TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - Complete

Virgil

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks as always for putting this together. It’s always a fun few threads as we wait for the real draft.

Seems like you already have a solid team of helpers, but if you need any more help or last minute subs or anything, don’t hesitate to ask!

Question:

Since Beane has been here, have we always met with the players we draft in the first two rounds?  I want to put together a solid list of BPA when the Bills are up. 

@YoloinOhio @Reed83HOF

You all know?

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Question:

Since Beane has been here, have we always met with the players we draft in the first two rounds?  I want to put together a solid list of BPA when the Bills are up. 

@YoloinOhio @Reed83HOF

You all know?

I don’t know how much more likely they are to get someone they met with, but here is a helpful list regarding that:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/03/2021-nfl-draft-bills-prospect-meeting-tracker.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Question:

@YoloinOhio @Reed83HOF

You all know?

As far as their allotted official 30 visits:

In 2018, Bills did not meet with Edmunds.

In 2019, Bills did not meet with Ford.

In 2020, Bills did not meet with Epenesa (but: COVID).

As far as chatting with them in passing or at the combine....that may be a different story and is harder to track.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

As far as chatting with them in passing or at the combine....that may be a different story and is harder to track.

Well, there goes that theory.  Thank you 

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Question:

@YoloinOhio @Reed83HOF

You all know?

Not 100% sure off the top of my head, but here is what I do know:

1.) They like younger players so older guys 24 are out

2.) They like underclassmen, I think Moss was the only Sr they have drafted

3.) Positional value in relation to the round and expected playing time is important

4.) Early rounds, they like players who can contribute right away

5.) They are not bound by conference or strength of opponents

6.) They value intangibles (leadership and team over me)

7.) Physical specimens with athleticism 

8.) Need to be smart as far as xs and os. Not afraid to say they made a mistake on a play when reviewing it with them. Can breakdown film

9.) If they have ties to a player or know about his makeup, that will give an edge over another player.  

For point #3, here is an example:

Our offense is a pass based offense and I'm not sure they want to run more, but they want to be better at it when they do. RB since Shady left has been 3rd rounders and cheaper vets. The overall positional pay for RB vs the salary cap is very low, hence we dont swing on big RB FAs and do you want to take the ball out of Josh's hands more than we do now?

So while we love Harris as an every down back, Moss can give us some of what he does. Etienne can give us a lot in the pass game, but is that along the lines of what Beane has shown thus far? Or does a Kenny Gainwell make sense?

9.) Asante Samuel Jr.; Sr played for Sean in Philly. This cannot be discounted.

My advice look for players described above and for a position that can actually make a difference this year. IIRC, that is roughly what Beane said when trading for Diggs last year...

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

They met with Ford...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Not 100% sure off the top of my head, but here is what I do know:

1.) They like younger players so older guys 24 are out

2.) They like underclassmen, I think Moss was the only Sr they have drafted

3.) Positional value in relation to the round and expected playing time is important

4.) Early rounds, they like players who can contribute right away

5.) They are not bound by conference or strength of opponents

6.) They value intangibles (leadership and team over me)

7.) Physical specimens with athleticism 

8.) Need to be smart as far as xs and os. Not afraid to say they made a mistake on a play when reviewing it with them. Can breakdown film

9.) If they have ties to a player or know about his makeup, that will give an edge over another player.  

For point #3, here is an example:

Our offense is a pass based offense and I'm not sure they want to run more, but they want to be better at it when they do. RB since Shady left has been 3rd rounders and cheaper vets. The overall positional pay for RB vs the salary cap is very low, hence we dont swing on big RB FAs and do you want to take the ball out of Josh's hands more than we do now?

So while we love Harris as an every down back, Moss can give us some of what he does. Etienne can give us a lot in the pass game, but is that along the lines of what Beane has shown thus far? Or does a Kenny Gainwell make sense?

9.) Asante Samuel Jr.; Sr played for Sean in Philly. This cannot be discounted.

My advice look for players described above and for a position that can actually make a difference this year. IIRC, that is roughly what Beane said when trading for Diggs last year...

Thanks boss.  I really don’t like what I see in Harris.  I know I’m in the minority and will probably be wrong.  

I know we don’t play zone a lot, but I would love a big bodied DB hybrid that can cover TE’s 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Thanks boss.  I really don’t like what I see in Harris.  I know I’m in the minority and will probably be wrong.  

I know we don’t play zone a lot, but I would love a big bodied DB hybrid that can cover TE’s 

So how much will this player be on the field every game? Playing time vs asset is big for beano. Why would u waste a rd 1 or rd 2 pick on a player who will play 5 snaps a game or will be a matchup guy in 2 games a year? Not saying I disagree with you, but this is how they think.

Not pointing a direction on anything either. If they feel a player will push them over the top, esp in rd 1 or 2, Beane will go get him. I used RB as an example above, but if Beane feels one of those 2 will push us over the top, he will take them.

TE is iffy and Friermuth, maybe someone they could snag to develop, but again look at expected contribution vs rd1 a TE in RD1 is unlikely, those guys take 3 years to develop...

The last couple years Beane has plugged every hole he could going into the draft so he can target players and positions (based on value)...

They believe in both lines and being tough up front, getting pressure with the front 4 to use the other 7 in coverage and they like zone CBs, but if McD could get a physical man corner, he might bite. Not all draft picks will make this team

Oh I would also add that this is a strange year with scouting and covid, look for schools where we have relationships with them, we will be leveraging them with little face time this year...

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Broncos Cowboys Packers

This second Moderna shot is no joke.

I go for my 2nd one on the 5th...that rough?

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

So how much will this player be on the field every game? Playing time vs asset is big for beano. Why would u waste a rd 1 or rd 2 pick on a player who will play 5 snaps a game or will be a matchup guy in 2 games a year? Not saying I disagree with you, but this is how they think.

Not pointing a direction on anything either. If they feel a player will push them over the top, esp in rd 1 or 2, Beane will go get him. I used RB as an example above, but if Beane feels one of those 2 will push us over the top, he will take them.

TE is iffy and Friermuth, maybe someone they could snag to develop, but again look at expected contribution vs rd1 a TE in RD1 is unlikely, those guys take 3 years to develop...

The last couple years Beane has plugged every hole he could going into the draft so he can target players and positions (based on value)...

They believe in both lines and being tough up front, getting pressure with the front 4 to use the other 7 in coverage and they like zone CBs, but if McD could get a physical man corner, he might bite. Not all draft picks will make this team

Oh I would also add that this is a strange year with scouting and covid, look for schools where we have relationships with them, we will be leveraging them with little face time this year...

I'm talking about a DB who may be on the larger side and can support covering a TE.  I'm thinking they would be our #2 DB

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I’ll take the Chargers my friend. 👍

Already taken)

57 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I will take the Lions please

Already taken

@Victory Formation@Just Joshin'@Reed83HOF

Please look at the main page to see who is still available. 

Reed, you didn't ask for anyone, but you know you're in if you want

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thanks! I don’t get off the plane til 8:30pm pst

Rams have a day 2 pick.  They are yours. 

Edited by Virgil

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Gimme whatever

I might use you like I do myself,  filling in for the last available teams or if people don't make their pick.  I like to let newcomers into the first mock draft and see how they do.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Ravens if they stay unclaimed.  Do you have any preference?

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Broncos Cowboys Packers

This second Moderna shot is no joke.

2nd one on 1 April. Not looking forward to it. 1st shot floored me too. I always react bad to every flu shot I have ever taken as well so they warned me I likely will feel both. 1st one reaction was like a bad flu for 24 hours then just generally worn out for another 48. Then nothing Just some arm pain. Hoping shot 2 isn’t worse.