Chances Watson lands in AFCE

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not out of my lane though, understanding the law is my job. I advise the UK Government on civil and administrative law matters. There might be evidence that goes to the DA that is not in the papers filed and publicly available as part of the civil suit. I agree. I am not saying a criminal suit is or isn't going to happen, what I am saying is the evidence that is in the public domain at this stage would make a criminal prosecution difficult. NFL teams of course will be doing their own investigations if they were considering making a move for Watson but if they believe that what is in the public domain is it then the question they are asking themselves is "could we live with him being suspended for a year, is it still worth the cost?" That isn't untradeable in my eyes. If criminal charges follow then he absolutely is untradeable. 

Do you agree that until much more is known, he is untradable?  I mean, that seems inarguable.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Do you agree that until much more is known, he is untradable?  I mean, that seems inarguable.

No. I think trading for him at this point is risky, for sure... but the size of the potential reward means I don't know that it is an open and shut case. My honest guess is that there are still NFL teams having that discussion about risk / reward conversation in their building.

• Dislike 1

Zero chance before the draft.  Interested parties will certainly be paying close attention though thinking they may now be able to get him at a discount and have him be their QB at some point in 2022.  That includes all three AFC East teams.  Pittsburgh could be a dark horse given their track record with Roethlisberger.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Unless he is on the Commissioner's Exempt list, he can be traded.  These are civil charges, not criminal charges at this point.  He can be moved before the draft and will be "cheaper" to get as a result of these allegations.  If you are hoping all 32 NFL franchises suddenly find a conscience and do the honorable thing, good luck with that.... Dude

it’s not a conscience that’s the issue it’s that  he has major legal issues and very well may be on the list soon. Teams aren’t trying to give the 3rd or 6th pick for a guy that very well may miss this year and more.

20 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I understand about being scared of Watson now but I don't think he will be serial raping women anytime soon anymore.

one of the accusations is from after they started coming forward. 

It’s great  for us Watson didn’t land In the AFC East. 

I think Houston missed the boat. It sounds like their true intentions were to trade him before the draft but publicly spinned he was never for sale. If someone came in and had offered the farm they probably should have taken it.  

Then all the allegations came out.  Now we all wait and see what happens in this saga, followed by the continuing saga with where he ends up playing.

That franchise is a disorganized mess and I’m not sure Nick Caserio has done anything impressive to be honest. There is nothing about the Texans that would excite me as a fan in any way at this point.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Unless he is on the Commissioner's Exempt list, he can be traded.  These are civil charges, not criminal charges at this point.  He can be moved before the draft and will be "cheaper" to get as a result of these allegations.  If you are hoping all 32 NFL franchises suddenly find a conscience and do the honorable thing, good luck with that.... Dude

What team and GM would trade anything for a guy who might get suspended and or end up in jail in the very near future?

As much as I hate the Pats, Jets, and Fins, they aren't that stupid.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

BB wants to win a Super Bowl without #12, so I could see him mortgaging the future to accomplish exactly that, and then retiring after the  balloon payments on that mortgage come due.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

They don't have near the draft capital to make it work. 

That depends on how the legal issues work themselves out. If Watson comes out squeaky clean, then I agree with you, but the price could decrease if the risk factors prove to be significant.

Houston can't get much for him right now, maybe nothing later.

Their only play Is to ride it out and hope he is returned to favorable status with the public/nfl.

If they were hesitant when his value was astronomical I can't see them jumping on a discount deal unless they know it's going further south.

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That depends on how the legal issues work themselves out. If Watson comes out squeaky clean, then I agree with you, but the price could decrease if the risk factors prove to be significant.

If that happens, then there will be a lot more suitors for his services.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Dude, pay attention:  Deshaun Watson is NOT tradable right now, or at anytime before the allegations against him by the 24 or so women are fully resolved, and even then, only if the resolution is favorable to Watson.  There is no way that happens before the NFL draft.  Until and unless it is resolved in his favor, he is radioactive and will not be going to the AFC East, the NFC West or anywhere else.  Go find something else to worry about.  

It’s a well written and conceived post.  There should be more of this and less complaining about this.  If you don’t care to read it, much less talk about, don’t.  Why waste your time complaining about it? Something will eventually happen concerning Watson. It may happen this offseason....we really have no idea.  In the meantime....do what people do on message boards.  Discuss it in a well articulated post.  Jmo

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

BB wants to win a Super Bowl without #12, so I could see him mortgaging the future to accomplish exactly that, and then retiring after the  balloon payments on that mortgage come due.

What's interesting about the whole "will someone trade for Watson?" scenario WRT the Patriots, is that they have a pretty long track history of making various court actions disappear...the only one they couldn't "fix" was Hernandez, and that was like his 2nd or 3rd murder or attempted murder I think?  So anything less, they may view it as "fixable"

30 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

How ironic that the Patriots would take him after what happened with Robert Kraft a couple of years ago at a rub & tug spa and what is being alleged that Watson has done. 😱

Bad rep didn't stop A B from becoming a Pat or Buc

1 hour ago, Doc said:

They don't have near the draft capital to make it work. 

They have all of their first rd picks for the next 50 years.....and all of the rest of their picks.  They have enough to make it work, as we have no clue what other teams may be offering.....and BB has a few years left and clearly wants to win now.   No one knows if how many of those picks he may trade to give him his best chance to win another super bowl.  

if Watson turns out to be innocent of all this, he may trade 5+ first rd picks....and would be worth it IMO.  If Watson doesn’t come up innocent and makes even more sense if he’s isn’t suspended for more than the 2021 season, considering the price will be much lower 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They have all of their first rd picks for the next 50 years.....and all of the rest of their picks.  They have enough to make it work, as we have no clue what other teams may be offering.....and BB has a few years left and clearly wants to win now.   No one knows if how many of those picks he may trade to give him his best chance to win another super bowl.  

if Watson turns out to be innocent of all this, he may trade 5+ first rd picks....and would be worth it IMO.  If Watson doesn’t come up innocent and makes even more sense if he’s isn’t suspended for more than the 2021 season, considering the price will be much lower 

A lot of other teams have the same to offer, if not more, and in better draft positions.  And trading Watson to them pretty much ensures the picks are near the end of the first (or other) rounds. 

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It would be interesting to see a team choose to not go the route of franchise QB.  Trade him for 6 first rounders instead of paying him $50M, and go with a good FA QB for $10M.  I know it's usually the good QB that wins the SB, but the Bucs just won last year with an ancient star QB.  Just an interesting idea.  

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

A lot of other teams have the same to offer, if not more, and in better draft positions.  And trading Watson to them pretty much ensures the picks are near the end of the first (or other) rounds. 

Yeah.....but that doesn’t mean the other teams are willing to trade 5+ first rd picks for Watson.  Not many HoF GOWT coach/GMs that just watched their GOAT QB join another team and win a SB in his first year, while his team stuck and he was put through the social media/media ringer and had his credibility/greatness questioned.  

If he wants Watson, he can make it happen.  “Not having near enough draft capital” isn’t true imo.  We have no idea what the other teams that are picking higher in the draft will be picking.....and once they get Watson, there’s a good chance that they’ll be picking in the 20’s too, lowering the value of their future picks.  Or are the pats the only team that will improve dramatically by acquiring him?

1 minute ago, FFadpecr said:

1) Zero

2) Who cares? Watson is a loser. Sack Machine who just went 4-12.

1.  You may be right, we'll see.

2.  I think the only three NFL teams that wouldn't trade starting QBs with the Texans, these legal issues not withstanding, are the Bills, the Chiefs, and the Chargers.