najee is a better bet if you want an every down back. I am not sure the Bills want or need an every down back given they are a pass first offense. They need someone who is a threat to take it the distance. I have them very close but I do have Etienne just ranked higher. I like Najee.... but I don't know where the special is. He is definitely a safer choice. I wouldn't like the Bills to take either at #30.

9 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Najee, also better blocker and better ball security.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Najee is a better bet if you want an every down back. I am not sure the Bills want or need an every down back given they are a pass first offense. They need someone who is a threat to take it the distance. I have them very close but I do have Etienne just ranked higher. I like Najee.... but I don't know where the special is. He is definitely a safer choice. I wouldn't like the Bills to take either at #30.

Yessir. I’m okay with Najee in the right scenario, not my first choice but still a solid one.

12 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

I like Eric Stokes here. Cosmi the best remaining tackle  Was reading Owusu Koromoah is quite small for an LB and projects as a nickel only. But lacking the choice I selected Phillips.

Stokes is going to be an awesome pro.  Actually is exactly the kind of player McD likes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

People see him as a LB/S hybrid who can cover a TE

Exactly, plus he still has room to add about 10-15lbs and be a Lavonte David type of LB. The young man is talented. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, H2o said:

Exactly, plus he still has room to add about 10-15lbs and be a Lavonte Davis type of LB. The young man is talented. 

And if there is a defensive mind in the NFL who has shown he is not afraid by undersized linebackers it is Sean McDermott. He wants his linebackers to cover and he has been knowingly looking for a guy that allows him to switch from base to nickel without swapping personnel. 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Send me a message and I’ll add you to the list for 2.0 probably starting next Saturday. 

As for Notre Dame, my dislike them is purely fan based and irrational.  It always pissed me off to see them get a big bowl game and then get destroyed.  I believe they need to be in a conference and subject to the same SOS as everyone else, including having something to win to qualify. 

That’s really the extent of it for me 

Yeah I get that, think a lot of other fans feel that way. They have definitely received better bowl bids than they should have in recent years.

I do think there's a chance ND will get better in the next few years (Brian Kelly has finally settled in and modified his coaching style, the recruiting has been ticking up, and getting Marcus Freeman as our new DC was the steal of the offseason), but I'd prefer it didn't happen for a few years until we can play with those 3 or 4 elite teams.

Thanks man, will do!

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And if there is a defensive mind in the NFL who has shown he is not afraid by undersized linebackers it is Sean McDermott. He wants his linebackers to cover and he has been knowingly looking for a guy that allows him to switch from base to nickel without swapping personnel. 

I get where you guys are coming from, it’s just that one of the general weaknesses of the team on D IMO is size. I’d like to see them getting bigger not smaller. I like a bigger DT and a bigger CB. We might get both this draft. 

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Someone certainly could drop. I think it might be Rousseau myself but I can see why it could be JOK.

My browns pick for Surratt in that mock was based mostly on Cleveland doesn’t seem to follow the same patterns mocks produce and I wasn’t positive I could snag him in the second. I have been hearing a lot of them running this 3 safety look. Mack Wilson, Surratt and a safety dropping down sounded fun to me. 
I read something I think by Daniel Jeremiah saying JOK possibly played around 200 pounds and teams weren’t sure if he’d be as good bulking up to 220+ where he’s listed. So my guess was JOK and Delpit would kinda occupy the same role in Cleveland’s defense. 

• Like (+1) 1