Chances Watson lands in AFCE

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah.....but that doesn’t mean the other teams are willing to trade 5+ first rd picks for Watson.  Not many HoF GOWT coach/GMs that just watched their GOAT QB join another team and win a SB in his first year, while his team stuck and he was put through the social media/media ringer and had his credibility/greatness questioned.  

If he wants Watson, he can make it happen.  “Not having near enough draft capital” isn’t true imo.  We have no idea what the other teams that are picking higher in the draft will be picking.....and once they get Watson, there’s a good chance that they’ll be picking in the 20’s too, lowering the value of their future picks.  Or are the pats the only team that will improve dramatically by acquiring him?

It's a long shot.  Belichick at least in the past would laugh at the idea of giving up multiple firsts for a QB who would eat a lot of future cap space.  My guess is he'd have to include players as well and there aren't many available since he's been horrible at drafting to the point they had to uncharacteristically go on a spending splurge in free agency.

There's other factors from the Texans end.  Will Watson waive his no trade clause to go to a place that once employed Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby?  It could be a public relations nightmare for Nick Caserio if he trades Watson to the Pats for less than what fans perceive he's worth (even if these allegations significantly depress his trade value).  Did he give his buddy Belichick a discount?

To me it's more likely the Pats draft a quarterback this year to get one on his rookie deal to compete with Newton.  Even if it means moving up.  They also could still trade for Garoppolo.   

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's a long shot.  Belichick at least in the past would laugh at the idea of giving up multiple firsts for a QB who would eat a lot of future cap space.  My guess is he'd have to include players as well and there aren't many available since he's been horrible at drafting to the point they had to uncharacteristically go on a spending splurge in free agency.

There's other factors from the Texans end.  Will Watson waive his no trade clause to go to a place that once employed Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby?  It could be a public relations nightmare for Nick Caserio if he trades Watson to the Pats for less than what fans perceive he's worth (even if these allegations significantly depress his trade value).  Did he give his buddy Belichick a discount?

To me it's more likely the Pats draft a quarterback this year to get one on his rookie deal to compete with Newton.  Even if it means moving up.  They also could still trade for Garoppolo.   

Yea Jimmy G to New England after the draft seems a slam dunk at this stage. 

Just now, FFadpecr said:

Seahawks

Titans

Ravens

Packers

Bengals

Cowboys

Rams 

Cardinals

Giants

Jags with Trevor Lawrence

Jets with Zach Wilson

49ers with Trey Lance

At least 15 teams would not trade their starting QB for Watson

1.    Seahawks and Wilson are on the outs.  Wilson, 32 years old.  Watson 25 years old.  Nuff said

2.   Tanneyhill over Watson?????   Really?????

3.   They would trade Jackson in a minute for Watson.  Watson isn't a one dimensional QB.

4.   Aaron Rodgers is 312 years old.  Watson is 25 years old.

5.   Burrow... maybe.  Blew up his knee last year, "torn ACL, MCL, and additional structural damage to the knee".  Only "maybe" on the list.

6.   Watson is better than Dak.  Watson is two years younger and isn't coming off a major leg injury.

7.   Stafford???  Really????  33 years old.  Injury history.  Released by the Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford?

8.   Kyler Murray, young mobile QB who is not as good a QB as Watson.  Kingsbury would trade Murray in ten seconds for Watson.

9.   Could Gettleman and the Giants be stupid enough to not trade Daniel Jones for Watson, maybe, but probably not.

10.  QB not drafted yet.

11.  QB not drafted yet

12.  QB not drafted yet.

Just my opinion.

🍻  

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Great points.  

The basis for my thought process is strictly based on BB.  I don’t feel that he’ll be coaching for much longer and winning another SB with a QB that hasn’t yet taken a snap in the NFL could be viewed as unlikely and a daunting task. He may actually prefer that, as that is another feather in his cap if he succeeds.

Then there’s the fact that he hasn’t had an opportunity to win a SB with a QB on a rookie contract in 20 years.  Stockpile the talent with cap while paying the qb nothing 

I just see him as being the guy that takes advantages opportunities of others misfortunes.  In this case, a team may be doing something that has never been done before......trade an elite top 6 QB.  He’s just the kind of guy to take advantage of the Texans misfortune (and mismanagement).  

coming off of last season.....and being left behind by Brady, I think he’s looking for the fastest path to success.  Watson would be exactly that imo

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Nope.  And Caserio, whose hiring was done without Watson's input and whom he apparently doesn't approve of, also came from there.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Seahawks

Titans

Ravens

Packers

Bengals

Cowboys

Rams 

Cardinals

Giants

Jags with Trevor Lawrence

Jets with Zach Wilson

49ers with Trey Lance

At least 15 teams would not trade their starting QB for Watson

The giants wouldn’t trade Danny Dimes for Watson?  😂 

I think Seattle, Tennessee, Baltimore, and Cowboys would as well.  The SF situation is tough to gauge....we don’t even know who they’re currently targeting.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Dude, pay attention:  Deshaun Watson is NOT tradable right now, or at anytime before the allegations against him by the 24 or so women are fully resolved, and even then, only if the resolution is favorable to Watson.  There is no way that happens before the NFL draft.  Until and unless it is resolved in his favor, he is radioactive and will not be going to the AFC East, the NFC West or anywhere else.  Go find something else to worry about.  

Strongly disagree

1)  this is exactly the time for teams to get Watson at a discount.

2)  This is perfect cover for the Texans to retreat from their "line in the sand" stance that they will never trade him.  They can use the allegations to save face, and after the trade, claim that they are a zero tolerance team (or some such PC fluff nonsense). 

3)  I'd guesstimate that, when the Panthers are on the clock, their phone will ring.  'Sir, the Texans are on line one.'  There will have been discussions prior, so it should only take a couple minutes.  It just FEELS like David Tepper is going to get Watson, instead of trying to move up, since QB is now a lock at 1, 2, and 3.

4) I wouldnt rule out SF.  They might offer 3 (and whatever) for Watson, and the Texans can take their QB of the future, if they have their eyes on somebody.

27 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

1.    Seahawks and Wilson are on the outs.  Wilson, 32 years old.  Watson 25 years old.  Nuff said

3.   They would trade Jackson in a minute for Watson.  Watson isn't a one dimensional QB.

5.   Burrow... maybe.  Blew up his knee last year, "torn ACL, MCL, and additional structural damage to the knee".  Only "maybe" on the list.

6.   Watson is better than Dak.  Watson is two years younger and isn't coming off a major leg injury.

7.   Stafford???  Really????  33 years old.  Injury history.  Released by the Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford?

8.   Kyler Murray, young mobile QB who is not as good a QB as Watson.  Kingsbury would trade Murray in ten seconds for Watson.

9.   Could Gettleman and the Giants be stupid enough to not trade Daniel Jones for Watson, maybe, but probably not.

10.  QB not drafted yet.

11.  QB not drafted yet

12.  QB not drafted yet.

Just my opinion.

🍻  

Seahawks, Titans and Cowboys, no way.  The cap hits for releasing or trading their QBs would be prohibitive.  The Pack, doubtful as Rodgers is still a great player and they just drafted Love, while again the cap hit would be substantial.  The rest I could see.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

I think on the question of is Watson, right now, tradeable.... I put it this way... how many people think the Texans have had zero calls from other teams about him in the past ten days since the allegations began to flood in? 

I would find it very difficult to believe that the phone hasn't rung once. Even if it is only teams trying to gauge the the extent to which all this alters the price. Maybe NFL teams have more of a moral compass than I give them credit for, but I doubt it. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think on the question of is Watson, right now, tradeable.... I put it this way... how many people think the Texans have had zero calls from other teams about him in the past ten days since the allegations began to flood in? 

I would find it very difficult to believe that the phone hasn't rung once. Even if it is only teams trying to gauge the the extent to which all this alters the price. Maybe NFL teams have more of a moral compass than I give them credit for, but I doubt it. 

I think Yolo posted a tweet from a few days ago saying teams are no longer calling them about trading for him. 

7 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

That's correct.

Giants GM Dave Gettleman would absolutely NOT trade Daniel Jones on a cheap rookie contract, about to have a breakout Year 3 and be 2021's Most Improved Player, for Deshaun Watson and his bloated contract.

No, he'd definitely trade for Watson.  Jones is more likely to bust and was sorely overdrafted.

15 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Just to be clear... you think that the #15 overall pick this year ... plus a LATE first the following year and the year after that ....

Is enough for the Patriots to get Deshaun Watson?

Wow.

Before all of these allegations I agree it would not have been a good offer.  Now, with these allegations, I'm not so sure it wouldn't get the job done.  

🍻

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

10.  QB not drafted yet.

11.  QB not drafted yet

12.  QB not drafted yet.

Just my opinion.

🍻  

I live in Cincy and as long as Burrows knee is okay, and so far we're hearing down here that he's on his way to a 100% recovery, there is no way they would swap Burrow for Watson.

First, most Bengal fans see Burrow as having a higher upside.

Second, that rookie contract is mighty attractive to a team that has a lot of holes to fill.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, FFadpecr said:

Nope. Gettleman loves Daniel Jones. That's his guy. Gettleman has put Jones in prime position for a Year 3 breakout.

He has to say that because that was his first draft pick as their GM (BTW, I just learned that he was a scout with the Bills from '86-93).  But true, it might be the reason he wouldn't try to trade for Watson.

54 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Before all of these allegations I agree it would not have been a good offer.  Now, with these allegations, I'm not so sure it wouldn't get the job done.  

🍻

Why do people think that the Cheaters are the only team the Texans would trade with and/or be able to take advantage of them?  

9 hours ago, Figster said:

Bad rep didn't stop A B from becoming a Pat or Buc

Yes a WR who is paid minimally and is not the face of the franchise at $35M year. This is toxic even if he’s not criminally charged. He also was happy to sign this contract a year ago when he certainly could have by then formed his opinion of the owner. I don’t think that helps his value either. The guy is simply not worth it in the short term. Unlikely this will be resolved in advance of the draft. Post draft Texans are not trading him this year. 

• Like (+1) 1