Jaran Reed replacement for Star?

Reed looks like he might be released by Seattle. I'm not sure what wizardry Beane would need to do to get this done, but it would help us immensely IMO. Last year, and it still continues now, I can't even count the amount of times people have said, "Player Y would have been better if Star took up space in the middle", "Star would have taken 2 blockers here", etc. Star is a nice player but for someone who does one thing, the fact that it was the opinion of many that he was the biggest difference maker in this type of defense, means we need to have someone to replace him after he's cut or retires after next season. Reed would be a Reed would be a great option IMO. Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

It really doesn’t make sense to sign a FA this season to replace Star next season.  I expect us to draft a player to develop this season and take over for him - probably next season.

This is the way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Maybe at the right price.  He's big but not huge, if that's the coin of the realm for this discussion.  There's definitely a few guys in the draft that could fill Star's role, especially after a year of NFL training and diet.  I assume that's Beane's plan.  God help us please can we get to the draft

17 minutes ago, BeastMode54 said:

Reed looks like he might be released by Seattle. I'm not sure what wizardry Beane would need to do to get this done, but it would help us immensely IMO. Last year, and it still continues now, I can't even count the amount of times people have said, "Player Y would have been better if Star took up space in the middle", "Star would have taken 2 blockers here", etc. Star is a nice player but for someone who does one thing, the fact that it was the opinion of many that he was the biggest difference maker in this type of defense, means we need to have someone to replace him after he's cut or retires after next season. Reed would be a Reed would be a great option IMO. Thoughts?

Star will be on the Roster this year. He will cost more against the Cap if Cut. Is Reed and upgrade I am not sure. I personally never liked Stars contract for what he is. He does what he is very well. But think was and still is Overpaid. 

but with the Restructure and the Opt out he is here this year based on his contract. Only way to save Cap without star is a trade. So Beane would have to work his trade magic again here. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Star will be on the Roster this year. He will cost more against the Cap if Cut. Is Reed and upgrade I am not sure. I personally never liked Stars contract for what he is. He does what he is very well. But think was and still is Overpaid. 

but with the Restructure and the Opt out he is here this year based on his contract. Only way to save Cap without star is a trade. So Beane would have to work his trade magic again here. 

At one time yhe Bills had to overpay to get players. Not so much anymore. 

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Star will help because he has size that no other player on the roster has. He very well may allow Oliver to be more impactful. I don’t think his absence was the reason Edmunds regressed. I am hoping it was mostly injury but worried he just isnt that good.

Butler is a big boy but he's more of a slasher type, better suited at 3tech. 

People seem to forget the defense really improved throughout the year. They were legit top 10 by the end of the season. Lack of meetings and injuries hurt them. Edmunds was one of the ones playing hurt. 

Their final 6 games last year they gave up 94 yards rushing on average. And technically they really only had 1 terrible game vs the run the final 8 regular season games vs Arizona. Most of those yards were from Kyler Murray. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

nice player but wont work due to the commit to Star and Butler - look at the their dead cap and the potential new salary and itsover budget...Edmunds and Milano missed tackle percentages where very high last season, dont have the correlation to prior season to compare Star versus no Star...but beyond the run defense the middle of the field pass coverage was bad last season as well and Star is not going to help with that...no interior pash rush is part of the problem and we overlook that because we primarily expect that from the edge and end up having to blitz which opens coverage holes...

3 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

but beyond the run defense the middle of the field pass coverage was bad last season as well and Star is not going to help with that...no interior pash rush is part of the problem and we overlook that because we primarily expect that from the edge and end up having to blitz which opens coverage holes...

Except Star will help with that too... because it’s means interior players aren’t playing out of position anymore.... 

10 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

nice player but wont work due to the commit to Star and Butler - look at the their dead cap and the potential new salary and itsover budget...Edmunds and Milano missed tackle percentages where very high last season, dont have the correlation to prior season to compare Star versus no Star...but beyond the run defense the middle of the field pass coverage was bad last season as well and Star is not going to help with that...no interior pash rush is part of the problem and we overlook that because we primarily expect that from the edge and end up having to blitz which opens coverage holes...

I do agree that interior pass rush was a major issue last year. The guy they just signed Obada actually did most of his work as an inside pass rusher. I'm guessing he's going to play a major role there. I would like to add a veteran inside though. Ed Oliver needs to step up IMO. 

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Except Star will help with that too... because it’s means interior players aren’t playing out of position anymore.... 

Star is not going to be on the field much. So he's not going to help that much. Obvious run downs sure, but 2nd and long and 3rd down look for him to be watching. 

1 hour ago, BeastMode54 said:

If it will be thru free agency-- worry about that next year or better yet -- draft someone this year.   Just say NO

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Star is not going to be on the field much. So he's not going to help that much. Obvious run downs sure, but 2nd and long and 3rd down look for him to be watching.

He will be on the field for about 50% of the snaps on defense per data from both years he has been in Buffalo. 

If 50% of the snaps isn’t that much then sure... 

Edited by JGMcD2

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

He will be on the field for about 50% of the snaps on defense per data from both years he has been in Buffalo. 

If 50% of the snaps isn’t that much than sure... 

Probably in the 40's more likely. Most of those snaps run situations. 

Just looking at some data he started the year in 2019 doing 42%, 40%, 34%, 40%, 44%, 40% and then jumped up higher to average well over 50% the rest of the year. 

We had injuries at 1 tech that year with Phillips. I don't know if the plan will be to limit star like early in 2019, my guess is yes. I think that's what McDermott wants to do as long as the depth is there. I think they want to play Star at 40%, especially 2 years later. 

I think we draft a 1-Tech on either day 2 or 3 that will be groomed as Star's replacement. Tyler Shelvin, Marvin Wilson, Tedarrell Slaton, Neil Farrell Jr., or Bobby Brown III are the guys I would expect us to grab from.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1