Draft Compensation Question: Why is everyone applauding the Fins for their trade down?

16 minutes ago, klos63 said:

The Dolphins have 4 of the first 50 picks. Could end up with top OL, WR, TE or RB in the draft with 2 high first round picks.

True, but they had three first round picks last year and, even though it's early, it looks like they might have whiffed on all three--and it was a good draft year.  

15 hours ago, klos63 said:

The Dolphins put themselves in the position to the kill the next couple drafts, after having drafted 6 of top 70 picks this past season. If this were the Bills , everyone would be thrilled.

Exactly.  People would be posting pics of their new Beane tattoos if he amassed this many early picks.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, mannc said:

True, but they had three first round picks last year and, even though it's early, it looks like they might have whiffed on all three--and it was a good draft year.  

It really doesn't look like that at all. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Exactly.  People would be posting pics of their new Beane tattoos if he amassed this many early pics.

That's for sure.

Miami has one big question.  Is Tua good enough?

They could of stayed at 3 and got the QB table scraps this year and hoped he was better than Tua.

They chose to make the move they made which IMO was all about the Tua question.

Whether or not they can have enough capital to get a QB a year from now is academic.

BUT they sure have a lot more capital with a 2023 1st!

As for this future considerations are not worth it that is debatable by a lot of factors.

If Beane could trade a 3rd round pick for a 1st round pick 2 year in the future and did that over and over..........he'd be a fool not to!

Miami is in a good situation and I hope they screw it up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

That's for sure.

Miami has one big question.  Is Tua good enough?

They could of stayed at 3 and got the QB table scraps this year and hoped he was better than Tua.

They chose to make the move they made which IMO was all about the Tua question.

Whether or not they can have enough capital to get a QB a year from now is academic.

BUT they sure have a lot more capital with a 2023 1st!

As for this future considerations are not worth it that is debatable by a lot of factors.

If Beane could trade a 3rd round pick for a 1st round pick 2 year in the future and did that over and over..........he'd be a fool not to!

Miami is in a good situation and I hope they screw it up.

I think the most likely scenario is that Tua doesn’t look bad, but looks just good enough. An Andy Dalton type situation. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the most likely scenario is that Tua doesn’t look bad, but looks just good enough. An Andy Dalton type situation. 

A most definite possibility.  It seem like Miami is considering that and has tried to prepare IF that's true.

If Beane picked Rosen instead of Allen (like the majority of this board wanted) but put himself in position to fix it he could

of survived it.

36 minutes ago, klos63 said:

It really doesn't look like that at all. 

Which one of their first rounders last year was good?  Tua and the CB they drafted were awful.  Do you think Jackson is good?

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

Which one of their first rounders last year was good?  Tua and the CB they drafted were awful.  Do you think Jackson is good?

Tua was hardly awful. Rookie QB coming off a major injury/surgery. He wasn't dynamic, but he was mostly pretty solid. 

I'm not vouching for this site, but here's a Miami take on the draft. And they had more picks after the first round, which according to this article, they hit on.

https://www.305sports.net/grading-the-miami-dolphins-2020-rookie-class/

I think you're looking at this through Bills colored glasses, as many fans do.

Do you think Epenesa was a bust, Moss? Fromm?

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Tua over Herbert

giphy.gif

Jackson @18 'needs time to develop'

giphy.gif

Igbinoghene didn't get enough snaps to even qualify as one of the worst corners in the league and now enters his second year competing w Nik Needham and others in the slot

U3nv5.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

21 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

The Jests gave the Colts two 2nd rounders in the same draft year and one second rounder the next year to move up from 6 to 3.

The Fins got a 2023 first rounder and a third round comp pick this year.

I usually use a rule of thumb where a draft pick next year in round X is roughly worth a draft pick in round X-1 this year unless we are talking about a top 5 or top 10 pick. There is no way a 2023 first rounder (two years hence) is worth more than a second rounder in  the 2021 draft. So the Fins at most landed a second and a late 3rd for giving up a third overall for a sixth overall.

Shaking my head since every analyst is lauding the Fins.

Not that I am complaining. I do like it when AFCE opponents overpay or under-receive, though I would have liked it if the Colts did not get so manty cheap assets. In contrast, the NFC benefited from the Fins' largesse.

Edit: Went over to the Fins' message boards and a good chunk of them hate the Philly trade. Feel the fins were fleeced. The Iggles message board is gaga about the trade. Says something I think.

Their trade to move back seemed good to me...to move up again was a head scratcher. If you're not picking a QB...who are you targeting there? 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Tua was hardly awful. Rookie QB coming off a major injury/surgery. He wasn't dynamic, but he was mostly pretty solid. 

I'm not vouching for this site, but here's a Miami take on the draft. And they had more picks after the first round, which according to this article, they hit on.

https://www.305sports.net/grading-the-miami-dolphins-2020-rookie-class/

I think you're looking at this through Bills colored glasses, as many fans do.

Do you think Epenesa was a bust, Moss? Fromm?

Dude, Tua sucked so badly that the Dolphins considered Rosening him.  He has zero elite QB traits.  The cornerback was flat out awful.  I suppose Jackson was OK since he started. Obviously the jury isn’t completely in, but those three picks were f-Ing bad, especially when you consider that the passed on Herbert.

I was not talking about their later round picks.

21 hours ago, Logic said:

I don't want to answer for the person you're asking this of, but...

In reading through interviews with GMs and personnel men over the years, I have found that this is a pretty standard way of looking at future picks. A 2022 3rd is considered the equivalent of a 2021 4th, for example.

I’ve heard this too, but the second round is divided into halves and the first into thirds.

15 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Phins praised for brilliant trade, trading down and accumulating picks. Twenty minutes later Phins praised for brilliant trade, trading up and giving up picks.

thats the problem Your looking at it as 2 separate transactions when this was a 3 way deal that just got announced in a split up way.

22 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

thats the problem Your looking at it as 2 separate transactions when this was a 3 way deal that just got announced in a split up way.

I understand that, I’m not talking about how I looked at it, so called pundits and fans here in South Florida reacted that way.

19 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Tua over Herbert

giphy.gif

Jackson @18 'needs time to develop'

giphy.gif

Igbinoghene didn't get enough snaps to even qualify as one of the worst corners in the league and now enters his second year competing w Nik Needham and others in the slot

U3nv5.gif

The Dolphins. :lol:

All this draft capital is great. But it only tells me they value Tua over anyone not named Lawrence or Wilson. The🐬 were lauded for moves made last year, but they are seemingly quick to move on from coaches and players. That lack of continuity will hurt them again this year. Particularly if the union wins and mini camps are all virtual. If your good continuity wins the day. Teams like the Bucs and Bills will benefit. 

I don’t hate their compensation. They will have an extra first in 2023 and an extra third in 2021 for three draft spots. That extra future first allows the Fins to keep flexibility for a future trade up if Tua is a bust while also helping their current fortunes by staying in a position to still get an elite talent in this years draft. 

It wasn’t a huge haul but it was a good gain that makes sense for them.