Sammy Watkins to Ravens

21 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

To sign with the Ravens and take 6M for 1 year means his market was pure trash, as it should be.

I said this earlier, but a pretty huge fall from grace. This contract value basically means that the chiefs would rather have anyone else as their WR3 than Watkins.

It’s not even the money. He eats up a roster space and often an active game day spot, as when he does play, he is often hobbled/less than 100%.

I thought at the time KC signed him, it was overpay.....and in retrospect it was a major overpay....oddly, the offense metrics were better with him on the field than not...but I think KC could have found a no.2 WR for 1/3 the cost and been fine.  .....a wierd but true stat.  KC, with Sammy made 3 consecutive AFCCG appearances, winning 2 of those and 2 super bowls, winning 1 of the 2.  

Maybe he's a good luck charm or something.  

Not that it matters here....alot of fans in KC upset we haven't signed a "no.2" WR this offseason so far.  I'm kind of glad they haven't.....I tink you can put a bargain FA on the roster and Mahomes will help the stats...but there is only so many targets....Hill, and Kelce take up alot...and KC spreads it out quite abit beyond that....no reason to expend substantial resources on a guy that would be the 4th option most weeks.

He'll do well in B'more.  .....thing about that team...it's offense sputtered not because of lack of WR...it needs 2 high end TE's to run well....they should have gotten one of Junnu Smith or Hunter that NE got.

Only 27 and 4th team already. With only a one year contract, it wouldn't be a surprise that he will become a free agent again at the end of the season and sign with team number 5 for the 2022 season. 

Edited by Curt
Mistake

50 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I thought at the time KC signed him, it was overpay.....and in retrospect it was a major overpay....oddly, the offense metrics were better with him on the field than not...but I think KC could have found a no.2 WR for 1/3 the cost and been fine.  .....a wierd but true stat.  KC, with Sammy made 3 consecutive AFCCG appearances, winning 2 of those and 2 super bowls, winning 1 of the 2.  

Maybe he's a good luck charm or something.  

Not that it matters here....alot of fans in KC upset we haven't signed a "no.2" WR this offseason so far.  I'm kind of glad they haven't.....I tink you can put a bargain FA on the roster and Mahomes will help the stats...but there is only so many targets....Hill, and Kelce take up alot...and KC spreads it out quite abit beyond that....no reason to expend substantial resources on a guy that would be the 4th option most weeks.

He'll do well in B'more.  .....thing about that team...it's offense sputtered not because of lack of WR...it needs 2 high end TE's to run well....they should have gotten one of Junnu Smith or Hunter that NE got.

one thing KC and Buffalo fans can mostly agree on is what a waste of Watkins was.  That the chiefs didn’t even seem to offer him the same pretty measly deal that Baltimore gave him shows Me too it wasn’t really about money. 

To your point, a rookie or bargain vet at the WR 2 spot is perfect. You already have Kelce and Hill as basically your 1/2, Hardiman for a few other targets, and can you use your backs well in the passing game. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to invest more money in your O skill players. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

😆 How do you fully guarantee 80% of a contracts worth for a guy with his injury history? Kudos on his agent's part in the deal.

Because it's a 1 year contract and it's guaranteed if he gets anyway?

8 hours ago, Process said:

Probably the last place sammy wanted to sign given he's already had to suffer through Tyrod. But decent signing for the ravens. 

Didn't Sammy have his best years under Tyrod? 

6 hours ago, TBBills said:

Whaley just had to have his WR... Draft a QB in the worst year to draft one, trade up to draft a WR in a great WR draft year.

The fact that they could've had Mack is what really angers me. That's who I wanted the whole time and I'm just a fan. That pick would've made a lot more sense. It was like fate..

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The fact that they could've had Mack is what really angers me. That's who I wanted the whole time and I'm just a fan. That pick would've made a lot more sense. It was like fate..

Yes because he was their #1 WR. I think in this offense everything goes through the TE. 

Fixed

Another weapon for MVP Lamar Jackson to ignore on the outside ;)

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

That kind of stuff should be kept in the locker room ;)

• Haha (+1) 3

12 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

😆 How do you fully guarantee 80% of a contracts worth for a guy with his injury history? Kudos on his agent's part in the deal.

Thats why he was still available March 26th ;) 

I wish him well but between always being hurt and Lamar throwing minimally outside he won't be doing much but running and blocking.