But can you do Derrick Henry push ups?

• Draconator changed the title to But can you do Derrick Henry push ups?

Those are very very dangerous. I do regular push-ups quite often and they’re an underrated exercise, especially for beginners or if you don’t have many weights around. NAVY SEALS do them, good enough for me, but the way he is doing them is very very dangerous.

1 minute ago, Saint Doug said:

I would be more impressed if he wasn’t using the elastic band. Looks like it is providing some amount of energy to his upwards motion.

Wrong. It creates instability that his body has to make up for and balance.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Those are very very dangerous. I do regular push-ups quite often and they’re an underrated exercise, especially for beginners or if you don’t have many weights around. NAVY SEALS do them, good enough for me, but the way he is doing them is very very dangerous.

and he has to exert extra effort & strength to offset this instability due to his body weight

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Agree on the creates instability

Not at all questioning you, but wondering if you could explain in more detail why you see what he's doing as very very dangerous?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not at all questioning you, but wondering if you could explain in more detail why you see what he's doing as very very dangerous?

It’s very easy to pull something. I’m surprised they let him do it at all. His feet aren’t stable and the bar isn’t stable. There really isn’t any advantage doing that way either. A gymnast would probably yell at him.

Hell, my wife does those after her morning yoga class...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

No doubt that while going down there’s instability, especially while going down, which takes energy on Henry’s part to counteract. But he’s getting assistance going upwards. You can see the band contracting during his upstroke. That’s giving him assistance. This is high school physics. In fact, I bet he’s expending more energy down down than up, despite the show chains. 

Edited by Saint Doug

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He’s spending more energy stabilizing his body that pushing upwards, which is likely the easiest part of the exercise. Your body does unstable things while trying to stabilize. I’m sure his agent called him after this post.