Chances Watson lands in AFCE

23 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Yes a WR who is paid minimally and is not the face of the franchise at $35M year. This is toxic even if he’s not criminally charged. He also was happy to sign this contract a year ago when he certainly could have by then formed his opinion of the owner. I don’t think that helps his value either. The guy is simply not worth it in the short term. Unlikely this will be resolved in advance of the draft. Post draft Texans are not trading him this year. 

True that, funny how all this comes to the surface when Watson decides he wants to be traded. 

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

It’s a well written and conceived post.  There should be more of this and less complaining about this.  If you don’t care to read it, much less talk about, don’t.  Why waste your time complaining about it? Something will eventually happen concerning Watson. It may happen this offseason....we really have no idea.  In the meantime....do what people do on message boards.  Discuss it in a well articulated post.  Jmo

I'm not complaining about it, although I do think it's a silly post.  I responded to it with my own viewpoint, which is what I thought we were supposed to do on this board.  And my post was well-articulated (as usual 😀).

The idea that Watson could be traded before the draft is flat out crazy.  This is 2021.  Until the situation changes substantially, no organization is going to spend any significant asset to acquire DeShaun Watson.  For all anyone knows, he might very well be facing criminal sexual assault charges this fall.  FFS, Kareem Hunt was released and almost had his career terminated based on far less serious allegations.  Do you really think any organization is going to trade a couple first round draft choices (or even one) for a guy who might be forced to register as a sex offender in his new home?  Watson is more likely to be released by Houston than traded to another team under the present circumstances.  And Houston certainly isn't going to be entertaining any bargain basement offers for him right now, either.  You don't sell your prime asset when it's at its lowest value.  They really have no choice but to wait this out and hope for the best.      

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think on the question of is Watson, right now, tradeable.... I put it this way... how many people think the Texans have had zero calls from other teams about him in the past ten days since the allegations began to flood in? 

I would find it very difficult to believe that the phone hasn't rung once. Even if it is only teams trying to gauge the the extent to which all this alters the price. Maybe NFL teams have more of a moral compass than I give them credit for, but I doubt it. 

I would imagine the calls completely evaporated once the allegations started coming in.  He is radioactive.  It would be flat-out irresponsible (and arguably, reprehensible) for any GM to trade for Watson based on what’s known right now, regardless of how low the price.

10 hours ago, maddenboy said:

Strongly disagree

1)  this is exactly the time for teams to get Watson at a discount.

2)  This is perfect cover for the Texans to retreat from their "line in the sand" stance that they will never trade him.  They can use the allegations to save face, and after the trade, claim that they are a zero tolerance team (or some such PC fluff nonsense). 

3)  I'd guesstimate that, when the Panthers are on the clock, their phone will ring.  'Sir, the Texans are on line one.'  There will have been discussions prior, so it should only take a couple minutes.  It just FEELS like David Tepper is going to get Watson, instead of trying to move up, since QB is now a lock at 1, 2, and 3.

4) I wouldnt rule out SF.  They might offer 3 (and whatever) for Watson, and the Texans can take their QB of the future, if they have their eyes on somebody.

Unless between now and the draft all 24 women simultaneously confess that they were involved in a conspiracy to extort Watson, you are dreaming.  No one is offering so much as a fifth rounder for him with these allegations hanging over him.

47 minutes ago, mannc said:

I would imagine the calls completely evaporated once the allegations started coming in.  He is radioactive.  It would be flat-out irresponsible (and arguably, reprehensible) for any GM to trade for Watson based on what’s known right now, regardless of how low the price.

Aaron Wilson from the Houston Chronicle seems to think teams have still been enquiring... or had as of a week ago at the point the number of allegations was 16. 

I honestly think you are giving NFL franchises too much credit in terms of how they balance character vs talent.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dolphins;  The draft pick swapping that the Dolphins engaged in last week makes is less likely that they will be in the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes going forward.  If they were really trying to swing a trade with Houston I don't think they would have traded away the #3 pick where one of the Big 4 draft day QBs is likely to be selected.  They will probably all be gone by the time the Dolphins pick with their new #6 pick.  Anything can happen but I think this lessens the chance Watson goes to South Beach.  It looks like Miami is going to roll with Tua instead of grabbing one of the blue chip QBs this year.  I think they were the biggest threat to land Watson in our division.

Impact on Bills; I think that's obviously good news for the Bills.  Tua might continue to develop and become a solid franchise QB, but he sure didn't look like one last season.  There will be more talent around Tua to support him but I'd rather keep Watson out of Miami.  If you put Watson in Miami I think its a real dog fight with them to win the AFCE this year.  The Phins' roster has some talent and could make a run with a true franchise QB under center.  Fortunately it looks like they are rolling with Tua. 

Jets;  The Jets are still sitting there at #2 and according to media reports are all in on Zach Wilson from BYU.  They do have the draft capital to swing a trade with Houston (two 1st rounders this year and next) but Joe Douglas seems to have a head on his shoulders and I'd be surprised if he trades a bunch of 1st rounders to Houston to bring in a QB with a big contract when he can lock up a solid young QB on a rookie contract for years and still have a lot of draft capital to restock a roster that is bereft of talent.  On the whole, I think the smart money is on the Jets using their two 1st rounders, their 2nd rounder, and two 3rd rounders to draft a young franchise QB and put a supporting cast around him. 

Impact on Bills;  I'm not sure which scenario is better for the Bills, the Jets trading the store and mortgaging their future for Watson who is a stud and having no team around him, or the Jets rolling the dice on a rookie QB and upgrading the roster.  I could argue both sides of that equation but ultimately I think keeping Watson out of the ACFE is the best outcome for the Bills.  Could Watson overcome the Jet's franchise dysfunction single handedly?  Maybe.  But it would take a couple of seasons to get that roster stocked with enough talent to really make them a threat.  Drafting a franchise QB is always a roll of the dice and there is a chance the Jets won't have the institutional discipline to make it work, ala Sam Darnold.  Lets hope the Jets stay put at #2 and draft a QB.

Patriots;   The Patriots have one pick in each of the first three rounds in this year's draft including the #15 overall selection in the 1st round.  The Patriots have been spending money like drunken sailors in free agency and while the en vogue take is that you can't win by spending big in free agency, I look at the Pat's roster now compared to the end of the last season and I can't imagine how they are not going to be dramatically better this year.  All they need now is a quarterback....  I could see Bill swinging for the fences and sending three 1st rounders for Watson.  With the scandal swirling around Watson I think his price has gone down.  Would there be a lot of snarking and commentary about the Watson / Kraft massage stuff, yep, but I don't see that stopping them from making the move if it's there to be made. The Pat's and Texan's front offices are connected and a deal could get done.

Impact on Bills;  This is the nightmare scenario.  I think it would be a coin toss about winning the division if Watson ends up in New England.  Belichick's defense along with Deshaun Watson's passing would be a deadly combo.  They still have money to go out and buy some B list wide receivers that are still on the market like Golden Tate, Marquise Goodwin, Dede Westbrook, and Cordarrelle Patterson.  Bill doesn't have ten more years to coach.  He needs to start winning now.  Jimmy G would help that but not like Watson would.  I don't expect Cam to be under center Week 1.  Let's pray it's not Watson.

He’s probably looking at sexual assault charges no franchise will touch him now for fear of women’s groups going batshit crazy they signed him and he’s still not as good as Allen anyway 

17 hours ago, mannc said:

Dude, pay attention:  Deshaun Watson is NOT tradable right now, or at anytime before the allegations against him by the 24 or so women are fully resolved, and even then, only if the resolution is favorable to Watson.  There is no way that happens before the NFL draft.  Until and unless it is resolved in his favor, he is radioactive and will not be going to the AFC East, the NFC West or anywhere else.  Go find something else to worry about.  

Maybe.  I think that Watson's trade value has fallen to the point where he might be affordable to teams that couldn't afford him earlier but are willing to overlook his legal problems (which are civil not criminal at this time).  If the Texans really want to get rid of him and his contract before the draft, they can probably find a trade partner.   Watson and Belichick would be a match made in hell for the Bills.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Aaron Wilson from the Houston Chronicle seems to think teams have still been enquiring... or had as of a week ago at the point the number of allegations was 16. 

I honestly think you are giving NFL franchises too much credit in terms of how they balance character vs talent.

Agree.   Watson isn't some marginal starting QB but a top tier one.  As long as his legal issues remain civil and not criminal, there will be teams interested in him.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Doc said:

They don't have near the draft capital to make it work. 

The point of radioactivity, or a suspension I’m not so sure.  These are civil charges for now, and these teams maybe minus the Pats know they would have a top franchise QB for over a decade and more.  The problem is BB wants and needs to win now.  He’s 68 so having a great QB with potentially an 8 games suspension, doesn’t help BB.  He’s probably done in five years.  Now Miami is down to 6, but they also have 18, Tua, and either this years 2nd round at 4th, or next years #1 from SF.

Miami has still a lot of picks so if there was any doubt in Tua, they could do it.  Watson would be happy as Miami has quite a bit of talent on their roster, no state taxes, and Miami is not exactly a bad place to live.  If it were an AFCE team, it would most likely be the Fins.  I just don’t see a scenario where Watson would ever agree to the Jets.  Even with possibly a better coaching staff, they have a complete rebuild.  Why would he ever want to go there.  That’s just going from one mess to another.

With all of that said, I still think he stays put.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Doc said:

He has to say that because that was his first draft pick as their GM (BTW, I just learned that he was a scout with the Bills from '86-93).  But true, it might be the reason he wouldn't try to trade for Watson.

Why do people think that the Cheaters are the only team the Texans would trade with and/or be able to take advantage of them?  

After reading the thread through, I don’t see one person you thinks this. Care to point out where you came to the conclusion that people think that way?

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

After reading the thread through, I don’t see one person you thinks this. Care to point out where you came to the conclusion that people think that way?

They're the team that keeps getting mentioned over and over again.  When Watson A) never mentioned them as a team he'd be willing to be traded to, B) has disliked every hire by the Texans from them and C) doesn't have a great draft position.

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

They're the team that keeps getting mentioned over and over again.  When Watson A) never mentioned them as a team he'd be willing to be traded to, B) has disliked every hire by the Texans from them and C) doesn't have a great draft position.

14 hours ago, Doc said:

Why do people think that the Cheaters are the only team the Texans would trade with and/or be able to take advantage of them?  

So, again, can you point out one post in which one person said “the Cheaters are the only team the Texans would trade with and/or be able to take advantage of them?  

Making stuff up = 👎🏻

this is a thread about teams trading for Watson.  The Patriots are a team that makes a lot of sense.....especially now considering the trades that have been made.

if we were to only talk about teams he had been previously linked to “according to reports”, we’d be talking about the Jets, Dolphins, panthers, Broncos and niners. 

The Jets have reportedly turned down trade offers from the niners for the #2 pick and look to be zeroed in on Wilson.  unlikely to trade for Watson.

Miami traded out of a spot where they could’ve drafted a QB to a spot where it looks like they don’t want a qb and want to surround Tua with more talent.  Unlikely to trade for watson

carolina is definitely in play

Denver is definitely in play

the niners traded multiple assets to get to 3, most would think to get their next qb.  Unlikely to trade for Watson 

3 of the 5 teams mentioned the most aren’t looking to be very interested at the moment. The remaining 2, Carolina and Denver are huge suitors and very likely to get into a bidding war if the Texans start taking offers for Watson.  

For the threads sake, only talking about Carolina and Denver would get boring quickly, so why not look into other teams that have a need for a qb?  

Should the Patriots not be discussed because Watson  “B) has disliked every hire by the Texans from them and C) doesn't have a great draft position.”? 

everything that I’ve stated regarding the pats trading for Watson makes perfect sense.  It may not happen.  Watson may not want to go there, but nowhere did I or anyone else in this thread say they think “the Cheaters are the only team the Texans would trade with and/or be able to take advantage of them?  

I say this, because I have seen you say the same thing to others (regarding people putting words in your mouth).  That’s exactly what you’re doing in this situation 

21 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Unless he is on the Commissioner's Exempt list, he can be traded.  These are civil charges, not criminal charges at this point.  He can be moved before the draft and will be "cheaper" to get as a result of these allegations.  If you are hoping all 32 NFL franchises suddenly find a conscience and do the honorable thing, good luck with that.... Dude

It's not a conscience that stops these teams from trading for him, it's public opinion.. which will hit their wallets and cause massive distractions.  No one wants to start answering the millions of questions that come with making this trade right now. He's totally not getting traded until this gets resolved which might take years.

• Like (+1) 1

Houston is going to want multiple 1st Round Picks (and probably more) in exchange for Deshaun Watson.

It's hard to imagine any franchise making that kind of investment with all the legal issues currently hanging over his head.

And those legal issues are unlikely to resolve before draft day, which is only a month away.

The Jets are sitting at #2, and have Sam Darnold's 5th Year Option on the table.  They need to make their QB decisions now.

The Patriots are in a similar situation, although it's possible they miss-out on the top QB prospects without some kind of trade-up.

The Dolphins appear to have already committed to Tua for the 2021 season.

With all of that said... I wouldn't rule out some kind of mid-season trade, or Watson's status still being in flux at this time next year.  

So unfortunately, the possibility of Watson eventually landing in Miami or New England isn't really far-fetched.

This Watson situation is a mess. I thought the Texans would simply lose out on him and trade him by the draft to a team willing to empty out their picks. The Jets with pick 2 and 23 along with a pair of firsts in 2022 were in a position to make a very good offer. Four first round picks that includes a 2nd overall pick among some other throw in picks and pick swaps was a good offer. The Fins had 3 picks in the top 35 including the third overall pick (until they traded down) plus the ability to add their own future firsts. But now that Watson is facing legal issues I am not sure the trade offers will be what makes sense for the Texans and they are going to be more willing to hold him hostage if the Jets, Fins and other teams are unwilling to make a big Godfather offer. 

I don't think this gets resolved anytime soon. I thought the Fins were trading down with the 49ers to position themselves to draft in this year's draft and still make an offer for Watson down the line. But them losing one of the Niners picks to get back up to 6 makes me think that is less of a possibility as now they only have one of those picks to use in a package. Overall things are just odd and I have no clue what will happen. 

22 hours ago, mannc said:

Bill, there are just too many unknowns right now.  No one is trading for Watson unless and until there is some resolution or it appears that the charges are not particularly serious.  Right now, there are new allegations every week, so a resolution is seemingly a long way off.  Teams like the Jets, Niners and Dolphins, who were mentioned as likely landing places for Watson are moving on, as we saw this week.

And by the way, the bolded is not quite true.  Information has been turned over to the district attorney and there is presumably some sort of criminal investigation ongoing.  

Maybe YOU as Gm wont trade for him but I can absolutely see a team taking a flyer/educated gamble on trading for Watson.  Watson is "damaged goods" now and some team will potentially get him at a bargain price.  Unless you have a your franchise QB a lot of teams would roll the dice and take a gamble on Watson, price just plummeted on him.  Issue is will the Texans face reality and try and trade him.

And there is no active "criminal investigation", unless you work for the Harris Country District Attorney and know something non-public.   That was more Buzbee creating a media storm than reality.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Maybe YOU as Gm wont trade for him but I can absolutely see a team taking a flyer/educated gamble on trading for Watson.  Watson is "damaged goods" now and some team will potentially get him at a bargain price.  Unless you have a your franchise QB a lot of teams would roll the dice and take a gamble on Watson, price just plummeted on him.  Issue is will the Texans face reality and try and trade him.

And there is no active "criminal investigation", unless you work for the Harris Country District Attorney and know something non-public.   That was more Buzbee creating a media storm than reality.

How are you able to make this statement, unless you work for the Harris County District Attorney and know something non-public?  Do you doubt that the district attorney might at least start a criminal investigation of someone accused of sexually assaulting 20 or so women?

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

So, again, can you point out one post in which one person said “the Cheaters are the only team the Texans would trade with and/or be able to take advantage of them?  

Making stuff up = 👎🏻

this is a thread about teams trading for Watson.  The Patriots are a team that makes a lot of sense.....especially now considering the trades that have been made.

if we were to only talk about teams he had been previously linked to “according to reports”, we’d be talking about the Jets, Dolphins, panthers, Broncos and niners. 

The Jets have reportedly turned down trade offers from the niners for the #2 pick and look to be zeroed in on Wilson.  unlikely to trade for Watson.

Miami traded out of a spot where they could’ve drafted a QB to a spot where it looks like they don’t want a qb and want to surround Tua with more talent.  Unlikely to trade for watson

carolina is definitely in play

Denver is definitely in play

the niners traded multiple assets to get to 3, most would think to get their next qb.  Unlikely to trade for Watson 

3 of the 5 teams mentioned the most aren’t looking to be very interested at the moment. The remaining 2, Carolina and Denver are huge suitors and very likely to get into a bidding war if the Texans start taking offers for Watson.  

For the threads sake, only talking about Carolina and Denver would get boring quickly, so why not look into other teams that have a need for a qb?  

Should the Patriots not be discussed because Watson  “B) has disliked every hire by the Texans from them and C) doesn't have a great draft position.”? 

everything that I’ve stated regarding the pats trading for Watson makes perfect sense.  It may not happen.  Watson may not want to go there, but nowhere did I or anyone else in this thread say they think “the Cheaters are the only team the Texans would trade with and/or be able to take advantage of them?  

I say this, because I have seen you say the same thing to others (regarding people putting words in your mouth).  That’s exactly what you’re doing in this situation 

To be fair, I never singled you or anyone else out.  But yes, I'd put the Cheaters in the "no chance" category, for the reasons mentioned.  

5 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

Saquon Barkley in 2018 was Gettleman's 1st draft pick as GM.

Daniel Jones was drafted in 2019, Gettleman's 2nd Draft as NYG.

He's not saying it because he "has to say it", he's saying it because it is 100% true. Daniel Jones will make the quantum Year 3 leap. 2021's Most Improved NFL Player. Book it. 

Writing off Daniel Jones is a foolish endeavor.

Why?  Jones regressed from his rookie season to his sophomore season.  That's not a good sign at all.  And to date there have been no workouts or anything else for DG to hang his hat on WRT Jones magically improving.  But anything is possible. 

And true, Saquon was DG's first draft pick.  My bad there.

Edited by Doc

1 hour ago, Doc said:

To be fair, I never singled you or anyone else out.  But yes, I'd put the Cheaters in the "no chance" category, for the reasons mentioned.  

Why?  Jones regressed from his rookie season to his sophomore season.  That's not a good sign at all.  And to date there have been no workouts or anything else for DG to hang his hat on WRT Jones magically improving.  But anything is possible. 

And true, Saquon was DG's first draft pick.  My bad there.

You didn’t single me out.....but there literally isn’t on person in the thread that did what you claimed they did.  

I didn’t comment about putting the pats in the no chance category or your thoughts regarding the Patriots chances of trading for him.  

My initial post just rejected the idea that the pats don’t have the draft capital to land him. My second post asked why you would put words in people’s mouths, because not one person said what you claimed.

Making things up = 👎🏻

that’s all