NE Patriot player is honored for stopping assault in park

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31129410/new-england-patriots-justin-herron-hailed-hero-police-helping-stop-sexual-assault

New England Patriots reserve offensive tackle Justin Herron was honored as a hero by the Tempe (Arizona) Police Department on Wednesday for helping to stop an attempted sexual assault in a park four days earlier.

Police said a 30-year-old suspect was seen Saturday pushing a 71-year-old retired teacher to the ground. That's when Herron and a second man, Murry Rogers, intervened.

In this specific instance, I have no trouble saying something good about a NE Patriot player: "Well done, Justin Herron!"

Then there's this:

"You see it in movies and TV all the time, but you never think it's going to happen in real life until it does. In that moment, I was in shock," Herron said.

"It was 11, in the middle of the day, not one cloud in the sky and in a very open field. The fact it happened there, at that time, was very shocking. In the moment, I wish I could tell you what I was thinking. I just knew someone just needed help. All I could do was just rush myself over there to make sure I could help the victim and make sure I could comfort her and be the best person I can be."

Herron, who is 6-foot-5 and 305 pounds and set the Wake Forest record with 51 games started in his college career, said his size helped. "I'm a football player, so I'm kind of big," Herron said. "I try not to be too aggressive with people knowing I could potentially hurt somebody. I do have a very loud voice, so all I did was just yell, tell him to get off her, and then yanked him off. And I told him to sit down and wait until the cops come."

11 am on a sunny day in an open field?   Yikes.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Beast said:

I thought this would be a Teddy Bruschi for a quick second.

In old timey broadcaster voice. "Its 4th and 2 patriots trying to close this one out. Wait, wait... teddy brushi is walking into the stands. HE'S WALKING INTO THE STANDS.. He appears distressed and looking for something. Teddy is... flying.... TEDDY IS FLYING OUT OF THE STADIUM FOLKS!!! It looks like he landed in what is a nearby park. And, im having trouble seeing but I think teddy just, yes, YES teddy just stopped wat seems to be a potential assault of a civilian. and here comes Teddy back into the stadium with the suspect and he MADE THE TACKLE FOLKS, HE MADE THE STOP!" 

I miss those segments on wgr 😆. The Marty Biron impressions were great too. Seriously though Herron is a hero though and awesome job.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Good on him! 

but the pats will likely cut him now that he is proven to be a honest and good human being...

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Really? 

Nah, just in his highly filtered and selective view

He's also conflating attention with discussion.   The controversy quotient matters to discussion levels, and it's just not here.   I mean, what's controversial about two guys stopping the sexual assault of a 71 year old former teacher in an open meadow of a public park in broad daylight?  Everyone is glad he did it, even if he is a Patriot*** football player.  Everyone is shocked that the assault was so brazen - you can suggest that perhaps an elderly person should not be perambulating a public park at 4 am or 11 pm, but 11 am on a sunny day is unexceptionable.

The story has all the feels and non of the controversy, so aside from a few jokes about Bill cutting an honest and courageous man, what's to discuss?