Share a story that reveals your Bills dedication

24 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I was there. I was so sick for that game, I remember my beer freezing in the bottle while drinking it. Crazy.

I still remember the odd, dead, “echoey” sound the ball made when either team punted. Regardless of whatever they did to keep it warm on the sideline, it must have been a frozen brick by the time they kicked it. 

My dad wasnt a football fan. I grew up near NYC. Since my fandom wasnt inherited, I had my pick of teams to root for. I couldve chosen to root for the Giants - a winning franchise. Heck I couldve rooted the Cowgirls, since there were plenty of those fans around even in NY. Instead I chose to root for the blue-collar city and the underachieving franchise instead. Almost 40yrs of misery. Ive never wavered, and id pick them again every single time. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I was there. I was so sick for that game, I remember my beer freezing in the bottle while drinking it. Crazy.

I was too. Were you one of the guys with your shirts off during that game? Maybe that’s why you were sick. 🤣

17 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

I was too. Were you one of the guys with your shirts off during that game? Maybe that’s why you were sick. 🤣

nah, i just drank and got high before the games, nothing crazy during the games. I made sure I was as comfortable as possible inside the stadium

19 hours ago, transient said:

I bought tickets for the family for Christmas- Per the Bills website, #2 coldest home game in Bills history- “Dec. 26th 1993 – vs. N.Y. Jets, 9 degrees, wind chill of minus-28”. Our drinks, hot chocolate and Jameson included, would turn into slushees within 5 minutes. I froze my foot so bad that the sensation in it wasn’t the same for a least 5 years afterwards. I forced everyone to stay until the last whistle.

Was with ya that day. Brought Jack D and Cognac to tailgate because beer froze within a minute. Had a great barrel fire that day....

12 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

What a story!

Looking back I was my brothers guinea pig on many occasions.  I've took a tumble in the dryer, slid down laundry shoot (lucky we had cloths at the bottom) floated in a little plastic boat and over a falls at a creek near our house. Pissed on the ground near an electric fence where electric current was going through it. Just to name a few.

I must have been dedicated to staying alive through it all. Older brothers, geesh 

Edited by Figster

January 1991 found me in the middle of the Arabian Desert.  

We had no television reception where I was at.  Even if we did, we had no tv sets.   We had army FM radios but these were only good for talking with each other.  A very few guys had short-wave radios but they found very little to listen to on them.  Mostly stuff from Baghdad Betty telling us that our wives and girlfriends had already moved on and that giant moving sand dunes would bury us in our sleep, forgotten and alone.  

Well, even though I wasn't assigned a HUMVEE, I had one (long story).  So in the weeks prior to the Super Bowl, as I went around my duties visiting other units, I asked everyone I came across if they had a radio that actually received anything American.  Nothing  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  

For the first time ever, the Bills were going to Super Bowl and I had no way to watch the game, no one way to listen.

One of my own soldiers had a shortwave radio.  It was my best hope.  The day of the Super Bowl, I spent hours manipulating the nobs and antennae, trying to pick up something - to no avail.

Frustrated, I sacked out in my sleeping bag (often called a "fartsack" by soldiers) on my cot.  Later a soldier on "radio watch" woke me up and said, "Sir.  Wake up!  Wake up!   The Bills just won the Super Bowl!"  

"What?  Are you sure?"  As a snake-bitten Bills fan, the news was very welcome but hard to believe.

"Yeah.  I'm sure."  And then after a pause.  "Well, I don't know.  For just a minute or so I picked up the BBC World Service.  The static was pretty bad.  But I think they said the Bills won on a last second field goal."  He wasn't a Bills fan but knew how maniacal and devoted I was.

I spent the next few hours, while the rest of our cavalry troop slept, frantically playing with the dial of the shortwave radio searching, hoping and waiting for confirmation.  

I'm still waiting.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I was in Tokyo in 2005 and woke up from my hotel room at like 3am  or so to attempt to watch end of Bills @ Dolphins game.  You couldn't get on phone  then and my hotel's business center wasn't open. Went to another hotel and paid to use internet to not even watch but track the ending and they lost on last second Rosenfels to Chambers TD. At least I can remember easily the time period  I went Japan now from that game  , ha.

Edited by boco357
  • Like (+1) 1

Honeymoon day just landed in Hawaii 1st thing we did, wife took a nap and I watched the Bills beat the crap out of the jets, Eric Moulds went off that game! Really set the mood for me 😆 

• Like (+1) 1

My son was due in 2001, opening weekend. We knew my wife was having a c-section and therefore we could choose the date. I insisted on the week before, wanted no chance of him be right on time and missing the game or of needing to be in the hospital and missing the game. My wife was fine with it and went along.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

My son was due in 2001, opening weekend. We knew my wife was having a c-section and therefore we could choose the date. I insisted on the week before, wanted no chance of him be right on time and missing the game or of needing to be in the hospital and missing the game. My wife was fine with it and went along.

My daughter was born in 2001 as well (in October).

Funny story about my daughter. During the drought years in her early teen years, we had just lost another heartbreaker. She looked at me and said something like, “Why are we Bills fans again?” She got through it, she’s a big fan. She couldn’t even eat the day of the AFC Championship Game.

A huge shout out to all the parents that helped their kids become bills fans. That takes A LOT of dedication!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1