Dolphins trade 3rd pick to the 49ers for 12th pick, 3rd round pick, two future 1sts (per Schefter)

Logic

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

What are the 49ers doing? They're pulling a Jets. 

Trading up to #3 to select either the 2nd or 3rd QB off the board with no idea who exactly will be on the draft board. Is it possible they know who Saleh and the Jets will or will not take at #2 because of his connections to the 49ers? 

I have no idea, someone might get froggy and offer the world for the 2nd pick

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Fair point. But you have to admit that it is awfully weird that one very elite school has had so many NFL misses. It's not like these other schools recruit as well or have as highly touted and highly performing college QB's as Ohio State.  Haskens, Fields, Troy Smith, Cardale Jones, Pryor, Braxton Miller, even Kenny Guiton. These guys all kill it in college, and then many of them are rated as very good pro prospects, and none panned out.  It's very odd to me. 

Not really that weird considering their offenses have for decades and various HCs been  - except for 1 year with Troy smith - very conservative when it comes to being passing oriented. Troy smith wasn’t even recruited as a QB So that wasn’t only a fluke, he was never considered an NFL Qb. They couldn’t get elite NFL type Qb talent to go there. Until now... which is all Ryan Day. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

I have no idea, someone might get froggy and offer the world for the 2nd pick

Possible. My gut tells me your Jets are not taking a QB at #2. I wonder if the 49ers know that and are thinking they have their pick of the field at #3 after Lawernce is taken.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Possible. My gut tells your Jets are not taking a QB at #2. I wonder if the 49ers know that and are thinking they have their pick of the field at #3 after Lawernce is taken.

I would be fine either way, i think Carolina decides to make the jump, i would love some serious draft capital!

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Possible. My gut tells me your Jets are not taking a QB at #2. I wonder if the 49ers know that and are thinking they have their pick of the field at #3 after Lawernce is taken.

Nope.  The Jets would have traded that pick to SF if they weren't going to take a QB.  I'm sure SF inquired.

1 minute ago, Bleedingreennc said:

I would be fine either way, i think Carolina decides to make the jump, i would love some serious draft capital!

I agree. Different situation since the Jets do have the #2 overall pick whereas the Bills only had the #10 overall pick, but in McDermott's first draft they passed on a QB and went into the season with Taylor knowing he likely was not the long-term answer. Jets can do the same. Build up the talent this year in other spots and take the young QB in year 2. And with the way things are playing out maybe next off-season will be the year to go after Watson.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And there were zero successful Texas tech, Wyoming, cal, Louisville QBs

If they just use the initial of your last name.... yeah you were probably successful. If you want to ignore everything from before 1990 or some other arbitrary date well I can't argue with you there.

image.png.79770f20e1b785b0a642d5ca710cac76.png

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not really that weird considering their offenses have for decades and various HCs been  - except for 1 year with Troy smith - very conservative when it comes to being passing oriented. They couldn’t get elite NFL type Qb talent to go there. Until now... which is all Ryan Day. 

you know the team better than me. But Terrell Pryor was arguably the most hyped future NFL superstar recruit out of High School in my lifetime. He had some great passing seasons at Ohio State too under Tressell. And even guys like JT Barrett had 3,000 yard passing seasons.

I do think back when those earlier dual threat players were coming out (Smith and Pryor), the NFL was much different. If Pryor came out today, you wonder if he would have been developed into a very good/great NFL QB.   

11 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Bye bye Garropolo?    read here though that he was an excellent QB and just hasnt been given the right opportunity by Shanahan