Bills keen on Alabama RB Najee Harris, per NBC Sports and Tony Pauline

Logic

5 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Agree. Leaks rarely, if ever, come out of the Bills FO unless they purposely want something out there. They are as tight-lipped as it gets. They are taking an Edge or CB, IMO. I don't see a RB in the 1st Round. There will be better value at other positions.

I doubt they would select a RB but what I like about this FO is we won’t know until that night. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Everytime the Bills are interested or keen on a player it never seems to happen.  Take it with a grain of salt. 

They were keen on Ed Oliver.   Also were listed as high on Devin and Knox too.  Just saying, it’s not all been wrong

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

This is almost like drafting a RB in the 2nd round which I'm sure a lot of people here would feel better about.

Need to get used to this winning mindset. 

Name one RB that the Bills passed on that went in round 1 that you regret missing on.

Go back 30 years to 1990 if you'd like.

It doesn't happen.

And no,  the 30th pick is not almost a 2nd round pick.........having the 5th year option alone is a HUGE distinction.........especially if that player turns out to be someone who can man one of the "$20M+" positions (QB/PassRusher/LT/CB/WR1).

Wasting your top pick on a RB when you are about to enter a period where you are going to be tight to the cap for the foreseeable future is not so much a "winning mindset" as it is a shortsighted one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Name one RB that the Bills passed on that went in round 1 that you regret missing on.

It doesn't happen.

And no,  the 30th pick is not almost a 2nd round pick.........having the 5th year option alone is a HUGE distinction.........especially if that player turns out to be someone who can man one of the "$20M+" positions (QB/PassRusher/LT/CB/WR1).

Wasting your top pick on a RB when you are about to enter a period where you are going to be tight to the cap for the foreseeable future is not so much a "winning mindset" as it is a shortsighted one.

Hey man. I love you buddy.

I see your point and respect it.

Didn't mean to strike a nerve 

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It doesn't happen.

Totally agree.  You think the Chiefs don’t want a do-over on the Edwards Helaire pick?  An indulgent pick for a team that cut both its Tackles and desperately needs Corners and Linebackers.  
Please don’t take a RB in the first 3 rounds.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That’s easy - I’d be much happier if they had taken DeAngelo Williams or Joseph Addai over John McCargo in 2006 😁

Not that it was a binary choice.  Basically they could’ve taken anyone else.  Like Nick Mangold…

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Hey man. I love you buddy.

I see your point and respect it.

Didn't mean to strike a nerve 

It's not a nerve.........it's just something we go thru every 2-3 draft seasons on here......there is always a different rationale........"the winning mindset" was a creative one......points for that:lol:.

Me pointing out how nonsensical drafting a RB is in round 1 is just part of "the process".   

First of all.......the further we get from the regular season the further removed fans get from what actually works on the field.

And I'm not saying that Beane won't make the mistake of misallocating a valuable asset.........he's made his share of mistakes like reaching past better players at more important positions to fill perceived needs at lesser ones with the likes of Cody Ford, Singletary, Moss etc.

But I do think that they are more likely to pick up a player at a more important position.      The financial pinch they are in will really limit their ability to re-stock much more important positions in the coming years.

And the idea that "well a RB can help right away and if you get 5 top years out of them....." just doesn't actually pan out because as the position has become devalued so has the overall quality of athlete playing it.    

With less than a full handful of exceptions......the lead backs of today would have been the Kenny Davises of yesteryear...........fine for a short period of time.......but not up to the task longer term.

Which is fine..........it's a passing league.........Josh Allen produces 8 yards on average every time he passes the ball.........Jim Brown couldn't make it worthwhile to take the ball out of his hands.     The difference between top backs and guys like Singletary and Moss is less than a measly half yard per carry.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's not a nerve.........it's just something we go thru every 2-3 draft seasons on here......there is always a different rationale........"the winning mindset" was a creative one......points for that:lol:.

Me pointing out how nonsensical drafting a RB is in round 1 is just part of "the process".   

First of all.......the further we get from the regular season the further removed fans get from what actually works on the field.

And I'm not saying that Beane won't make the mistake of misallocating a valuable asset.........he's made his share of mistakes like reaching past better players at more important positions to fill perceived needs at lesser ones with the likes of Cody Ford, Singletary, Moss etc.

But I do think that they are more likely to pick up a player at a more important position.      The financial pinch they are in will really limit their ability to re-stock much more important positions in the coming years.

And the idea that "well a RB can help right away and if you get 5 top years out of them....." just doesn't actually pan out because as the position has become devalued so has the overall quality of athlete playing it.    

With less than a full handful of exceptions......the lead backs of today would have been the Kenny Davises of yesteryear...........fine for a short period of time.......but not up to the task longer term.

Which is fine..........it's a passing league.........Josh Allen produces 8 yards on average every time he passes the ball.........Jim Brown couldn't make it worthwhile to take the ball out of his hands.     The difference between top backs and guys like Singletary and Moss is less than a measly half yard per carry.

My only counter to that is Harris/Etienne are weapons in the passing game.  They’re not just runners.   Singletary became straight shenanigans in the passing game last year and it hurt us in the most inopportune times. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think the Moss injury hurt.... not a huge Moss fan but he’s better than Singletary who regressed last season and Moss was starting to come on towards the end of the year and in that playoff game against the Colts.....also McD hated Yeldon so the only time he played was when they had no choice and he flashed when given the opportunities....

Pretty sure Tre White was picked 27th overall....

Which isn't 30th? We don't have the 27th pick.  If we're referencing the 2017 draft, then we probably would have got the next CB after Tre with the 30th pick - Kevin King. That's a world of difference.

It's a random point to argue though so who knows. This draft will be different because of the amount of QBs taken in the 1st, so maybe you can still get a top CB with the 30th pick, but the history of that pick and DBs in particular is awful.

Edited by Nelius

I wouldn't hate it, I just worry that he doesn't really give our offense a new dimension. Everything I read about him says he's more of a grind out yardage kind of RB. We need a home run threat. I would much prefer drafting Etienne or just waiting until the 2nd and drafting Gainwell. In fact if I had to put an ideal Bills draft together it would be Rondale Moore in the 1st and Gainwell in the 2nd. Good luck opposing defenses.

That being said if Harris ends up being the next Derrick Henry or Nick Chubb it would be a great pick at 30, so as usual I'm not going to judge any pick before they've even taken a snap in the NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Who at OBD is using Tony Pauline to put out disinformation?  

I don't see this team going RB, but stranger things have happened.

This time of year believe absolutely zero about which player an organization is interested in.  The likelihood it's true is remarkably low.  

9 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Think anyone would do a 4th for Singletary?

I know it’s easy to make fun of now, considering the way WE ran the ball (or didn’t) late last year. I think he gets too much hate. The guy has averaged 4.8 YPC in 2 seasons in the NFL.  That is pretty impressive stuff. 

I don’t know what we do at RB, and we certainly have room for improvement, but he’s an NFL player. 

• Like (+1) 2