Players that opted out in 2020

whorlnut

I had this discussion with another member of this board recently and we both feel that there is a possibility that Beane and McD might not view opt out players the same way as prospects as they might guys that chose to chose to play in 2020. The reason being is that they always talk about targeting guys that are great teammates and love football. 

Now, before I get blasted for this, we both agreed that there may be context to this. Some guys may have had health concerns related to COVID, and there may have been other personal reasons that I’m sure Beane and McD would understand. My argument is against those guys that were perfectly healthy and were prima donas that just chose not to play. To me, that’s likely to be considered a red flag to the powers that be. 

I fully believe they will do their research and if they do take an opt out player, that they are very confident they did it for the right reasons. They might see it as quitting on their team in some cases and might look at it as a character flag. 

I’m sure some of you that are pounding the table for a guy that opted out will hate this idea, but I feel we all have a really good idea of how the coach and gm think at this stage.  We will see...

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

There were only 2 for the Bills: Star and EJ Gaines, who probably would have been injured during the season and wouldn't have been back anyway.  In Star's case, he is an overweight person with a heart condition.  I don't think they'll hold opting-out against him.

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

For clarity purposes, I just want to say that I’m talking about players in the draft. 

So you're thinking they pass on a potential prospect like this?:

No. 30 – DE Joe Tyron, Washington

Tryon could wind up being an outstanding value pick. He was a highly productive true sophomore in 2019 that opted out of the 2020 season. And the Bills really could use another edge rusher to give their defensive front some more juice.

1 minute ago, The BLUES Brothers said:

Tryon could wind up being an outstanding value pick. He was a highly productive true sophomore in 2019 that opted out of the 2020 season. And the Bills really could use another edge rusher to give their defensive front some more juice.

It’s just something to think about I guess. I just feel Beane and McD look at character and glove of the game more than others. I’m not saying they want choir boys, but I’m sure they will be looking into why each of these guys opted out. 

25 minutes ago, The BLUES Brothers said:

I sure they pass on THAT pick. Tryon is NOT worth our first rounder. Debatable if he’s even a decent pick at 61...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Top LT in the draft and probably a top 6 pick opted out.  GM's won't pass up talent.  Guys that have opted out of Bowl Games don't seem to be affected in the draft.  No doubt if a player missed the 2020 season, they will need to do additional homework on them but I don't think it will affect their evaluation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Our coach and GM are too smart to hold opt out decisions against a draft prospect. It also is not at all a fair assumption or even fair to suspect, that the player who opted out somehow does not "love football" as much as one who played. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

It’s just something to think about I guess. I just feel Beane and McD look at character and glove of the game more than others. I’m not saying they want choir boys, but I’m sure they will be looking into why each of these guys opted out. 

I don’t think there’s anything that says “poor character” about sitting out the weirdest season anyone has ever experienced. 

Now, if they got out of shape or into trouble in that time period, then sure, you could look at that and say “I can’t trust that guy to make the right decisions” but only the oldest of old-school football guys will look at the lack of information around this last year and use that as any major knock against a kid. Maybe as the 10th or 11th tiebreaker, but not a serious flag 

• Agree 1

Without reading every response I'll just give my take if I was a GM (I'm not btw).

I would want the reason why, if I felt the guy had a great sophomore year and sat because he could and felt his value couldn't get any higher, to me that's a red flag. He is a "me" guy and doesn't love the sport.

If he had legit health reasons, concerns about not being able to see his family for a season and those reasons sound valid and genuine, you can't punish him for that.

Also don't think these opt out guys won't have there social media investigated, if you opted out of football but was at party's and clubs it's a bad look.

Case by case though imo.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, Southern_Bills said:

Without reading every response I'll just give my take if I was a GM (I'm not btw).

I would want the reason why, if I felt the guy had a great sophomore year and sat because he could and felt his value couldn't get any higher, to me that's a red flag. He is a "me" guy and doesn't love the sport.

If he had legit health reasons, concerns about not being able to see his family for a season and those reasons sound valid and genuine, you can't punish him for that.

Also don't think these opt out guys won't have there social media investigated, if you opted out of football but was at party's and clubs it's a bad look.

Case by case though imo.

I was just going to post this.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Case by case though imo.

These are my exact thoughts. I think Beane and McD will be doing a lot of homework to separate the me guys from the ones with logical concerns or reasoning. 

I just don't think it is wise to make judgements on players who opted out, even if they were perfectly healthy and had no underlying conditions.

We were dealing with a worldwide pandemic. It's perfectly natural for many of those players to be scared and uncertain about what playing would mean. And how would you determine which guys just wanted a free pass and which ones had legitimate concerns, as if anyone falls neatly into those buckets anyway?

32 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Case by case though imo.

To me, that just comes down to intelligence. If a guy is dumb enough to say he sat out because of his draft value, and posted about that on social media, or other selfish concerns, you pass on that guy because he is an idiot, not because he is selfish.

Because if those are the true reasons, you lie and just say you did it because of health and family concerns.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I just don't think it is wise to make judgements on players who opted out, even if they were perfectly healthy and had no underlying conditions.

We were dealing with a worldwide pandemic. It's perfectly natural for many of those players to be scared and uncertain about what playing would mean. And how would you determine which guys just wanted a free pass and which ones had legitimate concerns, as if anyone falls neatly into those buckets anyway?

I want players who love the game so much that they'd be willing to take the chance playing through an unprecedented (for the vast majority of humans) pandemic.  Maybe it's an unfair judgment but that's how I feel.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

I sure they pass on THAT pick. Tryon is NOT worth our first rounder. Debatable if he’s even a decent pick at 61...

Completely agree. Not sure he is a scheme fit either. But he is bad value at #30 regardless of whether he played or opted out.

49 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

These are my exact thoughts. I think Beane and McD will be doing a lot of homework to separate the me guys from the ones with logical concerns or reasoning. 

That's with every guy, though... not just opt out guys. It seems like just another variable among the dozens of variables. Not a game changer. Guys who show signs of not loving the game or being me-first would likely show those signs regardless. I doubt opt out decisions affect their usual process at all.

Much ado about virtually nothing,

Every player that opted out was wel within their rights. Also even if they are perfectly healthy there are many instances of developing lingering conditions. See Sweeney and now the heart. 

they will treat all the prospects the same. Interview them and then decide on their makeup (seems they are good at doing that). Opt out or no opt out. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1