Bills keen on Alabama RB Najee Harris, per NBC Sports and Tony Pauline

Logic

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I just don’t get the love for this kid.  He doesn’t have NFL speed to me.  

Rumor has it he can run sub 4.4, read an article saying he ran a 4.45 at Alabama last year, that’s plenty of speed especially for his size 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I suspect so, either in the first or second round.  But they don't have the ammunition to move up very far.

They’ll have to get ahead of the Steelers if they want him. 

7 minutes ago, Success said:

Sign me up.

But there is really zero way to know what they'll do.  As has been stated, the current braintrust enjoys the smokescreen concept.

People keep saying this but there hasn’t been a single pre-draft smokescreen from this regime.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I don't believe any reports that claim inside knowledge of what the Bills will do. Any leaked information out of One Bills Drive was likely done on purpose to create more favorable trading terms.

14 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I'd say there was heavy "speculation" but I don't recall any reporter claiming to know what the Bills were going to do.  If I remember correctly, few fans and media had Josh Allen as the Bills prime target, and Ed Oliver was more logic than inside knowledge. 

Agree. Leaks rarely, if ever, come out of the Bills FO unless they purposely want something out there. They are as tight-lipped as it gets. They are taking an Edge or CB, IMO. I don't see a RB in the 1st Round. There will be better value at other positions.

• Like (+1) 1

To those of you at TBD who are much more football savvy than me, I’m a layman, no shame admitting that.  How do you feel about our run blocking and which type of RB to take and when?  

As a layman, at 30 I like going BPA and from what I’ve read and heard in various outlets, there’s not much difference between 30 and the next dozen (though if Harris is there great but I think we have to move up and I’d rather go down a little for an extra 3rd, get a big 1 technique DT earlier than later—here’s the Drafttek pick value link:  https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp)

Running behind a ‘Bama line and running behind the run blocking line we have is very different (our OL is last year’s, I assume with Ford, who many don’t seem to feel is the player we moved up to draft—as an OT mind you—think the Williams re-signing puts that to bed).

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I can’t tell if Harris is really good or not.  His OL was so dominant that he was untouched on many big plays.  He will definitely not be running through holes like he had at Alabama anywhere in the NFL and for sure not behind the Bills’ OL.

Fair.

What intrigues me about Harris is the speed and pass game ability he has at his size.

He’s not JUST a power back, IMO. He has the speed to get to the edge and he’s smooth in the passing game.

Again: I’m not passionate about it one way or the other. But if they want a potentially Pro Bowl level RB on a rookie contract for five years, I’m not gonna freak out. It’s not as if we didn’t all just watch our franchise QB be our ENTIRE running game in the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This would be a helluva early give-up on Moss. He's supposed to be an all-around back, too.

I'd imagine Harris at #30 means he's coming in as #1 RB, which then means he replaces Singletary.

Harris as your every-down back.

Moss as the change of pace thumper

Breida as the change of pace speeder

2 minutes ago, 4thandGoal said:

Again we dont need a RB,,, we need defensive line and a CB --- then maybe we can think of RB... 

Beane will likely go more towards BPA than reaching for a need. And for the talent in this draft, it looks more like an RB will be the smart pick late in the 1st than reaching for a second-tier DL. But anything is possible. Especially at #30.

Again I’ll say...

For being fans of a team whose franchise QB was their entire running game in the playoffs last year, Bills Mafia sure is hostile to the idea of adding a potentially elite RB.

I get the argument. “Poor value in the 1st”, “it’s the blocking”, etc, etc...

I’m just saying that there are worse things than getting elite running back play on a rookie deal (and for five years, too, since you get the fifth round option on 1st rounders). You’d think not having our star QB have to double as our RB1 would be a GOOD thing!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Again I’ll say...

For being fans of a team whose franchise QB was their entire running game in the playoffs last year, Bills Mafia sure is hostile to the idea of adding a potentially elite RB.

I’m just saying that there are worse things than getting elite running back play on a rookie deal (and for five years, too, since you get the fifth round option on 1st rounders). You’d think not having our star QB have to double as our RB1 would be a GOOD thing!

People are just being silly. Value doesn’t matter at all this year. We need 2 players from this draft that will help us get to the next step. It doesn’t matter at all “where” we draft these players.

The  only smokescreen here would be getting Javonte NC to slip to us. We’re definitely taking a RB.

Edited by The Governor
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair.

What intrigues me about Harris is the speed and pass game ability he has at his size.

He’s not JUST a power back, IMO. He has the speed to get to the edge and he’s smooth in the passing game.

Again: I’m not passionate about it one way or the other. But if they want a potentially Pro Bowl level RB on a rookie contract for five years, I’m not gonna freak out. It’s not as if we didn’t all just watch our franchise QB be our ENTIRE running game in the playoffs.

I won’t be distraught if they pick Harris, but I am skeptical that he will be more than an average NFL back, especially with the Bills weak run blocking OL.  With the re-signing of Williams and Feliciano, it isn’t likely that the run blocking is going to be much better in 2021.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Again I’ll say...

I have been a diehard Alabama fan my whole life and I love Najee Harris. I also think that Etienne has a chance to be special. That said, I think taking a RB in the 1st Round would not be the best allocation of resources. This is a predominantly 10 and 11 personnel offense and it does not need a 'bell cow' RB. There are guys with a gear that Singletary and Moss don't possess who will be available outside of the 1st Round. Williams, Gainwell, Jefferson, & Hawkins just to list a handful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I look at it this way..Bills are just 3 picks ahead of the 1st pick in round 2.

This is almost like drafting a RB in the 2nd round which I'm sure a lot of people here would feel better about.

I would understand if we were drafting top 15 but we are not.

Need to get used to this winning mindset. A lot of us still feel like we are the old Bills who always draft in the top half of the draft every year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Governor said:

People are just being silly. Value doesn’t matter at all this year. We need 2 players from this draft that will help us get to the next step. It doesn’t matter at all “where” we draft these players.

I’m not a card carrying member of the “never-rb-in-first” club.  I am just not sold that Harris (or Etienne) are really likely to be elite in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not a card carrying member of the “never-rb-in-first” club.  I am just not sold that Harris (or Etienne) are really likely to be elite in the NFL.

There arent many "Elite" RB's right now

CMC

Kamara 

Henry

Argument can be made for Cook and Chubb but aside from those 5, I dont know if I would call any others elite