League officially announced it will move to a 17 game schedule starting in 2021

Logic

Yes, this was a formality. Everyone has known since the CBA was ratified that the league secured the right to expand the regular season to 17 games, and that they were highly likely to exercise that option. Nevertheless, today it was announced that they definitely WILL be exercising that option, beginning in 2021.

Personally, I HATE that this is happening. I don't see any reason for it other than money. I get that the NFL is a business, but they're doing JUST FINE, thank you very much. There are many other ways to continue to increase revenue without lengthening the regular season. There were even polls done in recent years by PFT and other outlets asking if fans were in favor of expanding the regular season, and the majority of fans voted that they WERE NOT in favor of it. Yet here we are. Ugh. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/28/yes-the-nfl-will-expand-to-17-regular-season-games-this-week/

"Maybe it’s just a slow news day.

Whatever the case, a report from ESPN that the NFL’s owners are expected to add a 17th regular-season game this week is not news. Anyone who has been paying any attention to the NFL over the past few months knew that it wasn’t just “expected” to happen, but that it is happening.

The only question left is whether the NFL will reduce the preseason to three games or to two. The owners are expected (am I doing that right?) to reduce the preseason to three games."

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, driddles said:

One of my worthless preseason games now becomes a regular season game.  I'll take it, it's a good deal for the season ticket holders.  

Yup.  I eventually see it as being an 18-game season with 2 pre-season games.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yes, this was a formality. Everyone has known since the CBA was ratified that the league secured the right to expand the regular season to 17 games, and that they were highly likely to exercise that option. Nevertheless, today it was announced that they definitely WILL be exercising that option, beginning in 2021.

Personally, I HATE that this is happening. I don't see any reason for it other than money. I get that the NFL is a business, but they're doing JUST FINE, thank you very much. There are many other ways to continue to increase revenue without lengthening the regular season. There were even polls done in recent years by PFT and other outlets asking if fans were in favor of expanding the regular season, and the majority of fans voted that they WERE NOT in favor of it. Yet here we are. Ugh. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/28/yes-the-nfl-will-expand-to-17-regular-season-games-this-week/

Whatever the case, a report from ESPN that the NFL’s owners are expected to add a 17th regular-season game this week is not news. Anyone who has been paying any attention to the NFL over the past few months knew that it wasn’t just “expected” to happen, but that it is happening.

The only question left is whether the NFL will reduce the preseason to three games or to two. The owners are expected (am I doing that right?) to reduce the preseason to three games."

I don't understand the complaints. It's one more week of football to shove in our eyeballs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

23 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I don't understand the complaints. It's one more week of football to shove in our eyeballs.

1. It shows no care whatsoever for player safety or the quality of the games. As it is, by week 17 of the NFL season, many teams are the walking wounded and bear no resemblance to the team that began the season.

2. It makes 43 years worth of statistical records useless. 

3. There is no evidence that fans actually WANT an extra week of football. Indeed, some polls that have been taken showed that fans were AGAINST expanding the season.

4. There are plenty of ways to continue to increase revenue other than trying to fix what ain't broke with regard to the schedule length.

5. The NFL would become the only major pro sport to have an odd number of games instead of an even number of games.

6. The NFL is the greatest sport there is. It's massively popular and rakes in billions of dollars. Why does the league continually insist on tinkering with it, when it's already the most popular sport in the country just the way it is?

-- I'm all for getting rid of 1 or 2 preseason games. I don't like expanding the regular season. I don't see the need for it, and I worry that the NFL will just go on adjusting and tinkering with things in perpetuity with a league that doesn't really seem to need the alterations. I'm concerned that the NFL's never-ending greed will eventually mean the downfall of the game that we all love so much. They just don't seem to know when to leave well enough alone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

First.......pro football only exists to make money.  

And everybody that says they don't need more football watches more football if more football is on.

Until that stops then the supply is not meeting the demand........it will be 18 games by 2023 most likely.

Which is more advertising opportunities for things that you might see as more of a need..........like different alcoholic drinks,  chicken sandwiches and pizza concoctions.

This is how real business actually works.

Keep it coming NFL.........1 more week to tailgate is a need for me.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Safety first.........unless there is a chance to increase revenue. Then safety second.

One extra game isn't going to do anything. Fun to go overboard though.

Edited by TBBills
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

The safety argument is an empty one. The players had already agreed to this.  If they aren’t concerned then why should we challenge their choice?

Even less convincing is any suggestion that fans won’t be up for another regular season game.  That claim challenges all  “logic”...

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Yes.....definitely going overboard by saying NFL prioritizes revenue over safety. 

The sky is falling. So basically the Lions are the healthiest team in the league b.c they never make the playoffs.

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The safety argument is an empty one. The players had already agreed to this.  If they aren’t concerned then why should we challenge their choice?

Even less convincing is any suggestion that fans won’t be up for another regular season game.  That claim challenges all  “logic”...

True, the players want more money. They always talk a big game about safety until money is on the line. My only argument is about the quality of the game. I hate Thursday Night Football. The product is trash, but fans are eating it up. More football doesn’t equal better football. Wasn’t the 17th game supposed to originally be a neutral site game to balance out the odd number ? If so, that’s additional travel for two teams. Much like Thursday Night Football it lowers the quality of play. 

Does a 17 game season guarantee an extra home game though? Could be an additional away game for some teams, so season ticket holders may not benefit.

in fact you may lose a home preseason game and not gain a regular season game. 

Does this make sense?