League officially announced it will move to a 17 game schedule starting in 2021

Logic

4 minutes ago, ToBillsFan said:

Does a 17 game season guarantee an extra home game though? Could be an additional away game for some teams, so season ticket holders may not benefit.

in fact you may lose a home preseason game and not gain a regular season game. 

Does this make sense?

The NFL is also lobbying for more international games. That’s what I think this is ultimately about. That should really improve the product. Those London games are always so great. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

1. It shows no care whatsoever for player safety or the quality of the games. As it is, by week 17 of the NFL season, many teams are the walking wounded and bear no resemblance to the team that began the season.

2. It makes 43 years worth of statistical records useless. 

3. There is no evidence that fans actually WANT an extra week of football. Indeed, some polls that have been taken showed that fans were AGAINST expanding the season.

4. There are plenty of ways to continue to increase revenue other than trying to fix what ain't broke with regard to the schedule length.

5. The NFL would become the only major pro sport to have an odd number of games instead of an even number of games.

6. The NFL is the greatest sport there is. It's massively popular and rakes in billions of dollars. Why does the league continually insist on tinkering with it, when it's already the most popular sport in the country just the way it is?

-- I'm all for getting rid of 1 or 2 preseason games. I don't like expanding the regular season. I don't see the need for it, and I worry that the NFL will just go on adjusting and tinkering with things in perpetuity with a league that doesn't really seem to need the alterations. I'm concerned that the NFL's never-ending greed will eventually mean the downfall of the game that we all love so much. They just don't seem to know when to leave well enough alone.

1.   If I were a player, would completely agree about no concern over safety.  But I'm not, I'm a fan and as some have stated, it's an extra week of football

2.  In 1977 people would have stated the same thing, except that time it would only have made 18 years of statistics meaningless as in 1960 they went from 12 to 14 games.  I read between 1926 and 1946 they played from eleven to fourteen games so at some point also an odd number.

3.  Not true, there 's at least three posts on this thread in favor so to say no evidence just isn't true.  Actually you may have been the only person on this thread that is actually against it.  You said some polls showed fans were against, I'd take that to mean some polls showed fans were in favor??

4.  Can you give some examples of what the league could do to increase revenue to the level adding an extra week of games could do?  The only thing I could think of would be to add an extra bye week so they play 16 games over 18 weeks, but when the league tried to add an extra bye week, they players only would agree if they were paid for the bye week.  So how much are the players really against it?

5.  Eventually they will go to 18 games so that will solve this concern.  As stated above apparently at some point the league played 11 games.  I do agree playing different number of home and road games is kind of strange, but guess every other year will balance out.  I can recall for a few years in the late 1960's the AFL had a league of nine teams.  Actually also happened more recently in the NFL from 1999 to 2002.  To me an odd number of teams is even worse.

6.   Because to many people an extra week of football is improving the league.

OK you don't like the idea, but many will and view this as an improvement adding an extra week of games.  I'm sure many people thought going from 12 t o14 and 14 to 16 games was also no good.  Safety is a valid concern, but not sure how much adding one extra week changes things.  I don't recall seeing a huge spike in injuries per team the during the first week of the playoffs which would be the equivalent of a 17th game

I'm not against it, not sure player safety is in their best interests. 

Of course I'll watch it and most likely enjoy it. Players will just use it to get more $, which they should.

The borderline players trying to make a 53 man roster in preseason will be the most likely loses I suppose. Probably won't be that bad though. 

Just now, WotAGuy said:

If there’s an extra game this year, why did the cap go down?  Wouldn’t the extra game have wiped out the 2020 losses in revenue?

It's based on the 2020 revenues.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

1. It shows no care whatsoever for player safety or the quality of the games. As it is, by week 17 of the NFL season, many teams are the walking wounded and bear no resemblance to the team that began the season.

3. There is no evidence that fans actually WANT an extra week of football. Indeed, some polls that have been taken showed that fans were AGAINST expanding the season.

4. There are plenty of ways to continue to increase revenue other than trying to fix what ain't broke with regard to the schedule length.

5. The NFL would become the only major pro sport to have an odd number of games instead of an even number of games.

6. The NFL is the greatest sport there is. It's massively popular and rakes in billions of dollars. Why does the league continually insist on tinkering with it, when it's already the most popular sport in the country just the way it is?

-- I'm all for getting rid of 1 or 2 preseason games. I don't like expanding the regular season. I don't see the need for it, and I worry that the NFL will just go on adjusting and tinkering with things in perpetuity with a league that doesn't really seem to need the alterations. I'm concerned that the NFL's never-ending greed will eventually mean the downfall of the game that we all love so much. They just don't seem to know when to leave well enough alone.

They are now one step away from an eighteen game season, bank on that happening in approximately five to ten years. The owners greed knows no bounds, bank on that as well.  I’m not saying I agree with this happening, but it’s going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

They are now one step away from an eighteen game season, bank on that happening in approximately five to ten years. The owners greed knows no bounds, bank on that as well.  I’m not saying I agree with this happening, but it’s going to happen. 

The players' (greed in getting) higher salaries will soothe their souls.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I don’t hate the idea. It’s one more game check for players. Also possibly frees up more jobs on the practice squads. More games=more spots for reserves on the practice squads right? 
If it kills some of preseason that’s great as well. Less injuries in pointless games. I think the goal is obviously revenue, but also to make the last weeks more important. Extra week is just more possible drama deciding playoff seeding and draft position etc etc 

16 minutes ago, TBBills said:

So who do we play? Was it WFT?

Yes.  The AFC East plays the NFLC East this year.

Bills/WFT

I like the Pats playing Dallas and the Chiefs playing Green Bay!

2 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Any idea at what part of the season that this game will play?

No one has said yet but I'm sure it will be scattered around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

The players' (greed in getting) higher salaries will soothe their souls.

Yes it will 👍

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Point #2 is my biggest peeve.

Just like having 7 teams per conference instead of 6.

It's not that I want things to be the same. Things change constantly. But if Josh beats records, I want him to beat them because he's that good, nbot because he had one extra game to do it!

• Like (+1) 1

The extra game will be against the opposite conference.  This season it's AFC East vs. NFC East.  You pull the team that finished the same slot as you.  In this case the 1st place team, the WFT.  AFC will be the home team for the extra game.  Each season the 'home' conference alternates, and we'll play that extra game against a different, rotating NFC division.

We got lucky pulling the WFT (at home even) instead of the Seahawks or Packers.

36 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Point #2 is my biggest peeve.

Just like having 7 teams per conference instead of 6.

It's not that I want things to be the same. Things change constantly. But if Josh beats records, I want him to beat them because he's that good, nbot because he had one extra game to do it!

you math guys do realize they can use a stat called averaging? Right?🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

OJ still has the rushing yards avg per game record even after his season total rush yards record was broken.

Thank god there was no internet when they changed from 12 to 14 games.

You guys go bananas on each if the games (me too), yet it’s so terrible we have another week to enjoy a game.  Whether it’s popular or not, we will make it to 18 games and at most have two pre-season games.

Go to an 18 game schedule, starting in mid to late August, and give each team 4 bye weeks over a 22 week regular season. The season would then end mid to late February with the Super Bowl.

26 weeks of football. I can dig it.