But can you do Derrick Henry push ups?

18 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

I would be more impressed if he wasn’t using the elastic band. Looks like it is providing some amount of energy to his upwards motion.

Doesn't look that way to me. Looks to me that when he starts his push if anything the band goes downwards, making it harder. It's only after he's built up his own momentum upwards with flexion that the band is able to contract.

I often do pushups with hands on two different swings while my daughter is playing at the playground. The instability means I can generally only do around half of my normal max and it definitely stresses not just the usual pushup muscles but the stabilizers as well. I love that exercise. Instability makes it a lot harder, and my feet aren't at the same level as the swings, and the band makes Henry even less stable. 

I'd love to try one, but there are people around where I work out and a guy my age would look like an idiot trying this, even if I managed one or two somehow. Particularly the chain.

On 3/27/2021 at 7:15 PM, Victory Formation said:

Those are very very dangerous. I do regular push-ups quite often and they’re an underrated exercise, especially for beginners or if you don’t have many weights around. NAVY SEALS do them, good enough for me, but the way he is doing them is very very dangerous.

Wrong. It creates instability that his body has to make up for and balance.

I agree with your take on them being dangerous, especially for some random person just trying to do them after seeing this.  The shoulder is honestly one of the greatest engineering feats of all time because there isn't much holding it together and it is relatively easy to injure and if there is one joint you don't want to injure that would be it...

When I was in excellent shape my trainer had me attempt to do wall pushups where you put your feet up against the wall and are kind of in a handstand position and then you do pushups like that...I got 3 or 4 of them before I started losing my balance and almost fell over...told him he could go F himself and to never give me those again haha...we were super cool so we kind of always talked trash back and forth but I told him I didn't feel stable in my shoulders doing them and had an impingement issue in my 20s that cost me almost a year of training so he agreed that wasn't a good idea.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/27/2021 at 8:23 PM, The Governor said:

It’s very easy to pull something. I’m surprised they let him do it at all. His feet aren’t stable and the bar isn’t stable. There really isn’t any advantage doing that way either. A gymnast would probably yell at him.

Easy to pull something? I was thinking more about the ball sliding away, and his face smashing into the ground with a good 40lbs accelerating his teeth at the floor.  Its pretty dumb and impractical really but to each their own

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I agree with your take on them being dangerous, especially for some random person just trying to do them after seeing this.  The shoulder is honestly one of the greatest engineering feats of all time because there isn't much holding it together and it is relatively easy to injure and if there is one joint you don't want to injure that would be it...

When I was in excellent shape my trainer had me attempt to do wall pushups where you put your feet up against the wall and are kind of in a handstand position and then you do pushups like that...I got 3 or 4 of them before I started losing my balance and almost fell over...told him he could go F himself and to never give me those again haha...we were super cool so we kind of always talked trash back and forth but I told him I didn't feel stable in my shoulders doing them and had an impingement issue in my 20s that cost me almost a year of training so he agreed that wasn't a good idea.

Yeah, man. I’m just getting back into it. I started training when I was 12 and I kept on training regularly until I was about 25-26. Anyways, alcoholism kicked in, gained a ton of weight and lost all my gains, did nothing for about 8 years until I started training again in January of this year (I’m 33 now), So I started walking every morning and weight training later in the day. Shed 55lbs in 3 months and I’m probably around 60% back to where I was. I wasn’t sure if muscle memory was a real thing or not but now I’m convinced it is. I had an unbelievable body at my peak, many people accused me of doing steroids but I was natural. It was a really hard, if not devastating thing for me to go through mentally when it came to gaining all that weight, it put me in a dark depression. Anyways, It’s just weird for me to go from being the fat guy, to the guy that girls are checking out and who dudes are pointing out to their friends and saying, damn that guy’s huge.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:06 PM, Draconator said:

This is absolutely insane. My arms hurt just from watching this. 

And people wonder why NFL players are fragile and snap like rubber bands just moving in the wrong direction, devoid of contact.

There is a weird obsession with raw strength and power in the NFL culture, when in fact guys should be more focused on flexibility. 

They all look fantastic and like gorillas, but do all of them need to look that way?  

Look at the injury rates around the league.  Guys should be doing yoga but that is not a part of the culture of the NFL.

Late to the party, but that definitely recruits way more stabilizing muscles, which makes it harder. It's also the dumbest exercise I've ever seen and if I ran a team and saw one of my athletes doing this I'd fire their trainer for them.

19 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I'm just here for all the fitness experts' views on Derrick Henry's terrible fitness regimen. 

It's definitely dumb to imagine that a human being who isn't an NFL player could know anything about fitness, which is why we shouldn't be allowed to criticize Moreno's foray into crossfit Henry's, er, bizarre choice of exercise.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:13 PM, Saint Doug said:

I would be more impressed if he wasn’t using the elastic band. Looks like it is providing some amount of energy to his upwards motion.

I do these to build stabilizing muscles around my shoulder, a long history of separations.

Now I don’t do a chain.  I also don’t do them on a ball, so what he’s doing is shoulder stability strength and crazy core stabilization.  Doing those on bands is hard enough, but to overload is truly impressive.

You can also do those on a Buso Ball and only have one foot down with the other stacked on it.  Also challenging, but if your shoulders are messed up, this helps quite a bit.