Bills keen on Alabama RB Najee Harris, per NBC Sports and Tony Pauline

Logic

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Imagine you are every other afc team on draft night and goodell annnounces “With the 30th overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select Najee Harris, Running Back, University of Alabama.”

I see a lot of DCs swearing, breaking things, and lighting that “blueprint” they’ve been working on all offseason to stop the Bills offense on fire. 

Oh offseason fantasies that never translate to the field......

In reality those DC's are saying thanks for not picking a top quality OL who might actually improve their line of scrimmage deficiencies of 2020 and instead drafting yet another 4.5-4.6 speed runnin' back who is now so invested-in that you will feel inclined to take the ball out of Josh Allen's hands more often than you should.

3 hours ago, DJB said:

I absolutely agree that we need to be much better on D. However our biggest need of a DE isn't going to be available at 30. We need a corner as well as a big nickle and perhaps one of those players are available. 

I just hope we draft the best value player on the board and not reach for a need. Najee could very well be the BPA at 30. 

Good thing BPA trumps need.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Good thing BPA trumps need.

And “needs” are ever evolving because you can’t forecast injuries  so outside of QB and specialty positions like K or P, you pick the highest player on your board. That’s what you spent months upon months building. When you get to the late rounds and the lines blur between players you might dip into different positions for “need” (like Beane said they did with Dane Jackson last year)

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

When will Najee run the 40? will he do it before the draft?

I don't think he's expected to run and he shouldn't feel the need to do so. Everyone knows he's likely a 4.55ish guy.

I wouldn’t hate going with Harris if he really is the best player on the board and there isn’t a trade down available. The number one need this team has is a pass rusher but at pick 30 that isn’t going to come easy. So if they think Harris adds a needed component to the offense then I am fine with it.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:36 PM, Turk71 said:

Adequate quantity and variety at rb?

Who is the Bill's power back? 205lb Moss?

What you need is a 3 down guy who can do it all. Then you're never signalling your intentions.

Quantity and variety? How about the things that matter the most, talent and team fit? 

Harris would be a beast in a spread offense, forcing defenders back into the box and opening up the field. The guys the Bills have need more run blocking focus and the Bills line isn't built for that.

I'm not saying the Bills should necessarily move up for him, but if he's there at 30.....

If the Bills don't go RB in the first 3 rounds, there's a couple of guys under the radar that might fit the bill. 

Kylin Hill has been mentioned. Here's another one: Deon Jackson, 5' 11", 218lbs, 4.32 40. 

Ok production at Duke for a guy that shared the load. Upside of the that is not a lot of wear and tear.

Seems to have good hands and is dynamic on wheel and go routes.

One cut runner gets up field quick and is an effective short yardage back. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea......my fear is they will draft Harris and go back to more of a balanced/run dependent offense and in turn take the ball out of the best player on the fields hands(Josh Allen)more often than they should.... I can’t see offensive line honestly. They seem to love Ford and investing in a high pick at offensive line could suggest they are waving the white flag on him.....I don’t see them going there yet. 

My hope is simply BPA no matter the position... Beane doesn’t really go that route though. He more do goes BPA at a position of need. 

I don't really expect OL but we were in the "what would opposing DC's think about the Bills pick" realm of imagination.

It's a relatively strong draft for OT and WR.  

Typically, positions of strength like that will lead to several instances in that draft where that position has the BPA when you pick.

I could see them selecting an OL to compete for the RG position now and eventually be capable of succeeding Williams or Dawkins. 

Job 1 of this organization has to be to keep Josh Allen healthy and productive.........teams are going to want to load up on defensive pieces to pressure and disrupt Allen and his receivers.......the easiest way to counter a myriad of high quality additions to opposing defenses is to field an exceptional OL and continue to give him extra time to throw anyway.      

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

If the Bills don't go RB in the first 3 rounds, there's a couple of guys under the radar that might fit the bill. 

Kylin Hill has been mentioned. Here's another one: Deon Jackson, 5' 11", 218lbs, 4.32 40. 

Ok production at Duke for a guy that shared the load. Upside of the that is not a lot of wear and tear.

Seems to have good hands and is dynamic on wheel and go routes.

One cut runner gets up field quick and is an effective short yardage back. 

Every year some relative nobody RB(or multiple) that no draftnik was really too excited about comes into the NFL and produces like you'd hope your early rounder would.

James Robinson for Jax was that guy last year..........everybody who hates drafting RB's early and was playing with mock drafts was at least occasionally throwing him into their 6th or 7th round.........never sooner........and he comes in and puts up numbers on a terrible team that you'd think only a player like that Najee Harris or Etienne could.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Every year some relative nobody RB(or multiple) that no draftnik was really too excited about comes into the NFL and produces like you'd hope your early rounder would.

James Robinson for Jax was that guy last year..........everybody who hates drafting RB's early and was playing with mock drafts was at least occasionally throwing him into their 6th or 7th round.........never sooner........and he comes in and puts up numbers on a terrible team that you'd think only a player like that Najee Harris or Etienne could.

The misnomer about RB's being a dime a dozen is that you can find one in the late rounds. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will... But this guy, with a name like Deon Jackson. I'm just saying. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

The misnomer about RB's being a dime a dozen is that you can find one in the late rounds. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will... But this guy, with a name like Deon Jackson. I'm just saying. 

I like to say they are still a half dozen for a dime............but even the 1st round RB's for the past couple decades have been more miss than hit.

The question is if your organization is comfortable turning over the position a lot.

A guy like Jackson can probably give you some good football............he is a one-speed back though so it's probably not going to be a long tenure...........but how long do you expect to get out of guys like Etienne and Harris who have already put in around 800 touches in the past 3-4 years?    Sometimes they arrive in the league already in decline nowadays.   Not the same athletes playing the position anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

When will Najee run the 40? will he do it before the draft?

Don’t expect it.  Running the 40 could only hurt him and with his ankle injury - he should not risk it.

Most “experts” have him pegged at a mid 4.5 range.  Right at that lower end between not being fast enough for NFL and being alright.

His power, leadership, and catch ability make up for some of the lack of speed.  The issue becomes when in the NFL he is running behind a lesser offense line against DL and LBs with more speed than in the collegiate game - can he excel or does he become another mid level RB.  What really is his NFL expectation: 600 yards max as a rookie (McDermott will only platoon him in year 1) and then what?

I just don’t know and I don’t think a 1st round pick with the 5th year option is the place to find out.  If we move back to the top of the second - he is more worth it - 4 year initial contract and you can replace him.

If I am picking someone in the first round - I want to draft someone that will use the 5th year option and you want to sign to a 2nd contract and I really don’t like that option with RB.  Initial contracts and cheap FA pick-ups are where we should be spending in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2021 at 9:47 PM, Motor26 said:

They just signed Breida. I think they’re set on running back by committee this year. Their offensive line isn’t even good at run blocking, seems like a waste of a pick. They have bigger holes on the dline as well as #2 CB and would like to see them pick up a mauling IOL. 

To me it looks like they are filling holes in the roster with inexpensive veterans, who can do the job and have a track record.  That leaves them the option to do more BPA or not to have a hole in the roster if their targets in the draft get taken before our pick.

• Like (+1) 1