DaQuan Jones a backup 1 technique addition

4 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

So you're cutting Harrison Phillips? Surely there's only room on the roster for 2 of these one-dimensional role players.

Let them compete and may the best man win.  And there's always the PS for HP.

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

As it stands right now we don’t have a fourth round pick anyway if we want shelves and I think we have to take him in the third. I know that a lot of people don’t put a lot of stock in the big fatty’s but this is a year we should invest

For a big fatty this guy got some quick feet and power I seen him get of the double team and still make plays in the backfield ,  I would love for him to be there at the end of a 3rd round , 

That position takes a little while to develop. Wouldn’t mind a veteran to come in and at least push Phillips for a backup role. No doubt we draft one too. Outside of CB 2 I think 1 tech is our weakest spot. It was glaring last year. 😲

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We are relying an aweful lot on Star coming back and fixing some things.....honestly it makes me a little nervous.  Also Star might be a one year and move on player for us.

I am hoping for a mid round pick on a space eater.   To me our inside pass rush really revolves around our 3 tech Oliver......we NEED a space eating 1 tech

People are also forgetting or just never knew how bad Star was.  We were atrocious against the run up the middle when he was in the game, he rarely took on double teams and does not eat up space. 

He's a one year problem we have to deal with because of covid.

4 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

OTC has them with over 8 million in cap space. Spotrac with 4+ and is behind updating some restructures. They could restructure more if need be.  Our 1 technique position is shaky at best.

OTC has Matakevich restructure and Sanders void year, but seems to be missing Isaiah McKenzie, Efe Obada, and Matt Breida (that I noticed - and I think I'm missing a couple that they're missing)

'Course those 3 signings will push 3 guys out of the top 51 so it's only the difference between the $0.815M, $0.786M etc currently at 49,50,51 that comes off the cap....

I share your concern for Butler and Phillips. I remember when mock drafts had Phillips going to us in round 1. I'll wager that we draft Star's replacement the year his contract runs out. I think Vita Vea is the best 1-Tech right now. Pass rush and OL seem like the 2 best investments for increasing our chances of winning a SB. Then CB.

14 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Bills need an honest one tech to rotate in.
key role player .Where they get one ? don't care. just get one  :)

They've got three. They don't need one this year.

They could definitely use a young guy to develop, though. Wouldn't be surprised to see them draft one.

9 hours ago, White Linen said:

People are also forgetting or just never knew how bad Star was.  We were atrocious against the run up the middle when he was in the game, he rarely took on double teams and does not eat up space. 

He's a one year problem we have to deal with because of covid.

Please. That's nonsense.

He absolutely took on a bunch of doubles and he certainly does eat up space. He's very good at it, but certainly not elite or anything. And he's a two-down guy, not a penetrator or an athlete. But he's good at what they want him to do.

And he could certainly be here longer than a year, though not if he regresses.

14 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

So you're cutting Harrison Phillips? Surely there's only room on the roster for 2 of these one-dimensional role players.

Last year of his rookie deal - he hasn't exactly lit it up out there either.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Please. That's nonsense.

He absolutely took on a bunch of doubles and he certainly does eat up space. He's very good at it, but certainly not elite or anything. And he's a two-down guy, not a penetrator or an athlete. But he's good at what they want him to do.

In 2019 he was everyones favorite whipping boy - replaced by edmunds in 2020.  It was constant talk of - star getting moved by 1 guy, star generating no push, star not occupying his gap... etc.  He was better at it than Oliver and Zimmer - who arent 1Ts.  But lets not act like he was all-pro.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Please. That's nonsense.

It's a myth fans hear is true.  He's awful at what they need him to do. We still got ran on up the middle but it got a little better without Star.

He constantly gets removed from the play and blown up by just the center.

Would like this addition. He was rated pretty good by PFF for what that is worth and Titans fans rave about the guy being an under appreciated player. I think this would be a very good addition. As much as I think Star can make a difference I think coming off a year where he didn't play it might be a good idea to sign a player that can be a high end player behind him. Not only to have an NT that can rotate but for depth. H.Phillips in my mind being Star's backup doesn't make sense. I loved what Phillips brought in 2019 but after he got hurt 5 games in he wasn't the same in 2020. Better to have a decent NT on the roster behind Star as opposed to just relying on him. This would remind me of the Spain deal in 2019. A possibly cheap player that can come in and start at a decent to above average level. I am surprised so many are no on board with this.

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

It's a myth fans hear is true.  He's awful at what they need him to do. We still got ran on up the middle but it got a little better without Star.

In 2019 Star really turned it on the back 6-7 games of the season. After H.Phillips went down against the Titans the Bills run defense went into a big funk and then suddenly the run defense was really good and a lot of that was behind Star's improved play. I have no idea what the Bills will get with Star in 2021. I think getting a good NT behind him in case he stinks is a good idea.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They've got three. They don't need one this year.

They could definitely use a young guy to develop, though. Wouldn't be surprised to see them draft one.

They've got one aging one and 2 non-descript ones.  I think they absolutely need to take one this year.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, White Linen said:

Sorry, man, but that's just utter nonsense.

McDermott has now had Star as his space eater for years. The reason that's so is very very simple. He's good at it. No, he's not good at penetrating or rushing or running up stats. Fans want that when they see the salary. But McDermott knew what he needed, knew what Star provided in Carolina and went out and signed him.

The Bills have made it as plain as possible that they like him.

You don't. Fine, whatever. But they do, which is the point.

Doesn't mean they won't draft someone to platoon, learn from him and take over as he ages. They easily might. But they like Star no matter what you think.