Bills keen on Alabama RB Najee Harris, per NBC Sports and Tony Pauline

Logic

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

My only counter to that is Harris/Etienne are weapons in the passing game.  They’re not just runners.   Singletary became straight shenanigans in the passing game last year and it hurt us in the most inopportune times. 

I think using the term "weapons in the passing game" makes it seem like the returns in giving RB's touches are much greater than they are.

25 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Because all of the DE’s suck so they have to go either RB, CB, or WR and you’re not getting the best one at 30.

They could easily go DT or OG with a strong bit on CB

If Zaven Collins falls definite possibility

I think trading up in the first round is out

After the signing of Brieda I think it became a lot less likely because Maas is a hammer and breida is the speed

We are not talking about T.J. Yeldon when it comes to Brita he is better than that

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They could easily go DT or OG with a strong bit on CB

If Zaven Collins falls definite possibility

I think trading up in the first round is out

After the signing of Brieda I think it became a lot less likely because Maas is a hammer and breida is the speed

We are not talking about T.J. Yeldon when it comes to Brita he is better than that

Apparently there isn’t a DT worth taking at 30. That’s what others here have said. My gut tells me that we’ll have to move up at least 3 or 4 spots because I don’t see the 4 QB’s going first. I could see ATL and Carolina passing in Fields. That could end up screwing us up a bit.

12 hours ago, Logic said:

In before 43 more people say "it's a smokescreen". I'm not saying it's NOT a smokescreen, by the way.

For what it's worth, Benjamin Albright, who is right about the Bills more often than he's wrong about them come draft time, has also heard that the Bills are looking running back at 30. 

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't have a horse in this race either way.

Harris would be a great pick.  Him or Etienne.  Both are good in the pass game.  Etienne is a homerun threat from anywhere.  Harris has some good  playmaking skills too.  Folks should stop looking at them as RBs.  They are playmakers.  And the Bills roster is at the point they can pick one of these dudes if they want to.  Context matters.  An edge at 30 might not be the best player available in spite of the position being a bigger value.  Bills are in a Super Bowl window now.  Beane might not want a development guy in the first round and that’s what will be there at 30.  Epenesa and Johnson are already that player.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Logic said:

Funny thing is, one of the few people who DID see it coming was Benjamin Albright, who just so happens to be the same guy saying the Bills are looking RB at 30.

Also, I agree that Harris is the perfect fit for the Bills. Power backs go much better with spread offenses than speed backs. Come out in 10 or 11 personnel and the defense comes out in nickel or dime. Then you have a guy like Najee Harris back there and, well....the opposing defenders are gonna have to make some business decisions.

a RB and a DE...our D worked hard and played hard last yr but they spent whole games without getting much of a rush

1 hour ago, The Governor said:

Apparently there isn’t a DT worth taking at 30. That’s what others here have said. My gut tells me that we’ll have to move up at least 3 or 4 spots because I don’t see the 4 QB’s going first. I could see ATL and Carolina passing in Fields. That could end up screwing us up a bit.

Some one is going to fall that helps us....they always do

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's not a nerve.........it's just something we go thru every 2-3 draft seasons on here......there is always a different rationale........"the winning mindset" was a creative one......points for that:lol:.

Me pointing out how nonsensical drafting a RB is in round 1 is just part of "the process".   

First of all.......the further we get from the regular season the further removed fans get from what actually works on the field.

And I'm not saying that Beane won't make the mistake of misallocating a valuable asset.........he's made his share of mistakes like reaching past better players at more important positions to fill perceived needs at lesser ones with the likes of Cody Ford, Singletary, Moss etc.

But I do think that they are more likely to pick up a player at a more important position.      The financial pinch they are in will really limit their ability to re-stock much more important positions in the coming years.

And the idea that "well a RB can help right away and if you get 5 top years out of them....." just doesn't actually pan out because as the position has become devalued so has the overall quality of athlete playing it.    

With less than a full handful of exceptions......the lead backs of today would have been the Kenny Davises of yesteryear...........fine for a short period of time.......but not up to the task longer term.

Which is fine..........it's a passing league.........Josh Allen produces 8 yards on average every time he passes the ball.........Jim Brown couldn't make it worthwhile to take the ball out of his hands.     The difference between top backs and guys like Singletary and Moss is less than a measly half yard per carry.

Yes, but you don’t want to reach for a lesser prospect at a “more valuable” position either.  A so-so DE prospect isn’t (necessarily) a better pick than a very good prospect at a “lesser” position.

To be clear, I am not advocating for Harris or Etienne.

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I know it’s easy to make fun of now, considering the way WE ran the ball (or didn’t) late last year. I think he gets too much hate. The guy has averaged 4.8 YPC in 2 seasons in the NFL.  That is pretty impressive stuff. 

I don’t know what we do at RB, and we certainly have room for improvement, but he’s an NFL player. 

Singletary has become the latest TBD whipping boy.  It is an honor that has been bestowed on some really decent solid pros like Chris Kelsey and Shaw Lawson more recently.  Singletary was a a 3rd round pick who had a very good rookie year, but did suffer behind an OL that never settled in last year due to injuries and position swaps.

I don’t know why people seem to love to zero in on a particular player and decide that he deserves to be berated by fan board “experts”.  It seems to feed on itself as more people join into “player x sucks” and becomes emotional.

Is Singletary the best RB in the league?  No.  Does he suck? I don’t think so.  I think he has performed pretty close to expectations for his draft position.

• Like (+1) 3

Checked out his highlights and can see why they like him. Great balance and vision, hard to bring down and seems to always find some positive yards. He lines up out wide sometimes so he's a part of the passing game. Big dude too. I wouldn't hate the pick at 30 or maybe a few spots down into the 2nd if they think he'll be there. Get your guy and a few extra picks, that's never a bad thing. 

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Singletary has become the latest TBD whipping boy.  It is an honor that has been bestowed on some really decent solid pros like Chris Kelsey and Shaw Lawson more recently.  Singletary was a a 3rd round pick who had a very good rookie year, but did suffer behind an OL that never settled in last year due to injuries and position swaps.

I don’t know why people seem to love to zero in on a particular player and decide that he deserves to be berated by fan board “experts”.  It seems to feed on itself as more people join into “player x sucks” and becomes emotional.

Is Singletary the best RB in the league?  No.  Does he suck? I don’t think so.  I think he has performed pretty close to expectations for his draft position.

I really like Singletary for his attitude and some of his skillset but he is way too slow and not a hard enough runner to be effective as a bruiser.  He does nothing super well and that won't cut it.

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Tough to turn this around on the fans. Singletary was pretty inefffective and mostly deserved some critique. 

1 minute ago, RichRiderBills said:

Tough to turn this around on the fans. Singletary was pretty inefffective and mostly deserved some critique. 

Again, OL run blocking was pretty bad last year.  You might note that Etienne “regressed” statistically last year with a lesser OL than he had year before.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Some one is going to fall that helps us....they always do

Yes. Someone good could fall to 30, but someone GREAT could fall to 26 and I think it will be very difficult for us to stay put when that happens.

Edited by The Governor

I would love this.

My dream mock first 2 picks are:

Round 1. Harris RB Bama

Round 2. Elijah Moore WR Ole Miss

A defense would have to stop Diggs, Davis, Beasley, Sanders, Moore (Tyreek Hill 2.0) and if you want to drop 8 in coverage like these teams did against us? Fine. We’ll feed the beast Harris 30 times and shred you! (Think about what KC did to us here in Buffalo during the rain game.) o, and we have Josh freakin Allen who can’t be stopped either.

Give me Najee Harris and Elijah Moore and we will have the most talented team ever in Bills history IMO.

Edited by McBean
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Why would they do this

Harris probably won't make it past the Dolphins and Steelers. As much as I want to see Harris in a Bills uni, I don't want to see Najee Harris in a Dophins uni. If Miami pulls off both Pitts and Harris it spells double the trouble for Buffalo IMO.