[Name Only Title] Aldon Smith

40 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Why can’t people ever start threads like this without saying something completely idiotic. He would in no way be anywhere near our best pass rusher since Bruce, he probably wouldn’t even be the best pass rusher on our 2021 roster. 

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

So we can get this guy cheap ????

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

Go check the stats.. besides Bruce and one year of Bryce Puap who is better than Aldon Smith. Don’t say Aaron Schobel or Kelsey.. Aldon Smith minus the other problem is a hall of fame talent and would be the best pure pass rusher on this team. Again high risk, high reward.. Wr have a bunch of guys.. no game changers.. We need one..

This is like saying if we signed Demarcus Ware, he would be the best pass rusher we’ve had since Bruce Smith.  In his prime, yes, he would be.  Just like a smith.  They are not in their prime....no he wouldn’t be our best pass rusher since Bruce. 

We’re talking about 2021 aldon smith, not 2010. We’ve had several pass rushers better than 2021 aldon smith 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Last year, he had 5 sacks but they all came in two games.  He had 12 solo tackles last year, 11 of which came in one game.  

When Dallas declines to re-sign a troubled defensive lineman, that should give you pause.  They love those guys.  

right, he did nothing the last half of the season.

50 minutes ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

THis guy was on a hall of fame pace.. We all know what happened to him over the last three years. But this guy can play. Last year with the Cowboys was solid. He would be the best pass rusher we have had since Bruce Smith. High risk ... high reward. His talent is undeniable and could take this defense to the next level.. Minimum veterans salary with a lot of incentives for production. Let’s go Bills

I know you are taking some shots on this and I admit I was skeptical.  So I went and took a look.   He's still very effective.   

Check out You Tube.  Why Aldon Smith is the Comeback Player of the Year Front-Runner | Baldy Breakdowns - YouTube

No idea why I can't cut and past the link

Edited by buffalostu2

Some folks have a switch where they can turn the crazy on and off.... Others don’t. The guys in the later camp often don’t perform well when they’re behaved off the field as they lose their edge completely. A Smith is likely one of those guys which is why I’d pass unless he signed cheap enough to throw away, especially since he’s older now. 

I’m not against bringing in someone of course if they upgrade the pass rush. Obada has some real breakout potential but I get why people want someone established already, 

Questions are ... How many defensive linemen are we gonna carry? 
Do we need a new thread for each free agent we like? 
We cutting Addison for this new linemen? 
Can they play special teams like Johnson and Obada so they can be active on gameday? 
Sooo many questions. So little time. Can’t believe the OP didn’t explain all this. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Why can’t people ever start threads like this without saying something completely idiotic. He would in no way be anywhere near our best pass rusher since Bruce, he probably wouldn’t even be the best pass rusher on our 2021 roster. 

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Two problems with the ops post 

1) if I give you a smilely face he gets one also

2) if I am not mistaken we only have 90 spots know till end of training camp and 55 for roster less game day roster. This is not college football

Edited by scuba guy

I do believe we need to get rid of this thought that we won't sign 'questionable players', we tried to sign Antonio Brown. I live in Pittsburgh and his behavior is well documented so Beane knew what kind of person he was. With that being said, im not sure we have the room on our roster nor would they be interested in Smith. He is older now and did flash last year early. The big question, as stated earlier, is why Dallas of all teams not resigning him if he wasn't too big a risk?

Feels worth mentioning that Obada -- whom most on this board consider a project/lottery ticket type player, had a better sack/plays ratio than Aldon Smith did last year. Is he HOF caliber?!?!?

In all seriousness, this is the type of guy you can bring in on a 100% prove-it, 0 second chances, crazy amount of scrutiny type of deal only. If he wants to come here and fight for a roster spot while making the veterans minimum, take a pee test daily, have the Bills monitor him 24/7, then sure, let's take a flyer because yes, at one point he was great

All that said, I don't see him being willing to put up with all of that. Like others have said, if he's not a good enough culture fit for the Cowboys, he's an awful fit for us...

As others have said, I would pass on this guy despite a high-level of talent. Too much risk and not enough process.

Not much left on the 4-3 DE market though. Costs are high and the DE pool is pretty shallow according to all of the draft sites and magazines.

Two guys I would love the Bills to go after in some kind of trade scenario.

Brian Burns

• He is a Carolina Panther
  • He is 22 and on a rookie deal. Seems to be a star in the making that gets sacks and forces fumbles.
  • I wonder if Carolina would love to jump and snag the #4 spot from Atlanta.  The draft charts say they would need 400+points.
  • The Bills would give up #30 (worth about 620) points and their 3rd to Carolina.  Carolina takes these picks and their #8 pick to move to Atlanta's 4th pick
  • Because Burns is such a talent, the Bills give up next year's 2nd rounder and one of their 5th's this year.

Carolina gets Fields or Lance at #4, a 2nd rounder in 2022, and a 5th.

Atlanta starts their rebuild with Carolina's 8th and 30th pick from Buffalo. They also get the Bills 3rd rounder.

Buffalo gets their top DE on rookie deal. They save a little cap money by trading that 1st and 3rd this year.  2nd round pick on a CB/RB/TE.  Remaining picks on depth.

Danielle Hunter

• This is all predicated on his medicals. This guy is a top 10 DE if he is healthy.
  • Vikings are a middling playoff level team. Hunter is only going to cost a lot more. Bills and Vikings had a positive trade with the Diggs trade last year.
  • If he clears medicals, Bills offer their 1st and 5th this year.  They offer their 2nd next year.
  • If he appears to be more of a risk, Bills offer their 2nd and 5th this year.
  • Again, this is predicated on his medicals as well as how confident the Vikings are that they are an NFC contender the next 3 years.

Just thoughts.

L

On 3/26/2021 at 9:59 AM, kirkwoodus13 said:

High character... the last time I check the kid QB from Georgia is still on the team.. Stop judging people you don’t know.. We are trying to win games. I am talking from a football point of view. Are we confident with our defensive line as constructed right now?

Folk just think he’s on the team, has anyone seen him? Does anyone even talk about him except on this forum? He’s the ghost in the basement with a red stapler on his desk...,

oh and that other guy your talking about..., not a chance in hades is he even a far flung consideration, even when Beane was drunk and taking Xmas pictures...

On 3/26/2021 at 10:09 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Huh? Fromm?  When did he commit like 10 off-field incidents, including multiple drug and domestic violence offenses?  

Yeah, but he said something racially insensitive, which to the woke crowd, is apparently worse than actual criminal activity. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 3/26/2021 at 9:59 AM, kirkwoodus13 said:

High character... the last time I check the kid QB from Georgia is still on the team.. Stop judging people you don’t know.. 

HAHAHA.  You are literally saying “stop judging people you don’t know”, and then judging a college kid for making an immature and ignorant comment, in the same sentence. Beautiful. 

• Like (+1) 2