NFL extends Int’l Pathways Program to a third year - Positively impacts Christian Wade

People upset about this should look at it this way:

Would you rather have him on the Exempt PS list again or off the team completely? His best case scenario IMO was earning his way on the Practice Squad, unexempt this time.

And even that seemed like a longshot when you consider Antonio Williams is above him on the Practice Squad, they brought in Devonta Freeman down the stretch last year so that even *Antonio* didn't see the field, we signed Breida, and we're almost guaranteed to Draft a RB somewhere between Rounds 1 and 7 (and a later Round pick could end up on the Practice Squad as well). 

On 3/26/2021 at 6:52 AM, YoloinOhio said:

this is bad news for Wade. Now he may be ineligible all year again. How many years does a team need to see of a player before they know it is over. At Wades age two may have been limit. In Wades eyes maybe he wants team to make a decision or he moves on. Now team may try to stash him again in the Int' program.

Maybe team wants to bring in other now and stop teasing Wade. Might be time for him to return to rubgy. Even though he says he is retired for good from that sport.

Edited by cba fan
  • Eyeroll 2

36 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Would you rather have him on the Exempt PS list again or off the team completely? His best case scenario IMO was earning his way on the Practice Squad, unexempt this time.

And even that seemed like a longshot when you consider Antonio Williams is above him on the Practice Squad, they brought in Devonta Freeman down the stretch last year so that even *Antonio* didn't see the field, we signed Breida, and we're almost guaranteed to Draft a RB somewhere between Rounds 1 and 7 (and a later Round pick could end up on the Practice Squad as well). 

I don’t think anyone’s upset. I’m fine with the bills having essentially zero cost associated with controlling an extra piece of talent... But on some level I think you cycle new guys into the opportunity based on what the program is.

the dude turns 30 this off-season. If he sticks in the program the full year again we are talking about a 31 year old running back with zero Nfl snaps. I’m not sure that’s a great success even in the best case of competing for a roster spot

but maybe a younger guy could parlay the opportunity into a bit more of a career instead of a fun jaunt working out overseas for decent money.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

How is it any way a positive for CWade to be indentured to the Bills for a third year?  The man should have a chance to play for a team that wants him.  This is just so wrong.

Nobody forced him to enter the program.  He could have come  to the States on his own. But he wouldn't have even gotten as far as the practice squad. Oh, you have also heard about contracts and collective bargaining etc? 

On 3/27/2021 at 3:47 PM, cba fan said:

this is bad news for Wade. Now he may be ineligible all year again. How many years does a team need to see of a player before they know it is over. At Wades age two may have been limit. In Wades eyes maybe he wants team to make a decision or he moves on. Now team may try to stash him again in the Int' program.

Maybe team wants to bring in other now and stop teasing Wade. Might be time for him to return to rubgy. Even though he says he is retired for good from that sport.

He only becomes ineligible if he agrees to it. I can't understand why so many people don't get that.

On 3/28/2021 at 11:29 PM, Tuco said:

He only becomes ineligible if he agrees to it. I can't understand why so many people don't get that.

Why do you not understand the bolded point? 

That is not how program has ever been described. Unless you are saying like any player you can walk away from football at any time. Or you are going with a player telling a team they do not want to go on the Int pathway exempt list and team does the honorable thing granting him his release via waivers. Which I think most teams would do for this situation. Bill Belicheck evil emperor maybe being the exception.

?? https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/4/1/22360642/buffalo-bills-running-back-christian-wade-granted-third-exemption-year-international-pathway-program

"WGR 550 Bills reporter Sal Capaccio tweeted the news last week, noting that Wade is now essentially “in the exact situation he’s been the last two years.” If Wade does not make Buffalo’s regular-season roster, the Bills can designate him as a protected player on their practice squad, which would have two implications: the team would be unable to call him up to the active roster for the duration of the 2021 season and other teams would be unable to claim Wade for their regular-season rosters."

Edited by cba fan

49 minutes ago, cba fan said:

That is not how program has ever been described. Unless you are saying like any player you can walk away from football at any time. Or you are going with a player telling a team they do not want to go on the Int pathway exempt list and team does the honorable thing granting him his release. Which I think most teams would do for this situation. Bill Belicheck evil emperor maybe being the exception.

?? https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/4/1/22360642/buffalo-bills-running-back-christian-wade-granted-third-exemption-year-international-pathway-program

"WGR 550 Bills reporter Sal Capaccio tweeted the news last week, noting that Wade is now essentially “in the exact situation he’s been the last two years.” If Wade does not make Buffalo’s regular-season roster, the Bills can designate him as a protected player on their practice squad, which would have two implications: the team would be unable to call him up to the active roster for the duration of the 2021 season and other teams would be unable to claim Wade for their regular-season rosters."

Sal is 100% correct, but because it is a tweet with limited space for explanation- that is 1 option for Wade.  I will again go through every scenario that I am aware of.

First - Wade signed a futures contract with Buffalo at the end of last season to come back and try again to make the roster.  I have no idea if the thought of a third year was presented or not, but either way that has little impact except allowing the Bills to have 91 in camp.  He could of chose not to sign and become a FA then to try and find a new team.  He chose to stay with Buffalo.

Wade will get the same opportunity to make the roster that he has the last couple of years: showing up in training camp and hopefully this year preseason games.  If he performs well enough he can make the Bills roster straight out of preseason (very limited chance in my mind).

If he fails to make the roster out of training camp - he along with every other player that doesn’t make it goes through Waivers.  This is his opportunity to be signed by every other team with no compensation.  He is a FA.  Teams could sign him outright to their active roster or approach the agent that he might be considered for a PS spot.

Once he clears waivers - the Bills have a choice - they can offer him a regular PS roster spot and he would be free to get called up (NE used this with their exempt player 2 years ago).  Wade can then sign that contract and he is a plain PS player - free to be called up and free to be poached.

If the Bills feel he still is not ready - they can offer him the IPP exempt PS spot where he is protected from call ups to the active roster, but he also can not be poached (the scenario mentioned by Sal).  This is the most likely scenario and the one that Sal has stated he believe will be used with Wade again this year.

Wade has a choice as each of these is a contracted position - he has to agree to the contract or he can become an unsigned FA.  The problem is that Wade will be making this choice at a point that about 1200 other players have just been cut.  Wade and his agent would have to decide - do they think someone that let him pass on waivers would be willing to sign him to their PS and could he pick up a different offense quickly enough. 

The pay between the 2 would not necessarily be different, but he would be going to a different team with a new playbook and terminology- so he would have to determine can I learn it enough to get a call up - or will I be here until I am cut.

My best guess is that he trusts what Beane and McD are building and what they talk about and he is happy as a part of this team.  My guess is he is still awfully raw and his best and safest course is to be exempted again.  It guarantees him a spot for the entire season. 

The problem is people act like Wade has no say and no control - he does the choices are limited and deciding to not take the exempt position may mean his football career is done, but he has more choices than players 80-90 have as they get cut and are done - no other options.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

How is it any way a positive for CWade to be indentured to the Bills for a third year?  The man should have a chance to play for a team that wants him.  This is just so wrong.

Use of the term “indentured” might get you “doxed” even though it was not used in a way they would disagree with if they understood it, they’ll still make you leave the state (sorry it’s Saturday at 10:27 pm, I’m a little “out of sorts”).  And, I’m watching “The Ten Commandments”!! 🙏

4 hours ago, cba fan said:

That is not how program has ever been described. Unless you are saying like any player you can walk away from football at any time. Or you are going with a player telling a team they do not want to go on the Int pathway exempt list and team does the honorable thing granting him his release via waivers. Which I think most teams would do for this situation. Bill Belicheck evil emperor maybe being the exception.

Just as Rochesterfan described above, the part about being "assigned" with the IPP exemption is an OPTION available if both Wade and the Bills agree to it. And yes, that is the exact situation Wade has been the last 2 years. But, again, as Rochesterfan described, it's not an indentured servant thing. And I prefaced my earlier post that I know it's partly the fault of guys like Sal who print things the way they do. But nobody is holding Christian Wade back. Again-

1 - Wade is currently under contract, just like any other player, for the minimum of $660,000 per year. This contract became effective on March 17th, but was actually signed by Wade back in January. The only difference between Wade and any other player right now is, since the league extended his IPP eligibility, he can once again be on the Bills roster as a 91st player instead of the regular 90.

2 - If Wade doesn't make the 53 man roster, he gets cut and goes on waivers, just like any other player, and just like he was last year and the year before. There is no "assigning" him to the practice squad without going through waivers first. Every player signed to any practice squad - including Wade - is an unrestricted free agent before being signed to any practice squad.

3 - If Wade clear waivers without being claimed (just like he has the last 2 years), he is then free to continue to be an unrestricted free agent. He is free to sign with any team's roster or any team's regular practice squad, including Buffalo's, if they were to offer it to him.

4 - If no team claims Wade on waivers, and no team (including Buffalo) wishes to sign Wade to their roster or regular practice squad, the Bills are allowed, by virtue of the NFL's IPP program's special practice squad exemption, to SIGN Wade to their practice squad as an exempted IPP player. At that point, and only at that point, does Wade become ineligible to be called up or signed by another team throughout the season. This exemption is normally good for 2 seasons, but since there was no preseason last year so no chance for Wade and the other IPP players around the league to get much exposure to game situations, the league extended their above exemption for a 3rd year.  If both Wade and the Bills CHOOSE this option, then Wade will once again be ineligible to be called up or signed to another team - just like he was the last 2 years when, after not being claimed on waivers or having accepted any team's regular practice squad's offer (if any was offered, not likely), Wade chose to sign onto the Bills practice squad as the designated IPP player and accepting it's limitations.

I don't care how it's been described, that's how it is. In fact I prefaced my original post by saying I know most writers like Sal don't do a good enough job of describing the actual situation. Regardless, nobody is holding Wade back from going to another team by "assinging" him to the practice squad as an IPP player without his consent. Wade can only be "assigned" as such by mutual agreement. And that option for such agreement has been extended by the league to the Bills and Wade for a 3rd year - meaning yes, he's in the same situation he was the last 2 years.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/4/2021 at 1:39 AM, Tuco said:

Just as Rochesterfan described above, the part about being "assigned" with the IPP exemption is an OPTION available if both Wade and the Bills agree to it. And yes, that is the exact situation Wade has been the last 2 years. But, again, as Rochesterfan described, it's not an indentured servant thing. And I prefaced my earlier post that I know it's partly the fault of guys like Sal who print things the way they do. But nobody is holding Christian Wade back. Again-

1 - Wade is currently under contract, just like any other player, for the minimum of $660,000 per year. This contract became effective on March 17th, but was actually signed by Wade back in January. The only difference between Wade and any other player right now is, since the league extended his IPP eligibility, he can once again be on the Bills roster as a 91st player instead of the regular 90.

2 - If Wade doesn't make the 53 man roster, he gets cut and goes on waivers, just like any other player, and just like he was last year and the year before. There is no "assigning" him to the practice squad without going through waivers first. Every player signed to any practice squad - including Wade - is an unrestricted free agent before being signed to any practice squad.

3 - If Wade clear waivers without being claimed (just like he has the last 2 years), he is then free to continue to be an unrestricted free agent. He is free to sign with any team's roster or any team's regular practice squad, including Buffalo's, if they were to offer it to him.

4 - If no team claims Wade on waivers, and no team (including Buffalo) wishes to sign Wade to their roster or regular practice squad, the Bills are allowed, by virtue of the NFL's IPP program's special practice squad exemption, to SIGN Wade to their practice squad as an exempted IPP player. At that point, and only at that point, does Wade become ineligible to be called up or signed by another team throughout the season. This exemption is normally good for 2 seasons, but since there was no preseason last year so no chance for Wade and the other IPP players around the league to get much exposure to game situations, the league extended their above exemption for a 3rd year.  If both Wade and the Bills CHOOSE this option, then Wade will once again be ineligible to be called up or signed to another team - just like he was the last 2 years when, after not being claimed on waivers or having accepted any team's regular practice squad's offer (if any was offered, not likely), Wade chose to sign onto the Bills practice squad as the designated IPP player and accepting it's limitations.

I don't care how it's been described, that's how it is. In fact I prefaced my original post by saying I know most writers like Sal don't do a good enough job of describing the actual situation. Regardless, nobody is holding Wade back from going to another team by "assinging" him to the practice squad as an IPP player without his consent. Wade can only be "assigned" as such by mutual agreement. And that option for such agreement has been extended by the league to the Bills and Wade for a 3rd year - meaning yes, he's in the same situation he was the last 2 years.

ty Tuco and Rochesterfan.....yes this clears it up for me. Sal always left out detail. Sorry i made you two type all that but dam i could not find that on line anywhere.

Edited by cba fan

2 minutes ago, cba fan said:

ty Tuco and Rochesterfan.....yes this clears it up for me. Sal always left out detail. Sorry i made you two type all that but dam i could not find that on line anywhere.

It is no problem and I know Sal knows all of this as he has talked about it on his various WGR duties.  The issue tends to be space for context.  It takes more than a simple Twitter box to explain - especially with context.

I do feel for Wade because he seems like a very talented and fun guy and I would love to see more of him, but the NFL (especially on a Super Bowl contender) can be heartless and there is just so much more to being a RB (or any position) than can be learned in 1 preseason.

His age now starts to catch up, but it is obvious that his teammates love and respect him and even though he may never get to play a true NFL down - he got to spend time with a bunch of teammates that make the entire experience.  He can bring that back to the UK if he can’t go further, but at least now he has some more time to learn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

How likely is it at 30 or 31 when the season starts that Wade sees any action in the NFL when players are typically falling off at that position?

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

How likely is it at 30 or 31 when the season starts that Wade sees any action in the NFL when players are typically falling off at that position?

It's extremely unlikely that he ever does. IMO had they not extended the pathway program - this would have been it for him. I know he's an awesome story and he had a couple good runs in the Pre-Season a couple seasons ago. But let's be honest here - if the Bills really saw something in him - his career would have taken the Efe Obada path instead of the path he's on now.

• 3 months later...