It’s nice to not give a ***** this time of year

Virgil

While I love the NFL draft and Free Agency, can I just say how nice it is to not actually give a ***** about anything going on right now in the league?

I remember being surprised when coaches were getting fired because we were still playing.  The season ended for us, and it was as if football ended for me.  I didn’t want Brady to win, but I also didn’t care much about the game.  I wasn’t watching to see what we were missing or how far we had to go. 

When FA hit, I was honestly only nervous about losing Milano and our offensive line, quickly forgetting we have a wizard GM.  I didn’t blink an eye with all the signings the Pats made.  In fact, I laughed when they re-signed Cam and moreso wonder how all these new guys will fit into that culture.  In my opinion, they didn’t go to buy in, they went to one of the few teams that could pay them over multiple years.  They don’t scream “culture” guys to me.   Plus, the Pats were more than a few players away from us after that last beat down. 

For being a top 4 team, to be able to bring pretty much everyone back while the Chiefs and Ravens lost players, makes me feel pretty good.  

With the draft, I can’t say any of these guys stand out to me and I haven’t care enough to research yet.  Yes, I will get going on the mock draft, but it’s amazing to not even have to think about the QB decision.  There are thousands of fans on edge hoping their top 5 pick will pan out.  

Me?  I will be fine with BPA, whoever that is.  Personally, I think I’d like a DB opposite Tre, as I don’t see a lot of difference makers still there at other positions when we are up.  I’d love Pitts, but that’s not happening.  

Anyways, here’s to not giving a ***** and the off-season not being the only place we can win.  To Beane for making it all relaxing. 

• Like (+1) 17
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

That’s the truth. 

It is such a nice feeling knowing that we are a complete team and not a team needing a complete overhaul. It gives the off season a better vibe. 

To know that we can take BPA with our first round pick and that our first round pick is so far down the board that the “BPA” will actually be a group of five or so players is nice. I’ll be fine with whomever Beane picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Agreed. 

I noticed this when I just didn’t have the motivation of the past to write up off-season plans because unlike the past I am comfortable with this leadership GM and roster. 

also I noticed with how strange this year has been my draft prep was really hard due to the weirdness of the College COVID season. Just been a real F’d up year and the way the Bills are set up and run was a pleasant break and I know my temperament if it went bad this season I would have gone all scorched earth on my offseason breakdowns but glad I didn’t have too. And hopefully won’t have to for the next Decade plus. 

being up against the cap with a 15 win (one win away from SB appearance) and knowing really only up against it because of the reduction is a lot easier to handle than being up against it with a 6 win roster. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

What an outstanding post.  I feel the same way.

Just to add - it's kind of amazing how quickly I've gotten used to being in this position.  Maybe it's the desire to get away from how things felt previously as quickly as possible.

I commented on another thread, but watching the Pats is complete deja vu to roughly 4-5 seasons during the Bills drought.  A ton of early FA activity, us talking ourselves into the idea that it would make us a contender - even without a good QB - and also having to pay a little more just to get players. And to me, it seems like every move they make is geared toward trying to beat the Bills.

It's been such a quick "how the turntables" that I can only smile whenever I think about it.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

What an outstanding post.  I feel the same way.

Just to add - it's kind of amazing how quickly I've gotten used to being in this position.  Maybe it's the desire to get away from how things felt previously as quickly as possible.

I commented on another thread, but watching the Pats is complete deja vu to roughly 4-5 seasons during the Bills drought.  A ton of early FA activity, us talking ourselves into the idea that it would make us a contender - even without a good QB - and also having to pay a little more just to get players. And to me, it seems like every move they make is geared toward trying to beat the Bills.

It's been such a quick "how the turntables" that I can only smile whenever I think about it.

I 100% agree.  After all this time, I expected this turning point moment.  If I had to pick, I'd say it was the win in Pitt last year that sealed the playoffs for us.  I happened to be at that game.  In fact, I'd say it was the moment they played renegade.  The old Bills would have collapsed and it would another story for the factory of sadness.  But we hit a deep shot on the next play and stepped on their throats. 

I've been waiting for the wheels to fall off and we just keep winning.  Every time a moment, like the Hail Murray occurred, I'd think "here come the same old Bills, then we win out the rest of the season.  In waiting to fall apart or take a step back, we arrived. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Virgil said:

While I love the NFL draft and Free Agency, can I just say how nice it is to not actually give a ***** about anything going on right now in the league?

I remember being surprised when coaches were getting fired because we were still playing.  The season ended for us, and it was as if football ended for me.  I didn’t want Brady to win, but I also didn’t care much about the game.  I wasn’t watching to see what we were missing or how far we had to go. 

When FA hit, I was honestly only nervous about losing Milano and our offensive line, quickly forgetting we have a wizard GM.  I didn’t blink an eye with all the signings the Pats made.  In fact, I laughed when they re-signed Cam and moreso wonder how all these new guys will fit into that culture.  In my opinion, they didn’t go to buy in, they went to one of the few teams that could pay them over multiple years.  They don’t scream “culture” guys to me.   Plus, the Pats were more than a few players away from us after that last beat down. 

For being a top 4 team, to be able to bring pretty much everyone back while the Chiefs and Ravens lost players, makes me feel pretty good.  

With the draft, I can’t say any of these guys stand out to me and I haven’t care enough to research yet.  Yes, I will get going on the mock draft, but it’s amazing to not even have to think about the QB decision.  There are thousands of fans on edge hoping their top 5 pick will pan out.  

Me?  I will be fine with BPA, whoever that is.  Personally, I think I’d like a DB opposite Tre, as I don’t see a lot of difference makers still there at other positions when we are up.  I’d love Pitts, but that’s not happening.  

Anyways, here’s to not giving a ***** and the off-season not being the only place we can win.  To Beane for making it all relaxing. 

I hear what you're saying but it would be a stretch for me to say that idgaf about anything going on in the league right now.  A combination of retirement, draft, trade rumor, free agency and lawsuit surrounding the QB position around the league has been really interesting. But I'm not stressed about anything Bills related. We're in a great place coming off a season that was more successful than I expected. If anything I've been pleasantly surprised with our free agent signings.

8 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I hear what you're saying but it would be a stretch for me to say that idgaf about anything going on in the league right now.  A combination of retirement, draft, trade rumor, free agency and lawsuit surrounding the QB position around the league has been really interesting. But I'm not stressed about anything Bills related. We're in a great place coming off a season that was more successful than I expected. If anything I've been pleasantly surprised with our free agent signings.

You're right and that's more how I talk.  I still care and can't wait for the draft, but it's not the highlight of my year anymore.  I'm not smashing F5 to see if we have a chance.  I'm not waiting for a move that's going to deem the season hopeful or over before a snap.

I trust the process 100% and am at the point where anything less than Super Bowl contention would be an upset for me.

Edited by Virgil

48 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Agreed. Such a weird feeling. How about that nervous/scared feeling when you know you are losing all your best players in free agency? 

Just now, Virgil said:

I 100% agree.  After all this time, I expected this turning point moment.  If I had to pick, I'd say it was the win in Pitt last year that sealed the playoffs for us.  I happened to be at that game.  In fact, I'd say it was the moment they played renegade.  The old Bills would have collapsed and it would another story for the factory of sadness.  But we hit a deep shot on the next play and stepped on their throats. 

I've been waiting for the wheels to fall off and we just keep winning.  Every time a moment, like the Hail Murray occurred, I'd think "here come the same old Bills, then we win out the rest of the season.  In waiting to fall apart or take a step back, we arrived. 

Yep - that post hail-mary run was what proved it to me (and I'm sure all of us).  That game, me & my kids were all like, "here we go...Bills probably gonna collapse now."  And instead, it just fueled them, and they won everything in sight.  They actually made me GLAD about the "hail Murray."

November & December last year were right there w/ my 2 best months as a sports fan. There is really nothing like establishing a negative expectation for your team after 2 decades, and having that team just smash it to pieces, leaving no doubt that things have changed, and you have to adjust to a new & better reality.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

You're right and that's more how I talk.  I still care and can't wait for the draft, but it's the highlight of my year anymore.  I'm not smashing F5 to see if we have a chance.  I'm not waiting for a move that's going to deem the season hopeful or over before a snap.

I trust the process 100% and am at the point where anything less than Super Bowl contention would be an upset for me.

We're on the same page. Good times.

FA re enforces depth.  Draft the best players that fit the offense and defense.  Buffalo is poised to improve. Truely, best player at 30 should be the pick.  Oline, Dline, LB, Rb, Wr, Te, Db it doesnt matter. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I remember....

I'll do you one better; it's nice to not have to worry about our GM drafting the next Aaron Maybin when we do finally get to pick.

9 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I'll do you one better; it's nice to not have to worry about our GM drafting the next Aaron Maybin when we do finally get to pick.

Too soon man.  Too soon.....

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Oh come on we all want to go back to having multiple high draft picks and tons of cap space... this winning in the fall and resigning our own players just doesn’t  make winning the off season fun anymore 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

I can remember so many seasons where the Bills were essentially out of the playoff race by Halloween or, if things were going really well, by Thanksgiving.

Instead, this year I had the distinctly weird experience of reading about teams' end-of-season pressers, fired coaches, new coach hires, and released players, all while still watching the Bills play football three playoff weekends in a row. It was WEIRD. 

Also, having the Bills season end in the AFCCG has made this offseason/run-up to the draft seem much shorter than usual. Instead of studying draftable players since the fall, I only just started in the first week of March. What lunacy!

I admit that it took some adjustment to go from "the offseason is the most fun part of football!" to "the actual FOOTBALL is the most fun part of football", but here we are. I hope to continue to be "bored" by the offseason for the next 20 years. 

• Like (+1) 3