NFL extends Int’l Pathways Program to a third year - Positively impacts Christian Wade

On 3/26/2021 at 8:38 AM, Rochesterfan said:

He retired from rugby.  Wanted something new - it does not mean he could not go back.

This is true.  28 years after retiring from the 49ers, OJ Simpson again picked up a football and attempted to run with it in Las Vegas.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

There are two really loud Christian Wade factions…

1) The group that believes Christian Wade is a NFL running back right now and needs to make the roster and the Bills are doing him a disservice by keeping him on the practice squad.

2) The group that believes Christian Wade is not good at all and will never be good and is wasting a spot for someone else and they’re tired of hearing about him (thanks group #1). 

Both sides are out of touch and don’t understand the purpose of keeping Christian Wade around. 

Exactly, no one could possibly have any clue what level of skill or talent this guy possesses. Only the team knows that. 

There are just two things that are clear to me:

1. He doesn't take up a roster spot, so he's sort of like a free RB option.

2. Time and energy are the most valuable assets, so he must be showing the team SOMETHING that makes them want to invest in him. He's most assuredly not just "a guy."

And this is speculation on my part, but I would believe that since he doesn't take up a roster spot, that demotivates the Bills to move him out of his current designation, as long as he qualifies for the program. Personally, I believe he would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he's better than Singletary and Moss to make the roster right now.

Edited by CheshireCT

1 hour ago, CheshireCT said:

Exactly, no one could possibly have any clue what level of skill or talent this guy possesses. Only the team knows that. 

There are just two things that are clear to me:

1. He doesn't take up a roster spot, so he's sort of like a free RB option.

2. Time and energy are the most valuable assets, so he must be showing the team SOMETHING that makes them want to invest in him. He's most assuredly not just "a guy."

he is not a "free RB option."  When designated for the program, he can not be activated to the 53 or play in any regular season games.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Renewed life for the “Wade is a future HOF talent” crowd …. 

I'm definitely not one of those BUT it would be cool if he could get called up with these new rules for a hopefully meaningless NY Jets

game to end the season.  If he took some snaps it would sure bring in a lot of British fans for Buffalo.

I think that would be OK.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm definitely not one of those BUT it would be cool if he could get called up with these new rules for a hopefully meaningless NY Jets

game to end the season.  If he took some snaps it would sure bring in a lot of British fans for Buffalo.

I think that would be OK.

Yeah, but you would have to plan that out 3-4 weeks in advance- and cut someone to move him to the regular PS.

• Agree 2

This is great news for Wade. With his shoulder injury he is already missing a huge opportunity to show his improvement in preseason. But if he can keep his exemption and possibly be elevated it at least gives him a slim chance.

I honestly feel like this needed to be done for the IPP players. Obada is the exception but otherwise IPP players have found it hard to get playing time.

I don't think a third year on the PS will be of any interest to Christian Wade, or the Bills.

It's really now or never this year for him, he either makes the 53-man roster, or is picked up by another NFL team, or else the dream is over.

If he wants to stay in the US, he could probably get an offer of $50,000 to join New York in next season's Major League Rugby, but that would be peanuts compared with the $500,000 he could get from any English Premiership club, and we at Wasps would certainly welcome him back with open arms.

Difficult decisions ahead. I'd say he needs to really shine in at least one pre-season game, so that the Bills see that they have to keep him.

6 hours ago, bargepole said:

I don't think a third year on the PS will be of any interest to Christian Wade, or the Bills.

It's really now or never this year for him, he either makes the 53-man roster, or is picked up by another NFL team, or else the dream is over.

If he wants to stay in the US, he could probably get an offer of $50,000 to join New York in next season's Major League Rugby, but that would be peanuts compared with the $500,000 he could get from any English Premiership club, and we at Wasps would certainly welcome him back with open arms.

Difficult decisions ahead. I'd say he needs to really shine in at least one pre-season game, so that the Bills see that they have to keep him.

If it wasn’t of interest- why did he resign here and why did they sign him?

I would say - my guess is he will also sign up for being exempt after the preseason - as he is injured and very unlikely to be able to show much in the next 2 weeks.

If I had to guess - I expect him and Williams to both be on the PS and him to have the IP designation and to not dress at all again this year, but get paid once again.  

I really don’t think the decision will be very difficult at all for any involved.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1